PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What's the best blaster build?

Endarire
2011-03-22, 02:10 AM
Nevermind the optimality of a blaster. Let's assume I'm making one as such:

-Would greatly prefer not to be gear-dependent. No guarantees my GM will give me what I need.
-Campaign begins at ECL1 and ends at an indefinite level. Party mates are uncertain.
-All sources are allowed pending GM approval. Anything from "Dungeon" or "Dragon" you suggest requires the you include the full text.

I've considered Wizards, Psions, Sorcerers, and Warlocks, but am unsure which class would work best for this. Psion immediately came to mind because of the small number of versatile powers (energy missile, energy ball, and gemstone breath (Dragon Magic) should suffice) and so I can easily nab astral construct. Psicrystals can be spiffy, too.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 02:16 AM
I think Incantatrix fueled mailman build is the highest DPR caster build. Something like 700+ point Orbs of Fire (that ignore immunity), or 83 average level Enervations. Improved Metamagic and Arcane Thesis go a LONG ways.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-22, 02:30 AM
I agree, I don't know anything superior to the mailman before hitting Punpun territory. Either way, I believe you're looking at a wizard, while teh build, I think, can be modified for a sorcerer.

Is Cindy a version of the mailman, or is he a refined version of her?

For a less insane blaster, I believe psions traditionally blast casters out of the water.

Zaq
2011-03-22, 02:35 AM
I concur; Incantatrix is pretty much where it's at if you want to squeeze every point of damage out of your spells.

That said, Psion isn't a bad choice. It's definitely on the shelf below the Incantatrix, but it's less likely to make your party hate you, if you're not already playing in a hyper-optimized group. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Burrowing Power is a unique trick (and I'm always happy to find something that a Wizard has to really strain to replicate). Get your Psicraft check up as high as it will go; after a certain point, your opponent can be an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil and you don't have to care. Sure, stacking metamagic is a lot easier than stacking metapsionics, so it's definitely harder to push the limits of what you can crank out in a single round, but Psions still make rock-solid blasters.

Incantatrix still wins in the end, of course.

Darrin
2011-03-22, 07:13 AM
Is Cindy a version of the mailman, or is he a refined version of her?

I think she pre-dates the Mailman. Most of her metamagic tricks were all-day persisted buffs that made her undetectable and untargetable (greater invisibility, ironguard, etc.). For offense, I see it mentioned frequently that she used orbs of fire, but by the time he worked up Akakrin (for a different campaign, slightly updated version of Cindy), I think Tippy had switched to enervation.

Gnoman
2011-03-22, 07:45 AM
You could try the Mongoose book Encyclopedia Arcane: Battle Magic. The spells and classes in that book lack the absurdly high single target damage you can get to, but they're as far above regular wizards for area damage as regular wizards are above fighters.

Douglas
2011-03-22, 08:09 AM
Psion is probably the easiest to build with significant blasting output and flexibility, but it tops out low relative to an optimized wizard or sorcerer blaster.

For really good blasting you'll want Wizard/Incantatrix with lots of metamagic. Arcane Thesis on one or two carefully chosen spells (Orb of X and Enervation are good choices) is immensely important, too.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-22, 09:01 AM
For absolute best damage output (and factoring in only that), Mailman Sorc. If you instead are intent on psionics, I don't recommend psion base, May I instead suggest Wilder. You get less powers known, but with wild surge you can raise those powers to rediculous levels. One of the ACFs gives you more powers known. Also wilder is slightly more survivable. Wilder is easily the best base class at blastomancy (I make no claim at their superiority once PRCs get involved).

Galathir
2011-03-22, 09:53 AM
This won't get you as far with sheer damage, but if you're looking for versatility, few things beat a properly built Shadowcraft Mage. With the proper class levels and feats, being able to spontaneously cast any Evocation, Conjuration [summoning], and Conjuration [creation] spell allows you to blast your way through just about any encounter. Throw in a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, and a Planar Bubble, and you get free maximized spells on top of the double duration from Extended Illusion.

Plus, when you get tired of blasting your surroundings, you can summon things to make the encounter more interesting.

Eldan
2011-03-22, 09:59 AM
It is important to note, however, that I think that at least at low levels, psions are quite a bit more useful than wizards, as metamagic reducers aren't available yet. They can deal several kinds of damage with the same spell, which the wizard has to wait for (the wizard can use force damage too, but that's usually lower).

Eldariel
2011-03-22, 11:42 AM
It is important to note, however, that I think that at least at low levels, psions are quite a bit more useful than wizards, as metamagic reducers aren't available yet. They can deal several kinds of damage with the same spell, which the wizard has to wait for (the wizard can use force damage too, but that's usually lower).

