PDA

View Full Version : Bloodline feat for Dread Necromancer

Darth Stabber
2011-03-22, 09:08 AM
So a player playing a dread necromancer has a feat to spend to get either a bloodline feat, or the spells from a domain. She can't get the fey nor plant bloodlines, and the deities she will accept are Olidimara, Baccob, and Farlagn (She's CN).

Goonthegoof
2011-03-22, 09:35 AM
Find a domain with magic circle. Or just grab the time domain.

Infernalbargain
2011-03-22, 02:00 PM
Feat vs. an entire domain's worth the spells. Pick the spells. That's 9 spells, even if only 2-3 of them are decent, you're way ahead.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-22, 05:04 PM
Grab the Evil domain. This nets access to Desecrate, which gives your undead minions a significant boost.

Undeath domain (fitting for a dread necro) also nets Desecrate. It's in the Spell Compendium. It also nets you Death Ward, which I don't think is on the Dread Necro list.

Thurbane
2011-03-22, 05:32 PM
I'd go for Mind Flayer bloodline, or another that gives a bunch of Mind Affecting spells - so you can control living beings, as well as the Undead.

nyarlathotep
2011-03-22, 06:03 PM
Feat vs. an entire domain's worth the spells. Pick the spells. That's 9 spells, even if only 2-3 of them are decent, you're way ahead.

The bloodline feats grant 9 spells as well.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-23, 03:46 PM
So assuming that an additional feat could be taken to enable casters to grab the domain ability as well, would Knowledge Domain be worth it (especially since none of the spells are on the DN list and they would allow the DN to take Loremaster(some people love that PRC too much))?

faceroll
2011-03-23, 04:07 PM

It increases your MAD, cause you need wisdom to cast Arcane Disciple spells. Bloodline feats can be better, if you nab a good bloodline, since they don't increase your MAD. Depends on pointbuy, if you can be a necropolitan, and how easy it is to access stuff like +4 wisdom items.

Grab the Evil domain. This nets access to Desecrate, which gives your undead minions a significant boost.

Undeath domain (fitting for a dread necro) also nets Desecrate. It's in the Spell Compendium. It also nets you Death Ward, which I don't think is on the Dread Necro list.

Know of any Chaotic Neutral deities with those domains? Arcane Disciple you actually worship a deity (it's in the text) that has the domains you pick.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 04:47 PM
It increases your MAD, cause you need wisdom to cast Arcane Disciple spells. Bloodline feats can be better, if you nab a good bloodline, since they don't increase your MAD. Depends on pointbuy, if you can be a necropolitan, and how easy it is to access stuff like +4 wisdom items.

Know of any Chaotic Neutral deities with those domains? Arcane Disciple you actually worship a deity (it's in the text) that has the domains you pick.

Vecna could be reasonably be expected to have Undeath, being a litch.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-23, 05:00 PM
Vecna could be reasonably be expected to have Undeath, being a litch.

Actually vecna WAS a lich. Vecna is an outsider like the other gods.

and vecna is not an option. Baccob, olidamara, and farlagn are the options. Death and undeath, and evil are right out.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 05:53 PM
Actually vecna WAS a lich. Vecna is an outsider like the other gods.

and vecna is not an option. Baccob, olidamara, and farlagn are the options. Death and undeath, and evil are right out.

May I ask why you are restricting yourself like that?

I would also make a bid to point out to the GM that Clerics can be built not to serve a diety, but a cause, so why not an Arcane Disciple?

And why restrict yourself to the dieties found in the PhB?

Coidzor
2011-03-23, 05:56 PM
I would also make a bid to point out to the GM that Clerics can be built not to serve a diety, but a cause, so why not an Arcane Disciple?

And it is a Dread Necromancer, so Undeath does make a fair bit of thematics.

I guess the next question is, does one want to increase one's versatility, or increase one's necromantic abilities/strengthen one's focus with this?

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-23, 06:13 PM
Olidy offers celerity domain. Trickery and mind (mind blank and weird

Boccob can get oracle and mind.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 06:18 PM
Olidy offers celerity domain. Trickery and mind (mind blank and weird

Boccob can get oracle and mind.

Celerity does offer some use, including to Haste for his undead minions, as well as Improved Blink and Time Stop. If he can't get Undeath, then that might work.

