PDA

View Full Version : Crusader/Warlock/JPH?

Talbot
2011-03-21, 05:53 PM
Is there a good way to build a Crusader/Warlock and get into Jade Phoenix Mage? The less cheese, the better.

Also, I'm a little unclear on how Warlock progression works in PRCs to begin with. Does it only influence Eldritch Blast or do they keep learning invocations? If so, do they still unlock lesser and greater invocations as the go (I'm assuming it'd be tough to get dark on a multiclass)?

Is Crusader/Warlock even a particularly decent combo?

FMArthur
2011-03-21, 06:12 PM
Well, are there any ways to take advantage of your threatening spaces with an Eldritch Glaive?

Cog
2011-03-21, 06:21 PM
Also, I'm a little unclear on how Warlock progression works in PRCs to begin with. Does it only influence Eldritch Blast or do they keep learning invocations?
Complete Arcane has your answer, on page 18 (separate from the rest of the Warlock material, for some reason).

Warlocks don't get spells, though, so they don't qualify for JPM without shenanigans.

Talbot
2011-03-22, 02:02 AM
What's the least-cheesy shenanigan I could use to qualify?

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 04:58 AM
Wizard levels? :smalltongue:

Darrin
2011-03-22, 05:56 AM
What's the least-cheesy shenanigan I could use to qualify?

Crusader 2/Wizard 3/Warlock 1
Crusader 1/Sorcerer 4/Warlock 1

Shenanigans:
Start with Crusader 1/Sorcerer 1/Warlock 4

Method 1) Sanctum Spell (Complete Arcane). Requires another metamagic feat, but solid by RAW.

Method 2) Race: Illumian, take Improved Sigil (Krau) feat (Races of Destiny). Still solid by RAW, but requires a quirky subrace, and thus you lose the potential bonus feat from human/azurin/strongheart halfling.

Method 3) Versatile Spellcaster (Races of the Dragon) + Heighten Spell. While Versatile Spellcaster works fine by RAW, you have to "know" a 2nd level spell. Heighten Spell may be somewhat dodgy, since it doesn't add any 2nd level spells to your "spells known", but there other ways to get around that: Arcane Disciple, Drake-Helm, Precocious Apprentice, Bloodline feats, Knowstones, or taking a level of Beguiler or Warmage instead of Sorcerer (i.e., any class that already knows their entire spell list as soon as they can cast them).

Your optimum entry into JPM is probably Crusader 1/Beguiler 1/Warlock 4 with Versatile Spellcaster. This only costs 1 feat (no Heighten Spell necessary), gives you +6 skill points (along with a nice selection of class skills), and you also gain Trapfinding. The only snag is if your DM rules that Versatile Spellcaster doesn't count for "When you gain access to a new level of spells, you automatically know all spells for that level on the beguiler's spell list". If that's the case, Sanctum Spell or Improved Sigil (Krau) should still work.

Actually, might be best to take your first Crusader level at ECL 5, so you have a slightly wider variety of maneuvers to pick from (1st and 2nd level maneuvers). Are you trying to optimize caster levels or initiator levels?

Escheton
2011-03-22, 12:21 PM
Crusader and warlock are difficult to mix without homebrewing.
Complete mage, which has a few warlock prestiges, has nothing from ToB.
ToB has no prestiges catered for warlocks.

Wiz/warlock: eldritch theurge
Wiz/crusader: JPM
Crusader/warlock: profit?