PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 prestige class PEACH) Skirmisher

Seharvepernfan
2011-03-22, 12:49 AM
Notes: I wanted a quick and easy 3 level prestige class that grants the ability to move around the battlefield efficiently and improves action economy, but doesnt interfere with class progression (because I think too many prestige classes do). I also wanted it to be available to any class, although obviously its easier for some to qualify than others, which is fine.

Skirmisher
d4
2+int skill points per level
balance, craft, climb, hide, jump, move silently, listen, spot, swim, tumble
Prerequisites: Spring attack or Shot on the run (and ideally there should be a move-cast-move feat that would qualify, like mobile spellcasting, but with dodge and mobility as prereqs)
5 ranks of balance, jump, and tumble

Class abilities:
1: Ignore 5ft. of difficult terrain, readied action (1/2 speed)
2: Ignore 10ft. of difficult terrain, readied action (move-action-move)
3: Ignore 15ft. of difficult terrain, readied action (full speed)

Continuation of class abilities: The skirmisher continues progressing in one previous class's abilities, such as spellcasting, sneak attack, bonus feats, maneuvers, trap sense, etc. The skirmishers' bab progression continues the same as the previous class chosen (1/2 for wizard, 3/4 for rogue, 1/1 for fighter, etc.).

Ignore difficult terrain: The skirmisher can treat one square of difficult terrain/narrow space/obstacle per level as if it weren't difficult terrain/narrow space/obstacle in regards to moving at ones speed. This doesn't apply to skill checks involving movement such as balance or tumble.

Readied action: At 1st level, a skirmisher who is readying an action can move up to half his speed as a swift action before or after he uses his readied action, even if he's already used his move action for the round, and he can still use his move action if he hasnt already in addition to the free movement.

At 2nd level the skirmisher can take a swift action to move before and after his readied action, as long as the total movement is equal to or less than half his speed.

At 3rd level the skirmisher can move his full speed instead of half.

PEACH

Seharvepernfan
2011-03-23, 12:39 AM
nobody?
really?

The Antigamer
2011-03-23, 04:18 AM
You'd probably get more responses with a table. You've got a really weird thing going on with progressing in your previous classes. Also, when half of your entire class is blown out of the water by a single spell or class ability, something might be off about its balance.

Seharvepernfan
2011-03-24, 04:42 AM
The class is meant as a supplement to any other class, not as a class in itself (and I dont think its powerful enough to warrant being a full class of its own), and what spell are we talking about here?

SPoD
2011-03-24, 07:03 AM
The class is meant as a supplement to any other class, not as a class in itself (and I dont think its powerful enough to warrant being a full class of its own),

In that case, it probably shouldn't be a class. How about making it a group of feats? One for ignoring difficult terrain and another for moving before or after a readied action? They're both very specific abilities, after all. How often do people ready actions in combat rather than just attacking?

Also, the Scout class ability Flawless Stride allows him to ignore the movement cost of ALL difficult terrain, no matter how far he moves.

Veklim
2011-03-24, 11:10 AM
How often do people ready actions in combat rather than just attacking?

All the time actually, counter-spell, counter-charge, waiting for someone to move into range, waiting for someone to move out of the way, occassionally just procrastinating for the sheer fun of it.
:smallbiggrin:

Veklim
2011-03-24, 11:14 AM
Spring attack or Shot on the run (and ideally there should be a move-cast-move feat that would qualify, like mobile spellcasting, but with dodge and mobility as prereqs)

I'd argue that spring attack would qualify for any touch attack as part of a spell (i.e. harm), and shot on the run for any ranged attack with a spell (any ray or ranged touch attack). Anything which is merely 'target' and has no roll to hit should not benefit from either because it is not an attack. Spellcasting is powerful enough as is!

Of course, even with that restriction, a spellwarp sniper can abuse other spells and effects.

jiriku
2011-03-24, 11:18 AM
I'd agree. You obviously intend for this to a) not interrupt progression in a primary class, and b) be equally applicable to any character, regardless of their class of origin. That just screams "feat chain". Or perhaps, with appropriate prerequisites, a single tactical feat.

Veklim
2011-03-24, 01:39 PM
I'd agree. You obviously intend for this to a) not interrupt progression in a primary class, and b) be equally applicable to any character, regardless of their class of origin. That just screams "feat chain". Or perhaps, with appropriate prerequisites, a single tactical feat.

Nuff sed.:smallwink: