PDA

View Full Version : Why? Who likes this show?

druid91
2011-03-21, 08:31 PM
Aside from my mother...

I am talking of course about the bad girls club. Apparently the idea is to take all those girls who act like idiot high schoolers and put them together in a house and watch them try and form cliques and backstab each other until everything implodes.

Most of it consists of boasting, tantrums, and screaming shut up at each other. The rest is them trying to get guys/getting drunk.

I don't even look at the screen and I know that there is nothing more worthwhile than a train wreck on. Heck a train wreck would be more interesting.

Why on earth is this show aparently popular?

toasty
2011-03-21, 08:32 PM
It sounds like a rip off of Jersey Shore.

Hint: that show is really popular.

An Enemy Spy
2011-03-21, 09:10 PM
Sounds like every reality show these days.

toasty
2011-03-21, 09:32 PM

Some are actually interesting. Like the Amazing Race.

Lord Seth
2011-03-21, 09:36 PM
It sounds like a rip off of Jersey Shore.Bad Girls Club actually came out three years before Jersey Shore.

Though it's not like the idea of "let's take a bunch of people, put them somewhere, and film their wacky misadventures" is a particularly new idea; The Real World premiered in 1992.

RTGoodman
2011-03-21, 09:36 PM

These days? You can pretty much blame this whole thing on "The Real World," and it started in way back 1992.

EDIT: Curse you Lord Seth! :smallyuk: :smalltongue:

druid91
2011-03-21, 09:45 PM
Bad Girls Club actually came out three years before Jersey Shore.

Though it's not like the idea of "let's take a bunch of people, put them somewhere, and film their wacky misadventures" is a particularly new idea; The Real World premiered in 1992.

But, it's not wacky misadventures, it's hours of girls screaming expletives at each other and trash talking in little interviews, with maybe five minutes of misadventures if you're lucky.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-21, 11:04 PM
Most of it consists of boasting, tantrums, and screaming shut up at each other. The rest is them trying to get guys/getting drunk.

So generic reality show #1,287?

Shyftir
2011-03-21, 11:09 PM
It makes those who are (nominally) well-adjusted feel better about their own foibles when they have the dregs of human existence paraded in front of them on the mind-rotting device on a daily basis.

At least that's my theory.

Lurkmoar
2011-03-21, 11:15 PM
It makes those who are (nominally) well-adjusted feel better about their own foibles when they have the dregs of human existence paraded in front of them on the mind-rotting device on a daily basis.

At least that's my theory.

I wish to subscribe to that theory. Are internet cookies an acceptable payment?

Maybe they're watching to see if another girl injures herself?

Lord Seth
2011-03-22, 01:39 AM
Why on earth is this show aparently popular?Is it popular?

I ask that seriously. First off, before this, I never heard of it. Now obviously that's a bit subjective...Glee is the #1 scripted show on TV right now (well, at least in the target demographic) and there's some people who haven't heard of it. Ditto with NCIS, the #1 scripted show in overall viewers.

But more objectively, the ratings don't seem that amazing. For cable, they're decent enough, but it doesn't place in the top 25 weekly cable ratings, take a look at the most recent one (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/03/15/cable-top-25-jersey-shore-wwe-raw-the-best-player-spongebob-lakersheat-top-weekly-cable-viewing/85817). Granted, it's not a perfect comparison as it counts only total viewers rather than demographics, and some of the shows have completely different targets (I doubt the makers of Spongebob Squarepants are going for NCIS's audience) but still, it doesn't place.

chiasaur11
2011-03-22, 03:35 AM
Well, Joel McHale watches it.

Admittedly, he's paid to do so.

Shyftir
2011-03-22, 11:04 AM
I wish to subscribe to that theory. Are internet cookies an acceptable payment?

Maybe they're watching to see if another girl injures herself?

Yes, I do, in fact accept internet cookies as tender for my (less than) infinite wisdom, though it is freely offered. (I only take donations.)

Though the concept of watching real people for entertainment is quite old. Have you ever heard of "people watching"? It's still quite despicable where the form has gone.

Warlawk
2011-03-22, 02:24 PM
When I read the title my first thought was that this would be a thread on Tom Goes to the Mayor or T&EASGJ. I just cannot put into words how awful that garbage is.

Really though, not exposing yourself to TV is one of the best things you could do for yourself. I can happily say that the only Reality TV I've ever seen was a couple episodes of that animated superhero real world that was around a few years back.

druid91
2011-03-22, 02:38 PM
When I read the title my first thought was that this would be a thread on Tom Goes to the Mayor or T&EASGJ. I just cannot put into words how awful that garbage is.

Really though, not exposing yourself to TV is one of the best things you could do for yourself. I can happily say that the only Reality TV I've ever seen was a couple episodes of that animated superhero real world that was around a few years back.

The problem is, they crank the volume up to the 40's. I can comfortably watch it from the same couch, at less than half of that. Unless some serious whispering is going on, then it's maybe a couple of notches up.

