PDA

View Full Version : Dopplegangers: They exist. Believe it.

Sipex
2011-03-22, 10:17 AM
For those of you who watch How I Met Your Mother you may know about the whole doppleganger thing. Basically, there's someone out there who looks like you except is different than you in other ways.

I ran into mine last Tuesday on the way home from a movie, he's like me except he wears glasses, no facial hair and has a different idea of style. He's been popping up more recently since then because he apparently lives near me and works near me.

Crazy.

Have you seen your own doppleganger or maybe someone elses?

Serpentine
2011-03-22, 10:23 AM
For those of you who watch How I Met Your Mother you may know about the whole doppleganger thing.I will be crushed if this is the only reason anyone knows what a doppleganger is. Especially on this forum.

Supposedly my sister and I have a mysterious third sister somewhere in this town. She reckons it's because people go "dark hair, glasses... You look like her!", though.

Lyesmith
2011-03-22, 10:57 AM
I've met several doppelgangers of people I know, most of them old freinds beign cloned at uni (though one or two uni people being cloned back at home).

It's a bit freaky, all in all. Also I apparently have one in Canada.

Thufir
2011-03-22, 11:00 AM
I will be crushed if this is the only reason anyone knows what a doppleganger is. Especially on this forum.

Likewise. The doppelganger thing is a frequently observed point in the You thread.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-22, 11:02 AM
Also, Doppelgänger is an old word - older than TSR, in fact, who probably popularized the word. It literally means "double walker" in German when divided into its components.

Eric Tolle
2011-03-22, 11:12 AM
I had an annoying doppelganger back in Santa Barbara. Every so often someone would come up to me and ask me if I was this guy, who evidently was quite a jerk. It was bad enough that some people questioned me repeatedly to make sure I wasn't pretending not to be that guy.

Erloas
2011-03-22, 11:13 AM
Well a couple years ago someone told me I looked just like his son, though younger. He is apparently the warden at the state prison and I've never seen him myself.

ghost_warlock
2011-03-22, 11:14 AM
Back when I was in college there was a guy, an acquaintance, who everyone thought looked like me. I didn't really see it, though, considering I was much taller with straight hair and he had glasses and somewhat curly hair.

I was amused that, when I broke up with a girl, he was the one she went after next. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2011-03-22, 11:18 AM
I live with my hipster doppleganger.

SMEE
2011-03-22, 11:21 AM
I am pretty sure I saw Lioness here in Curitiba yesterday when biking to work.
She was Lioness down to clothes style, glasses and short red hair. :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-22, 12:48 PM
There's a girl in my German class who reminds me a lot of Rabbit.
I also had a dream about doppelgangers (http://dreamlogincolor.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-than-little-twin-peaks.html) last night.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-22, 12:52 PM
A guy at my old college and I looked so much alike at any distance beyond face-to-face that both our exes would confuse us from across the quad...which was always hilarious. To unintentionally exacerbate this fact, we had similar clothing styles, and similar sounding voices.

Leecros
2011-03-22, 12:54 PM
I was told way way back in elementary school that i had a doppelganger. In fact we were supposed to be so similar that i almost got into trouble for something he did(clogging the school's toilets with toilet paper). Fortunately for me i had an alibi and luckily didn't get into trouble...I never did meet him...

Xefas
2011-03-22, 01:04 PM
I've experienced this before. A few years ago, I just randomly walked into one of my local gaming/comic/geekery stores and there was a guy ordering one of those Gundam sets that you paint and assemble yourself. This guy looked exactly like one of my friends, in every way - including hair style, skin tone, facial hair, and clothing (not to mention, this particular friend has a sizable collection of those Gundam sets). The only difference being that this one didn't wear glasses. Without that one crucial difference, I'm fairly certain it would be impossible to tell them apart (we're talking someone I had been in constant contact with for over 7 years at the time). Well, that, and the fact that when I walked up and started conversing with him as if we were best buddies, he kinda freaked out. That was also a bit of a giveaway.

Until that point, I'd never believed in the whole Doppleganger thing. It was always people saying stuff like "Yeah, he looks just like you! Except he's several inches shorter, fat, asian, has a beard, and only wears khaki hot-pants. But other than that - you're completely indistinguishable!" So when it actually happened, I was suitably surprised.