Travel domain isn't too shabby either, if he wants to be the party Taxi Cab. Teleport, Fly, DimDoor, Greater Teleport...

Worst case scenario, get a Wand of Desecrate. Either UMD it, or dip a level of Cleric to use it. It's only a 2nd level spell, and caster level is irrelevant.

faceroll
2011-03-23, 06:25 PM
For desecrate:

Desecration, Lesser: The ring of lesser desecration is a silver band that seems plain at first glance, but when a viewer peers closely at it, the viewer can see a faint decorative etching of writhing tentacles or other things that disgust or terrify the viewer (if good) or thrill the viewer (if evil). Three times per day, the wearer can speak a command word to imbue an area with a desecrate spell (duration is 6 hours).

Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, unholy aura; Market Price: 4,395 gp; Weight: --.

Desecration, Greater: The ring of greater desecration is a platinum band that appears simple at first glance, but when a viewer peers closely at it, the viewer can see a faint decorative etching of writhing tentacles or other things that disgust or terrify the viewer (if good) or thrill the viewer (if evil). The wearer is continually at the center of the effect of a desecrate spell.

Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, unholy aura; Market Price: 24,025 gp; Weight: --.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 06:29 PM
For desecrate:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x

Not every GM allows web resources, but yes, that would do nicely if it is allowed.

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-23, 06:41 PM
Ok will the player commit to a god?

If the player may go flarg for travel and luck domains for teleport and miracle

Thurbane
2011-03-23, 08:09 PM
You can get access to domains spells through a Domain Staff (CC) and UMD...will cost a fair bit of coin, but saves a feat slot. You just need to be able to pump UMD to respectable levels - Dread Necro is based off CHA, so that helps.

Darth Stabber
2011-03-23, 08:09 PM
Time to clarify some stuff.
1)I am the gm, I am asking on behalf of a player (somewhat inexperienced in 3.5)
2)the only thing keedping this character from being good is her class (evil means to good ends = neutral) worshipping an evil deity would not suit her.
3)no good deity would grant her a domain. Zombie summoner and all.
4)the setting disallows cleric of a cause.
5)since there are no causal clerics, I am allowing arcane disciples to cast off of their normal cast stat. (Should have mentioned that I am sorry).
6)I am sticking to standard deities, though racial deities exist (ie lolth and blipdoolpoolp).
7)the character is cn (of the somewhat crazy kind).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-23, 08:31 PM
Anarchic Bloodline gives a pretty good spread of enchantments and mind-affecting attacks. Plus being CN it would fit nicely. I'd suggest Celestial Bloodline for Magic Circle and a few others, but it sacrifices [evil] spells such as anything for undead creation or summoning. Aquatic Fey also has some nice choices, but losing Conjuration (Creation) includes Black Tentacles. Illithid Bloodline is probably the only one I'd pick besides Anarchic, and it's a bit of a toss-up then.

Maybe give him Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon, and allow it to give him early access to the next higher level of spells. He'd run out of steam a lot faster casting them, but it would be a lot more options at pretty much every level.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 09:16 PM
Penumbra Bloodline is also really good. Black Tentacles, Greater Shadow Evocation (this nets you: Contingency, Forcecage, Wall of Force, Resilient Sphere...), and Etherealness.

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-23, 10:06 PM
Time to clarify some stuff.
1)I am the gm, I am asking on behalf of a player (somewhat inexperienced in 3.5)
2)the only thing keedping this character from being good is her class (evil means to good ends = neutral) worshipping an evil deity would not suit her.
3)no good deity would grant her a domain. Zombie summoner and all.
4)the setting disallows cleric of a cause.
5)since there are no causal clerics, I am allowing arcane disciples to cast off of their normal cast stat. (Should have mentioned that I am sorry).
6)I am sticking to standard deities, though racial deities exist (ie lolth and blipdoolpoolp).
7)the character is cn (of the somewhat crazy kind).

Never been a fan of cause clerics, so I agree there

If he has a deity, base the choice options off that if he doesn't go with what you doing on limit choices based on alignment or mentality.
Since am an fr man, dunno core deities so well.

Amphetryon
2011-03-23, 10:12 PM
Penumbra Bloodline is also really good. Black Tentacles, Greater Shadow Evocation (this nets you: Contingency, Forcecage, Wall of Force, Resilient Sphere...), and Etherealness.

Shneekey, you have a very good idea there.