At the volume they watch I can be in the other room playing battlefront and still hear enough to know what's going on.

Lord Seth
2011-03-22, 03:59 PM
Really though, not exposing yourself to TV is one of the best things you could do for yourself.I staunchly disagree. Yeah, there's a lot of bad TV shows out there, but there's a lot of bad in any medium. I really do dislike the rather snobbish "TV is bad!" mindset that some people seem to have (the strawman Mike Teevee character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory annoyed the heck out of me). Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.
I can happily say that the only Reality TV I've ever seen was a couple episodes of that animated superhero real world that was around a few years back.And that's another problem I have, the stereotyping of reality TV. Yeah, a whole lot of it is not good, but some shows, like The Amazing Race, are pretty decent.

leakingpen
2011-03-22, 04:08 PM
Today, 02:36 AM Lord Seth
Today 02:36 AM rtg0922

D-D-D-D-D-D-DOUBLE POST!

Soilborn
2011-03-22, 04:08 PM
See while your argument is valid, those shows aren't mainstream enough. I was dropping in here expecting something about Mind of Mencia or Two and a Half Men.

Though I will admit that Charlie Sheen has risen the later to a level with some semblance of WINNING.

Warlawk
2011-03-24, 01:04 PM
I staunchly disagree. Yeah, there's a lot of bad TV shows out there, but there's a lot of bad in any medium. I really do dislike the rather snobbish "TV is bad!" mindset that some people seem to have (the strawman Mike Teevee character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory annoyed the heck out of me). Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

If you dig through a pile of feces to find a quarter, yeah... you have a quarter but you're still covered in feces.

There are a few nice hidden tidbits of goodness on TV out there, and that's great but the sheer level of drek you have to endure to get them is pretty staggering. Even if you only watch those little bits you still end up with commercials that are so terrible as to actually be insulting many times. With the rise of modern media, you can find most of the things that are worth watching without actually having to "watch tv". The internet, Netflix on demand and other similar services are quickly rendering traditional TV obsolete for the coming generations. Issues of picture quality and such will be overcome in time, and the old way of watching things will (thankfully) end.

I'm not saying nothing good ever came of TV. But I do stand by my statement. One of the best things you could do for yourself is look into one of the TV alternatives to watch the few things worth watching (generally much cheaper as well) and cancel your cable/satellite.

EDIT:

See while your argument is valid, those shows aren't mainstream enough.

That entirely depends on context. On a forum for a gaming webcomic that has turned into a major forum for gaming related subjects I think the shows I named are probably just as well known as the ones you named, or at least very very close to it.

druid91
2011-03-24, 01:36 PM
If you dig through a pile of feces to find a quarter, yeah... you have a quarter but you're still covered in feces.

There are a few nice hidden tidbits of goodness on TV out there, and that's great but the sheer level of drek you have to endure to get them is pretty staggering. Even if you only watch those little bits you still end up with commercials that are so terrible as to actually be insulting many times. With the rise of modern media, you can find most of the things that are worth watching without actually having to "watch tv". The internet, Netflix on demand and other similar services are quickly rendering traditional TV obsolete for the coming generations. Issues of picture quality and such will be overcome in time, and the old way of watching things will (thankfully) end.

I'm not saying nothing good ever came of TV. But I do stand by my statement. One of the best things you could do for yourself is look into one of the TV alternatives to watch the few things worth watching (generally much cheaper as well) and cancel your cable/satellite.

EDIT:

That entirely depends on context. On a forum for a gaming webcomic that has turned into a major forum for gaming related subjects I think the shows I named are probably just as well known as the ones you named, or at least very very close to it.

Well one problem is we don't have, nor can we get high speed internet. We've been fighting with Verizon for years now to get it.

Lord Seth
2011-03-24, 03:15 PM

There are a few nice hidden tidbits of goodness on TV out there, and that's great but the sheer level of drek you have to endure to get them is pretty staggering.And that's true about books. And movies. And video games. And comics, be they print or web. And music. And every single other medium I can think of. What makes TV in particular so bad that you claim that it's better to not bother watching any of it? By your argument you might as well avoid every medium.

Warlawk
2011-03-24, 04:12 PM
And that's true about books. And movies. And video games. And comics, be they print or web. And music. And every single other medium I can think of. What makes TV in particular so bad that you claim that it's better to not bother watching any of it? By your argument you might as well avoid every medium.

Eh, we have a differing opinion then. It's been my experience that it is generally pretty easy to sort good from bad for books, movies and music with minimal investment of effort. I would also say we differ in that to my tastes and choices there is an extremely small amount of content on TV in the first place that I would want to watch. A good portion of the things I might want to watch, I could read instead and would prefer to.