Wizards can deal more, however; it's fairly easy to inflate your caster level to the point where you can nuke for over double your leveld6 on low levels. Psionics get Overchannel > Talented and that's it; and even then you pay extra "slots" for the damage. Also, many meta reducers are available from level 1 so a build focused around those can do pretty sick stuff from early on (let me direct your attention to Fell Drain Magic Missiles on level 1, for example).

Darrin
2011-03-22, 11:27 PM
Here's Cindy (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=5890), or at least a version of her. Her signature orb of fire is detailed in the "Other Notes" section.

Akakrin (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=7809)/Akkarin [sic?] was supposed to be paired up with her as a team, but he favored enervation.

Endarire
2011-03-23, 12:50 AM
Which builds are best for levels 1-3?

When do Wizards have their heyday? Sorcerers? Psions?

Darth Stabber
2011-03-23, 01:02 AM
1-4 is actually the warlock's heyday. 5-8 is psionics, after that it's all arcane.

The big question is TO vs PO. on a practical level wilder is the blasto king starting at lvl 6. Going with some rather cheesy theoretical optimization gives the advantage to wizard and sorcerer (then the difference is versatility v. Endurance since actual power difference negligable given they can each utilize the same cheese).

Lateral
2011-03-23, 09:25 AM
I'd actually go with Psion over Wilder, since a Kineticist gets some of the best blast powers (Energy Missile, anyone?) that Wilders can't get without spending a buncha feats on Expanded Knowledges. Also, psions have enough powers known that you can get all the blast powers you need, and still have plenty of room for versatility and out-of-combat use. Wilder's advantages are:

Better BAB, which isn't important for a blaster
Wild Surge, which actually gets more dangerous as you progress
Better HD, but only d4 versus d6 and that difference isn't really very much if you have decent CON.

So, personally, I'd say to stick with Psion. I haven't read CPsi recently, but I think that Anarchic Initiate is great for a blaster Psion.

Edit: Reread it. It's great; full manifesting progression, Chaotic Surge can be used with Overchannel and gives you bonuses more often than penalties, it grants Wild Surge to a Psion at 3rd level (negating one of the Wilder's advantages), you get a free feat (and a pretty good one, too) at 8th level, and the Chaotic Breaches are cool, flavorful abilities.

Essence_of_War
2011-03-23, 10:37 AM
If the Incantatrix isn't banned, Sorcerer->Incantatrix is pretty absurd. Building an all-out mailman is likely to get a DMG thrown at you though. Moreover, it really comes into its own at higher levels. For a lower level blaster that will stay relevant through higher levels, I would play a psion->anarchic initiate. The best thing about the psion is that you only really need 2-3 powers to blast effectively.
1) Energy Missile - Supremely Important, it all hangs together because the save scales so amazingly.
2) Crystal Shard - less important, good for diversification for getting the guys who have energy immunity or lots of resistances
3) Psionic Disintegrate - extra saucy against the undead and low fort save folk.
4) Ego Whip - for hitting the low will save folk.

Unfortunately, the most important of these is on a discipline list, and one of the best psionic powers in general (Astral Construct) is on a different discipline list, and a 3rd discipline (Egoist) has a plethora of awesome powers. You'll have to decide how to proceed, but one effective way of reconciling these things is to be a psion, choose Egoist, but then burn 2 feats on Expanded Knowledge to get Astral Construct and Energy Missile. This allows you to take advantage of awesome powers like Hustle and Metamorphosis and takes advantage of the fact that both Astral Construct and Energy Missile are low level so you should be able to nab them both early with Expanded Knowledge. Alternatively, you could just play a Kineticist (I would still spend the feat on Astral Construct though!) and forget about the Egoist powers. I'm not partial to this path.

Anyway, with those 4 powers under your belt you can hit all of the major weaknesses of enemies. If you have clumps of enemies, hit them with the biggest energy missile you can, preferably fire or cold for extra damage. If you have lone enemies or small groups, try to gauge their weaknesses. Big fighters get brought down hard by Ego Whip and are likely to take massive damage from non-cold energy missiles. Casters with lower hp are vulnerable to cold energy missiles, and crystal shards. Things with hardness beg for sonic energy missiles, anything inanimate and anything undead are asking for a psionic disintegrate.

Psyren
2011-03-23, 11:03 AM
Note that Psions can also get Wild Surge via Anarchic Initiate. Furthermore, by RAW they get it without Enervation, though attempting to argue that will likely get CPsi chucked at your cranium by an irate DM.

But honestly, I would recommend Ardent over Psion as the best psionic blaster.
Not only do you get Wilder BAB (useful for rays), can wear armor and use shields out of the box etc, but you also get Dominant Ideal, which is positively lethal on the energy mantle. (This gives you magic's primary advantage, i.e. stacking metamagic.) Then, use mantle substitution to plop gems like EM into it.

