PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 to 3.5?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-21, 07:14 PM
I'm going to be getting the Iron kingdoms character guide and world guide and I understand they were written for 3.0 rules. Now I never played 3.0 and I was wondering what the major adjustments would be.

LOTRfan
2011-03-21, 07:16 PM
Feat progression is a little different, a few spells are poorly written, and there are many more skills. I am not sure what else (besides minor differences in monster stat blocks).

holywhippet
2011-03-21, 07:32 PM
Main differences between 3.0 and 3.5:

- some weaker classes got buffed up a bit, particularly ranger and monk.
- bard spell list was majorly overhauled
- damage reduction was changed so that having an enchanted weapon no longer works the same as having a weapon that is treated with cold iron/alchemical silver etc.
- some spells were changed in effect.

For a campaign world though, I don't expect huge changes will be required as for the most part the two editions are pretty similar.

HunterOfJello
2011-03-21, 07:41 PM
- some weaker classes got buffed up a bit, particularly ranger and monk.

Monks were even worse in 3e? Wow.

Yora
2011-03-22, 07:42 AM
Using 3.0 material in a 3.5 game isn't really much of a problem. What will probably come up most often are such strange looking Damage Reductions like DR 10/+2. It meant that you needed a +2 weapon to overcome it. The best thing to solve that is to look to similar creatures in 3.5 books (like another demon or another archon) and use the DR listed there. Also energy resistance was a great deal higher in 3.0, so if you find something that has fire resistance 30, better reduce that to half that amount.

Other than that, there might be a few NPCs whose description say something about them casting two spells in the same round by using the haste spell, which did work in 3.0, but was wisely removed.

Other than that, you mostly can use all material as presented, though you should take a careful look when using feats or spells from such books.

DonEsteban
2011-03-22, 08:23 AM
Have a look at this: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a