I think a big part of the reason you see people who dislike TV being so rabid about it is that it is so prevalent. A fair number of people don't read recreationally, or play games, or read comics, or follow music, granted it's less but some people really don't watch movies (A good buddy of mine virtually never watches movies unless his wife really wants to see it). How many people just flat do not watch TV? It's not common, and it seems like everyone, everywhere wants to talk about [insert popular tv show] every day. It's tedious. When you don't watch TV and it seems like everyone at your work talks about it every spare moment, it gets old fast. It tends to make people overcompensate and come off as rabid TV haters. I think this probably plays a big part in it.

Lord Seth
2011-03-24, 04:49 PM
Eh, we have a differing opinion then. It's been my experience that it is generally pretty easy to sort good from bad for books, movies and music with minimal investment of effort.I don't see how. Watching one episode of a TV show isn't hard, and is going to cost you a lot less than movies. Assuming you watch the whole episode, one episode of a TV show costs you one hour (or less) and...that's it. For movies, it costs you several hours, the amount of time you spent going to and from the theater, and the amount of money you paid for it.

Music admittedly is pretty easy due to the songs being only a few minutes.

With books, depends on the show and depends on the book which one is "easier."

I would also say we differ in that to my tastes and choices there is an extremely small amount of content on TV in the first place that I would want to watch.If you don't like much on TV, that's fine, but to objectively declare that "not exposing yourself to TV is one of the best things you can do for yourself" is pretty ridiculous.

I think a big part of the reason you see people who dislike TV being so rabid about it is that it is so prevalent. A fair number of people don't read recreationally, or play games, or read comics, or follow music, granted it's less but some people really don't watch movies (A good buddy of mine virtually never watches movies unless his wife really wants to see it). How many people just flat do not watch TV? It's not common, and it seems like everyone, everywhere wants to talk about [insert popular tv show] every day. It's tedious. When you don't watch TV and it seems like everyone at your work talks about it every spare moment, it gets old fast. It tends to make people overcompensate and come off as rabid TV haters. I think this probably plays a big part in it.But that still doesn't make it any worse or better than other mediums. That's really an argument as to why it shouldn't be considered worse or better.

Kageru
2011-03-24, 05:45 PM
And that's true about books. And movies. And video games. And comics, be they print or web. And music. And every single other medium I can think of. What makes TV in particular so bad that you claim that it's better to not bother watching any of it? By your argument you might as well avoid every medium.
I would say TV is more akin to radio than to music. You can pick what you prefer to watch/hear but your selection is heavily limited cause each channel only shows you one thing at a time. A limited selection increases the chance that even the best pick is still mediocre.Sure there can be great things to watch, but it's based on luck. If you use other ways to get shows you have a much wider selection and thus it becomes easier to get something good instead of something which is just okay.(Though other methods often cost money or are illegal.)
Actually I only posted to say that the comparison between books movies etc. and TV isn't quite right because a schedule is part of the TV concept, so I won't get farther in the pro or contra TV debate. (Personally I haven't watched TV for a year or two but that's because I'm an anime fan in a country without a decent anime channel. TV is a decent and cheap way to follow weekly shows.)

Orzel
2011-03-24, 05:51 PM
Reality show # 126?

If I want to watch reality TV, I watch political opinion shows or wrestling.

Lord Seth
2011-03-24, 06:28 PM
I would say TV is more akin to radio than to music. You can pick what you prefer to watch/hear but your selection is heavily limited cause each channel only shows you one thing at a time. A limited selection increases the chance that even the best pick is still mediocre.Sure there can be great things to watch, but it's based on luck.I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. If I see something about a TV show that looks interesting, I just have to look up when it's at, then sit down and watch it. Or if the timing doesn't work out, record it and then watch it.

Sure, if you look at what's on TV at a random time, you're going to be limited in what you can watch. But that's akin to randomly picking a bookshelf in a bookstore and only being able to choose books from that.

Eldonauran
2011-03-25, 11:38 AM
I'm with Warlawk on this one. The only reason I own a TV is to watch movies and/or play video games. Occasionally, I will record a show on my DVR while someone else in the house is watching cable but the amount of television I watch is exceedingly low. I watch MAYBE 2 hours a week of cable. The only 'reality show' that I watch is American Idol, and then that's just for the new renditions of the music.

Netflix + internet is where I get the most of my screen time but I'd rather be gaming.

I also read books recreationally and finding decent stuff is a pain. Not too many authors write the stuff I like, and when they do, its filled with stuff that I don't.

invinible
2011-04-24, 01:06 AM
SpongeBob is on that top 25 rated list 7 times.

Lappy9000
2011-04-24, 01:24 AM
SpongeBob is on that top 25 rated list 7 times.Yup. Love that show.

thubby
2011-04-24, 01:29 AM
am talking of course about the bad girls club. Apparently the idea is to take all those girls who act like idiot high schoolers

and backstab each other until everything implodes.

watching the popular girls rip each other apart is a revenge fantasy for many women.
kind of like watching a bully get their comeuppance.

John Cribati
2011-04-24, 04:43 PM
kind of like watching a bully get their comeuppance.

Bully Beatdown is indeed one of the best shows ever.