PDA

View Full Version : Tiassa out in a week

WalkingTarget
2011-03-22, 10:57 AM
As usual, I see very little fanfare for the next entry in Steven Brust's series of books starring Vlad Taltos, but at least I caught things before it was released this time. Tor's website (http://us.macmillan.com/tiassa) lists its release date as March 29 and the blurb indicates that Khaavren will be involved (as I had hoped, given the title).

When poking around to find that out, I also found a short story (http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/03/the-desecrator) about Telnan.

Woot, as the kids say (the kids still say that, right?).

Seonor
2011-03-22, 02:03 PM
I just finished Iorich which came out as paperback a month ago, and because hardcover+shipping is kinda pricy I will have to wait for Tiassa until it is availibly as paperback.
It will be interesting to see the differences in Vlads and Paarfis description of Khaavren.

When poking around to find that out, I also found a short story (http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/03/the-desecrator) about Telnan.

Do not forget Daymar, he is important (and funny) too.

Spoiler for the short story (and Phoenix I think).
Is anyone else thinking that Sethra wasn't joking about the Empire? Not that she would wan't to destroy the protection against the Jenoine it offers, but that as soon it is no longer needed in that function she would wan't to get rid of it because it keeps the enrtire society in a kind of stasis (At that point the stash of philosophy and political texts that Verra thaught the humans found to early will come into play).
I should probably post that as WMG on tvtropes.org.

Melayl
2011-03-22, 02:26 PM
This is wonderfully pleasant news. I just finished Iorich myself, and I'll have to reserve Tiassa from the library until I can afford to buy it.

WalkingTarget
2011-03-23, 06:33 PM
Do not forget Daymar, he is important (and funny) too.

Well, yes, but I hadn't actually read the story by the time I posted here. It's interesting to see what his job actually is (since what he does for Vlad and how that relates to the scholarly pursuits of the Hawks wasn't exactly obvious - always seemed more of an Athyra thing, honestly). The fine Brust tradition of the artists not being well-versed in the setting continues with the accompanying image, as well (Telnan looks like he could use a shave).

Spoiler for the short story (and Phoenix I think).
Is anyone else thinking that Sethra wasn't joking about the Empire? Not that she would wan't to destroy the protection against the Jenoine it offers, but that as soon it is no longer needed in that function she would wan't to get rid of it because it keeps the enrtire society in a kind of stasis (At that point the stash of philosophy and political texts that Verra thaught the humans found to early will come into play).
I should probably post that as WMG on tvtropes.org.

I'm sure that, of anybody in the empire, Sethra is the one least likely to want to hold onto something beyond the point where it's useful. It's possible, although I wouldn't put this down as something more than just her sense of humor. At the very least, the date from the dedication for the Viscount of Adrilankha means it's unlikely to be a plot point that's resolved in the Vlad books (unless Lady Teldra grants him longevity or he figures out how the Warlock does it).

John Campbell
2011-03-23, 09:40 PM
Heh! I recognize that sword-piece that Telnan's holding in the illustration. I have one with the same blade (but, uh, not broken, 'cause I've never tried fighting a Great Weapon with it), but a different hilt. I could've gotten one just like it the night I got mine, but I liked the one I have better. It's a cheesy wall-hanger, but, eh, it was cheap, I was on a quest, I needed a sword.

WalkingTarget
2011-03-29, 08:38 PM
And now it's mine. :smallbiggrin:

Now I just have to allow myself the time to read it. Maybe as a reward for getting started on my final projects this semester. :smallsigh:

Melayl
2011-03-29, 10:54 PM
I am quite jealous. I have an Interlibrary Loan request out for it, but it could take a while.