The best part is that Ardents can easily be Anarchic Initiates too if you really want Wild Surge (along with the same RAW loophole Psions get) - or, you can go with my preferred option, Subverted Psion. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20051125a) Taint lets you force impossible save DCs on your various blasts while simultaneously getting tons more ammunition via all the bonus PP; and since you are Wis-based, your chances of going insane are pretty much nil.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-23, 11:13 AM
I think Incantatrix fueled mailman build is the highest DPR caster build. Something like 700+ point Orbs of Fire (that ignore immunity), or 83 average level Enervations. Improved Metamagic and Arcane Thesis go a LONG ways.

It's not the highest damage per round...but it's undoubtedly among the most reliable damage, where damage > any reasonable target you could possibly face from any book.

That is, IMO, more important than number inflation.

A properly build Force Missile Mage is also quite lethal. Warmage makes an excellent starter. Lots and lots of metamagic is your friend. Popping into Incantatrix is legit. If you're not, human paragon is solid.

gomipile
2011-03-23, 01:07 PM
Note that Psions can also get Wild Surge via Anarchic Initiate. Furthermore, by RAW they get it without Enervation, though attempting to argue that will likely get CPsi chucked at your cranium by an irate DM.

Actually, if I'm reading it correctly, a Psion/Anarchic Initiate gets Wild Surge without losing power points to enervation. They would still be dazed for a round.

Sinfonian
2011-03-23, 01:24 PM
Actually, if I'm reading it correctly, a Psion/Anarchic Initiate gets Wild Surge without losing power points to enervation. They would still be dazed for a round.
RAW, yes. It seems that even though they remembered to give Psychic Enervation with Anarchic Initiate, they forgot to have it also key off of those levels, rather than just wilder. Seems like having AI levels count was RAI though.

gomipile
2011-03-23, 01:48 PM
RAW, yes. It seems that even though they remembered to give Psychic Enervation with Anarchic Initiate, they forgot to have it also key off of those levels, rather than just wilder. Seems like having AI levels count was RAI though.

Well, the daze is the worst part of it, given D20's action economy. Granted, the RAW leads to Bestow Power shenanigans, but infinite power points per day doesn't really matter in a 3 encounter per day adventuring model. Where it could matter is in a major battle in a ar, where a Psion/AA could just retreat to gain 6 power points per minute, which still doesn't sound OP, now that I think of it.

Thrawn183
2011-03-23, 01:52 PM
I would argue warmage just because of the ease of building it (who knows how long this campaign is going to last) and because at low levels, you have a lot of spells known in comparison to say a sorceror.

I'm not saying it's the best, I'm just saying I don't like casting the same exact spell again and again and again.

And they're a breeze to make.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-23, 03:36 PM
For cone shaped blasto you can't beat Swarm of crystals. No attack roll, No save, No SR. 1d4 piercing per PP. While it isn't going to win any theoretical damage competitions, it does work, every time, just like magic missle. The area is a little small (15ft cone), buy you can metapsi it to something more usefull. Given the small area you are unlikely to take 2d6+str Bludgeoning damage from a DMG to your head. Maybe not your primary weapon, but you'll love it when dudes are right on top of you.

BenInHB
2011-03-23, 06:05 PM
I've seen first hand in a game i play in a Blaster Wilder completely dominate at levels 1-6 (and we are still at 6)

The PC is one of the less optimized at the table and the player doesn't really know what she is doing most of the time but when something hits her or get her mad its "ENERGY RAY, FULL BLAST!!" and whatever made her angry is dead or dying.

Wild Surge allows her to blast like a character several levels higher. Psi blasting scales faster than Eldridge blast or arcane blasting too.

Wilder also has the versatility to pick the "flavor" of their blast on the fly to deal with resistant or vulnerabilities. Fire deals more damage, Cold targets Fort instead of Reflex Save, Electricity gives a bonus to hit and sometimes DC's, Sonic ignores hardness.

Lets look at Energy Ray a few different levels

Level 1: Damage 2d6+2 Cost 1pp

Level 3: Damage 5d6+5 Cost 3pp

Level 6: Damage 8d6+8 Cost 6pp

These are all RANGED TOUCH attacks!! You have 3/4 BaB and should have a decent Dex too. Hitting should be pretty easy. What can a Warlock or Sorcerer do at this level that is comparable?? How many times a day can they do it??

It's simple and hard to mess up.

