PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stacking TU attempts for DMM

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 09:32 AM
I'm building a DMM cleric for an upcoming 10th-level 3.5 game, and I'm looking for effective ways to increase the number of Turn Undead attempts I get. I've got 20 Charisma, the Extra Turning feat twice, a Nightstick (DM ruled they don't stack, so no point in having more than one) and a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC), which totals 22 (3+Cha [8], +8 [Ex. Turning x2], +4 [Nightstick], +2 [holy symbol]) attempts. Now, I read somewhere that taking a level of Sacred Exorcist (which I was planning on doing anyway, but for the Aura of Consecrate) would be good. The theory goes that since it grants Turn Undead like a cleric, you get 3+Cha modifier again to your total pool. I would very much like this to be true, but I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Can anyone provide a ruling with proof?

EDIT: I sincerely apologize for the amount of optimizing slang I threw in this post.

Douglas
2011-03-22, 09:38 AM
In order for the Sacred Exorcist thing to work for this purpose, you must not already have Turn Undead. You should instead have Rebuke Undead or one of the various ACFs clerics can trade out Turn Undead for, such as Destroy Undead from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. An ACF is preferable both for alignment reasons and because you can then dip Death Delver to get Rebuke Undead anyway and end up with three pools of uses to fuel DMM.

Oh, and Extra Turning gives +4 uses to each ability, for +12 total. Per feat spent on it. This may also work with your Nightstick and/or Reliquary Holy Symbol, though that might not be as clear.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 09:42 AM
Sweet. Thanks a bunch.

Malevolence
2011-03-22, 10:11 AM
The easiest way is to use the Extend Spell feat you already have.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I'm doing that. Casting some of my spells the day before, then casting more the next day, all of which are extended. Gives me a nice little repertoire of Persisted goodness. It's making the party Paladin feel bad, though, so I'm trying to tone it down.

Malevolence
2011-03-22, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm doing that. Casting some of my spells the day before, then casting more the next day, all of which are extended. Gives me a nice little repertoire of Persisted goodness. It's making the party Paladin feel bad, though, so I'm trying to tone it down.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10935.0

Don't feel bad, thank Runestar for referencing that.

Douglas
2011-03-22, 11:55 AM
It's making the party Paladin feel bad, though, so I'm trying to tone it down.
That's why you look for buffs that can benefit the whole party, such as Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. +2 (+3 for followers of your religion) luck to attacks, AC, and saves, +3 morale attack (and damage? not sure), and a Haste-like extra attack, all of it for the whole party and all day long? Sign me up! There might even be another benefit or two I've forgotten from Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 11:57 AM
I suppose I could start Persisting stuff on the Paladin, if it came down to that. Most of the good buffs are range: personal, though.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-03-22, 12:01 PM
TU is famous for being opaque. You need to understand when turning pools stack and when they are separate. Since you want more DMM, you want separate pools. I have a max DMM-able pools build in my build compendiu

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 12:03 PM
The sudden break in paragraph there brings to mind images of some poor individual being dragged by some eldritch horror away from their computer mid-post.

Malevolence
2011-03-22, 12:05 PM
That's why you look for buffs that can benefit the whole party, such as Recitation and Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. +2 (+3 for followers of your religion) luck to attacks, AC, and saves, +3 morale attack (and damage? not sure), and a Haste-like extra attack, all of it for the whole party and all day long? Sign me up! There might even be another benefit or two I've forgotten from Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.

Recitation, Righteous Wrath, Mass Conviction. Always nice to not get one shotted by spells.

Douglas
2011-03-22, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Mass Conviction doesn't have the required fixed range for Persistent Spell, unfortunately. Same with Mass Aid.

Mass Lesser Vigor works, though, and your party will love you for never having to heal out of combat again - provided your DM doesn't throw his DMG at you.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 12:17 PM
Actually, mass lesser vigor doesn't work. It's duration is neither fixed nor personal, and thus unusable with Persist.

EDIT: Just read up on it. DM ruled that touch is a fixed range. Totally using this.

Douglas
2011-03-22, 12:28 PM
I think you're thinking of Lesser Vigor, which as I recall is touch range. Mass Lesser Vigor is 30' range and hits everyone in range.

Your DM says touch is fixed? Go check out the Team Solars link in my sig, and see how many of the spells there you can use. I'm afraid I didn't label the class or level for each buff, but everything there is either long duration by default or (with touch being fixed) eligible for Persistent Spell.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 01:26 PM
DMM was errata'd to explicitly only work with Turn/Rebuke Undead. Thus, you'd need TU or something that EXPLICITLY counts as TU. The Exp to Castle Ravenloft ACF counts, IIRC, as does the MoI ACF, and of course, gaining access to both Rebuke and Turn from seperate sources works.

Things like elemental turning from the elemental domains, or things like rebuke ooze or rebuke vermin or whatever won't work for DMM, although I think they will work for some other Divine feats.

Also, Occular Spell (Lords of Madness) makes the range on ANY spell fixed at 60'. Its a +2 adjustment though. Do note that you can only use one [Divine] feat at any given time in any given round, so you couldn't DMM:Occular and DMM:Persist the same spell. CDivine has more details on that in the feats section preface.