Sipex
2011-03-22, 01:10 PM
When I think doppleganger I mainly think face & body type.

Hair and style are fine to be different to me and preferred. It's interesting seeing a doppleganger and then comparing how you're different (ie: maybe your doppleganger is obviously into bands while you're not, so their style reflects that)

Dr.Epic
2011-03-22, 01:19 PM
I keep hearing something about some Dr. Horrible or something. I'm not sure if they're anything like me.

Maralais
2011-03-22, 01:25 PM
My geometry teacher is me travelled back in time. I KNOW IT.

I mean, same birthday, interest in Freud and philosophy, HAVING MY FATHER'S PROFESSION? It has to be!

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-22, 01:30 PM
I will be crushed if this is the only reason anyone knows what a doppleganger is. Especially on this forum.

Not to mention their have been 2 Naruto threads over in the Entertainment sub-forum... I mean, look at the title of this thread.

valadil
2011-03-22, 01:48 PM
I get told I look exactly like someone a couple times a year. I also get recognized by performers from shows I've been to.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-22, 01:51 PM
My geometry teacher is me travelled back in time. I KNOW IT.

I mean, same birthday, interest in Freud and philosophy, HAVING MY FATHER'S PROFESSION? It has to be!

Chop off one of your fingers and sees if his disappears.

OverThoughtName
2011-03-22, 03:50 PM
A guy at Sonic once asked me if I went to his high school. Thing was, this was half-way across the state from where I've lived, a quarter of the way from where I went to high school. He ended up being convinced that I was lying to him, mainly because, "That's something you'd do, Lloyd." :smallannoyed:

Why is it that the doppelganger is always the troublesome one? Universal irony? I vote universal irony.

H Birchgrove
2011-03-22, 08:18 PM
Chop off one of your fingers and sees if his disappears.

They have stem cell therapy in the future. :smalltongue:

rayne_dragon
2011-03-22, 08:32 PM
I saw someone who looked like the flamboyantly gay version of a male friend of mine who was in Asia at the time. When I spoke to him again we came up with a theory that time travel reverses your sexuality to explain it rather than the usual doppleganger explanation. Since then I've noticed a lot of dopplegangers of him.

Apparently, I personally have both male and female dopplegangers. Go me for being androgenous? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

Giggling Ghast
2011-03-22, 08:47 PM
The question is, have any of these doppelgangers tried to take over your life/eat your brain?

I hate it when that happens.

Apparently, I personally have both male and female dopplegangers. Go me for being androgynous? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

An opposite sex clone! Those are the best kind, particularly if you're into vaguely disturbing make-out sessions.

nolispe
2011-03-22, 08:54 PM
I have a significantly more creepy version of this. Apparently I look exactly like the son of someone my parents knew at uni. We still see him occasionaly. Only problem: This son of his was killed in a car crash before I was born. :smallfrown::smalleek:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-22, 08:54 PM
I had an evil twin sister who was a year younger than me.
She's disturbingly hot now. Like, daaaaaaamn.
Also we're both equally evil now, and no longer twins. We both changed. I cut my hair, and she always has hers straightened now. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-03-22, 09:52 PM
Also, Doppelgänger is an old word - older than TSR, in fact, who probably popularized the word. It literally means "double walker" in German when divided into its components.They also, at least in some stories, are an omen of death.
TSR?

Starscream
2011-03-22, 09:56 PM
Actually, about a month ago I was taking a walk, and a policeman pulled his car alongside me and took a good hard look at me. I asked him if anything was the matter, and he asked my name.

I told him and he said he was looking for someone who resembled me. I showed him my driver's license just to dispel any suspicion, and he went on his way.

About a half hour later, another car pulled up near me, this one with three teenagers inside. One of them rolled down the window to say something, then decided against it and drove away. Maybe he just was going to ask for directions or something, but I get the feeling he thought I was someone he knew until he got a closer look.

So it's entirely possible I have an evil twin somewhere around here. Or, if not evil, at least someone who both cops and teenagers are looking for. Kind of creeped me out, actually.

John Cribati
2011-03-22, 09:58 PM
I apparently look like one of my friends' older brother.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-22, 10:06 PM
I'm just gonna say, guys, if you ever see someone who looks exactly like you entering a Church at 3AM, you'd better make sure all your affairs are in order.