As said above, Swarm of Crystals is a great shotgun to keep in your back pocket. No attack roll, No save, just point and say "these people all take damage" as you roll a handful of d4's

Essence_of_War
2011-03-24, 11:41 AM
As said above, Swarm of Crystals is a great shotgun to keep in your back pocket. No attack roll, No save, just point and say "these people all take damage" as you roll a handful of d4's

For some reason I totally forgot that this was a SR:No Save: No power. Consider it to be power #5 for my blaster powers listed above.

gomipile
2011-03-24, 12:05 PM
For some reason I totally forgot that this was a SR:No Save: No power. Consider it to be power #5 for my blaster powers listed above.

The only problem being that it doesn't ignore DR, since the damage is typed as a physical type.

tyckspoon
2011-03-24, 12:09 PM
The best part is that Ardents can easily be Anarchic Initiates too if you really want Wild Surge (along with the same RAW loophole Psions get) - or, you can go with my preferred option, Subverted Psion. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20051125a) Taint lets you force impossible save DCs on your various blasts while simultaneously getting tons more ammunition via all the bonus PP; and since you are Wis-based, your chances of going insane are pretty much nil.

I've never quite understood why people treat Subverted Psion like it's the same power as Tainted Scholar. Sure, you get extra PP, ok.. but it doesn't have the casting-stat substitution that makes Tainted Scholar so ludicrously powerful, and it doesn't have the built in spells->Taint->more spells! feedback loop. Just some neat and potentially pretty useful class features.. but the only thing you get directly from Taint is extra PP.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-24, 12:19 PM
Can I get a Dorje of Swarm of Crystals a folding stock?
Can I get a Dorje of Crystal shard with a pistol grip?

Energy Current + Solicit Psicrystal is a winner for blasters as it keeps on blasting, round after round, with only the initial investment of 16 pp, 11 for energy current and 5 for solicit psycrystal (and a concentration check each round.), and you can have the going for 11 rounds starting at level 11, and it hit 2 guys, and when one target drops you can pick up another target. Once you hand it over to your psicrystal you can begin blasting away with your other powers. Pure Tiger Blood!

Draz74
2011-03-24, 02:18 PM
At low levels, Incarnate can be a very nasty blaster. It doesn't stay that way at later levels, but you can work around that. Keld Denar had a very interesting blaster build he was working on a couple months ago; Incarnate / Ardent / Soul Manifester.

HalfDragonCube
2011-03-24, 02:55 PM
I would argue warmage just because of the ease of building it (who knows how long this campaign is going to last) and because at low levels, you have a lot of spells known in comparison to say a sorceror.

I'm not saying it's the best, I'm just saying I don't like casting the same exact spell again and again and again.

And they're a breeze to make.

Also, if you take all 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant Prc, you get to know all of the cleric spells and a bunch of domains.:smallbiggrin:

You will be able to cast cleric-style better than a cleric!

Not to sure it helps blast much though...:smallredface:

Keld Denar
2011-03-24, 03:00 PM
Keld Denar had a very interesting blaster build he was working on a couple months ago; Incarnate / Ardent / Soul Manifester.

It...worked out ok. Works better in gestalt as a straight Ardent//Incarnate though, and still strapped as hell for feats given that you need quite a few to get all of the shananigans to work together. But yea, you can jack your ML up pretty hillariously with Psycarnum Infusion + Midnight Augmentation and a few other tricks to get a pile of dice much larger than someone else your level could get access to.

gomipile
2011-03-24, 03:57 PM
Also, if you take all 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant Prc, you get to know all of the cleric spells and a bunch of domains.:smallbiggrin:

You will be able to cast cleric-style better than a cleric!

Not to sure it helps blast much though...:smallredface:

Well, Assay Spell Resistance is on the cleric list, so there is that.

Psyren
2011-03-24, 04:41 PM
Well, Assay Spell Resistance is on the cleric list, so there is that.

Also, Greater Consumptive Field... and Miracle...

ooknabah
2011-03-24, 06:43 PM
My personal favorite is a Sorcerer/Archmage. At level 20 you can do things like timestop, delayed blast fireball (wait! They're immune to fire! Make it cold!) shaped around your allies, and hey, hold for a meteor swarm (which gives off cold as well, naturally) for when the time stop ends.

That didn't do the job? Well, next round I can do it again. Or the round after that.

ex cathedra
2011-03-24, 07:17 PM
If you do go Psion/Wilder, I strongly suggest going Kalashtar for Quori Linked Power Shards. Magic of Eberron. Tell your friends.

There's also a cool little blasting class in the basic Dragonlance Campaign Setting, called War Mage. Scaling +damage/die (like, +3 at 5th level?) plus bonus metamagic and Cha-to-AC for you and your friends. Not a bad way to spend 5 levels, in my opinion.