PDA

View Full Version : Critique This Class Feature: Feat Sharing (3.5)

wayfare
2011-03-22, 12:58 PM
I am working on a modified version of the expert that can lend his expertise to others. This class has three signature features, one of which may be silly.

Bonus Feats: The Expert gains a bonus feat at 2nd level and every two levels thereafter. The exert may choose any feat to be a bonus feat, excluding fighter bonus feats.

Inspire Competence: Can be used (Intelligence modifier) times per day and grants all allies within 60 feet a +1 competence bonus to all skills the Expert is trained in or +1 to attack rolls. Lasts for 1 round/class level.

The next feature is the one that may be useful or may just be terrible

Instill Expertise: Expend 1 daily use of Inspire Competence to grant 1 ally within 30 feet the use of 1 feat you possess. The ally benefits from this feat for 1 round/class level.

So, Instill expertise worth it, or is it just a waste of space?

Mulletmanalive
2011-03-22, 05:41 PM
I have a class that uses feat sharing in my games; it works fine...you'd be surprised how much benefit Powerful Charge can yield.

I suggest making it a feat as art of the power and then allowing the class to grant it to theselves.

As an aside, Inspire Competence is probably not worth the action after level 4

Mayhem
2011-03-22, 06:07 PM
As an aside, Inspire Competence is probably not worth the action after level 4Still nice when you're trying to jump from a slippery narrow ledge over a large pit of lava though :smallwink:.

Seems like a decent ability for fluff reasons, though I can see its use might be limited.

Dead_Jester
2011-03-22, 08:10 PM
I don't see how this could be seriously imbalanced, although it could get nasty with instant arcane thesis on a caster (unless the expert has to select the spell to which the effect applies in advance, in which case it's perfectly fine). It's a great feature, altough i'd increase the uses per day to 2 or 3 + int mod, unless the class also has a lot of other features.

wayfare
2011-03-23, 02:42 AM
I have a class that uses feat sharing in my games; it works fine...you'd be surprised how much benefit Powerful Charge can yield.

I suggest making it a feat as art of the power and then allowing the class to grant it to theselves.

As an aside, Inspire Competence is probably not worth the action after level 4

The game is an e10 variant, and inspire competence gets boosted to a +2 bonus at level 7 or 8. I thinks its pretty fluffy, but nice when you need it.

Thanks for the input, everybody!