Doppleganger lore. It's freaky!

ScottishDragon
2011-03-22, 10:29 PM
Was best buds with my doppleganger. We looked so alike even I couldnt telk the difference. But we lost contqct since he moved to tha east coast.:smallfrown:

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-23, 05:52 AM
They also, at least in some stories, are an omen of death.
TSR?

TSR is the company that created D&D. That is probably the way the word Doppelgänger was popularized in English-speaking cultures (outside of psychology, at least).

OverdrivePrime
2011-03-23, 06:09 AM
Mine was seen for a couple months working at a Ritz Camera shop in the mall about 17 years ago. Same hair, similar clothes, similar build, but even more gaunt (I was 6'-3", 150 lbs back then) and almost never looked up. I never encountered this guy, but some of my best friends approached him with a "Max, when did you start working here?" ... and then backpedaled quickly when they noticed his sad, empty eyes! :smalleek:

Maralais
2011-04-07, 08:17 AM
And now I find out that my geometry teacher was an old-school AD&D player. WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS.

Though, he said he could play sometime, so it will be interesting to DM a party consisting of 3 or 4 16 year olds and a 24 year old that is identical to me:smallbiggrin:

Leecros
2011-04-07, 11:22 AM
Another Doppleganger siting:

This time it was of my sister's boyfriend. I was driving down the street and i saw him on a motorcycle going the opposite direction. I met up with my sister and her boyfriend just a couple of minutes afterwards(i was on my way to meet them) and he was driven by my sister so there was absolutely no way he could have been on that motorcycle.

Also something i didn't mention in my previous post, my girlfriend, who's over in Scotland right now has a doppleganger. Our meeting was very awkward to say the least...:smallredface:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-04-07, 11:25 AM
Apparantly, both Krade and Uncle Ghost have run into Rabbit dopplegangers lately.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-07, 03:43 PM
TSR is the company that created D&D. That is probably the way the word Doppelgänger was popularized in English-speaking cultures (outside of psychology, at least).

That's really not the case. 'Doppelgänger' dates back to 1796 in German, but the concept was already understood in England.

Kneenibble
2011-04-07, 03:57 PM
I come across people's historical dopplegangers through work sometimes; there's a lot of them. One of the singers at a pub last weekend was a disturbing look-a-like for the subject of a photograph collection I recently overlooked from 1920. I told her as much after the last set as an excuse to strike up conversation; she was smoking hot.

& her best friend (of the 1920 version) is a doppleganger of my friend's wife.

I frequently lust after long-dead people in old photographs. They're just so attractive and unreal.

LOTRfan
2011-04-07, 09:19 PM
I have a friend who has a freshman doppeganger. Its very odd. He looks exactly like my friend did three years ago (except without the raving mentality of a mentally disturbed serial killer...). We call him "Mini-John."

Another friend of mine has two doppelgangers; a freshman one ("Mini-Mark"), and one the same age. The one who was the same age actually cut his hair, because he was sick of everyone confusing him for Mark. Oddly, Mini-Mark and Mini-John are best friends, just like Mark and John. :smallconfused:

Greensleeves
2011-04-08, 06:05 AM
I have a doppelganger. Dead unfortunately. To look on it from the bright side, there's a marble bust of him at the Louvre.

So how do I look? Like this:
http://www.artoflegendindia.com/images/detailed/pebdb002_georges_cuvier.jpg
but in colour, more modern clothes and younger.

rakkoon
2011-04-08, 06:07 AM
I work on the same floor as SMEE Two.
She's nice to me, usually because she wants something :smallsmile:

IsaacTheHungry
2011-04-09, 12:16 PM
there was an odd situation in my old elemtry school when i was little. there were three identical girls. two were identical twins and the third we unrelated but look just like the twins. It is a bit odd for us boys as they were cute.

Sacrieur
2011-04-09, 12:45 PM
Whenever I look into the mirror I see this guy that looks exactly like me staring back. Freaks me out.

Flame of Anor
2011-04-09, 03:12 PM

TSR?

Om nom, delicious irony.

olelia
2011-04-09, 10:12 PM
Used to work as an optician and had a case of identical twin brothers come in a few weeks apart. The guy kept giving me the weirdest of looks when I kept trying to convince him he had already picked up his glasses and he didn't need to order another pair :smallfrown:.

Krade
2011-04-10, 12:45 AM
Apparantly, both Krade and Uncle Ghost have run into Rabbit dopplegangers lately.

I'm not sure most people around here really know who I am though... I mostly just lurk waiting for updates to the meetup threads.

Also, I think I might wait for a while before I take your advice on asking her out. I mean, she just started working with me and that would seem a just a little too forward for my tastes.

Renegade Paladin
2011-04-10, 06:57 AM
I know a doppelganger of RabbitHoleLost. No, seriously, it's uncanny.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-04-12, 01:23 AM
I'm not sure most people around here really know who I am though... I mostly just lurk waiting for updates to the meetup threads.

Also, I think I might wait for a while before I take your advice on asking her out. I mean, she just started working with me and that would seem a just a little too forward for my tastes.

Baaah, if she's really a Rabbit clone doppleganger, she'll probably find it attractive :smalltongue:

SMEE
2011-04-12, 05:07 AM
I work on the same floor as SMEE Two.
She's nice to me, usually because she wants something :smallsmile:

Wait, I have another clone out there? :smalleek:
That makes 4 that I know off. 4 places I need to visit to... get to know... my clones. *wink wink nudge nudge*

Krimm_Blackleaf
2011-04-12, 04:38 PM
According to my friend's parents, France is dotted with my duplicates.

ScottishDragon
2011-04-12, 06:45 PM
I have a doppelganger. Dead unfortunately. To look on it from the bright side, there's a marble bust of him at the Louvre.

So how do I look? Like this:
http://www.artoflegendindia.com/images/detailed/pebdb002_georges_cuvier.jpg
but in colour, more modern clothes and younger.

I've heard that I look like this guy when he is younger
http://sc94.ameslab.gov/TOUR/tjefferson.gif
and this guyhttp://readingharry.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/rupert-grint.jpg
I don't see how they look like each other though. a=b,a=c,but c doesnt =b
:smallbiggrin:

littlebottom
2011-04-12, 09:24 PM
i have only ever once been brought to the attention of a doppleganger of myself... it was a picture over on the myth-weavers site, one of their users looks like a female me. almost identically.

INFACT! i believe that that person has a Giantitp account... it scares me to this day that i dont actually know who it is and they frequent the very forums i do every day. She was very pretty just so you know *get it?*

im trying to say if she looks pretty, and she looks like me, then i look pretty? get it? no? ..... fine :(

if im actually honest, she looked like a better looking female version of me.

oh well. i suppose it doesnt really matter, still it was scary.

absolmorph
2011-04-12, 11:31 PM
One of my friends said she saw me in 10 years at a bus stop a few weeks ago.
A guy was, apparently, passed out and had a bottle of Mountain Dew with him. My theory is that I became a time traveler and went binge drinking due to the resulting self-hatred and ended up at that bus stop at some point on my cross-time binge.
The night before I was informed of this, one of my other friends and I determined that there's a disturbingly high chance that I'm at least part robot.
I don't really know the details, though; she just said it was me in 10 years, but didn't really say if he looked like me or not.

Agamid
2011-04-12, 11:50 PM
i know i have at least 2 in brisbnane - one of whom has blue hair and was at a rollerderby match my mum was at on saturday, but just discovered i have one in canberra too!
talking with friend Gem who works at an op-shop i frequent who informed me that she's said 'hi' to who she thought was me a couple of times only to get a weird look and uncomfortable 'er... hello?' back.

one of my brothers has a doppleganger sooo like him in brisbane that this guy's girlfriend actually came up to him once, mistaking him for her boyfriend.

also my dad in his 20s and one of my brothers in his 20s:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/11541_187163527678_502622678_2732360_1405269_n.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/131837173_42f85297e6_z.jpg?zz=1

Cealocanth
2011-04-13, 04:40 PM
Everyone says I look like Harry Potter, and people thought the actual actor for the movies walked into our Halloween party when I dressed as him, messed up my hair, and drew a little lightning scar on my forehead. That would be my fictional Doppleganger, but I've never encountered my real doppleganger yet. It's be scary to think that there's someone who looks like me walking around.

The_Admiral
2011-04-15, 06:33 PM
I have seen my doppleganger lucky for me he is on the other side of the country in Sabah