PDA

View Full Version : armour wear? (3.5)

steam_mage
2011-03-22, 01:59 PM
my group and dm have agreed that a home brewed rule that causes armour to get damaged (and gradually lose its effectiveness untill it breaks) with subsequent battles would add a great deal of depth to our game. its a level one campaign at the mo and we have a decent blacksmith (dwarf fighter) and a passable leather worker (half orc barb). i was just wondering if there are any existing homebrews for Armour wear.

thanks in advance.

Shpadoinkle
2011-03-23, 01:55 AM
If by "depth" you mean "hosing melee even further and a lot of time consuming and pointless bookkeeping ," I agree it will add quite a lot of depth.

I've never played the system myself, but if you're looking for a way to realistically model combat, you might look up Riddle of Steel.

HunterOfJello
2011-03-23, 03:32 AM
I've seen critical tables where critical hits could destroy armor or shields. I think rules like that would be more appropriate and serve a similar purpose.

Sacrieur
2011-03-23, 03:35 AM
You're better off not. Different weapons deal different damage to armor, and just because an opponent fails to achieve your AC, it doesn't mean he bounced off of your armor, you could have dodged it (unless your dex bonus is 0).

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-23, 03:39 AM
my group and dm have agreed that a home brewed rule that causes armour to get damaged (and gradually lose its effectiveness untill it breaks) with subsequent battles would add a great deal of depth to our game. its a level one campaign at the mo and we have a decent blacksmith (dwarf fighter) and a passable leather worker (half orc barb). i was just wondering if there are any existing homebrews for Armour wear.

thanks in advance.

That might work in tandem with the DR homebrews for Armor. Essentially, you'll have to work out the armor's wear based on how much damage it's actually reflecting.

JaronK
2011-03-23, 04:06 AM
In general, rules like this really hurt the game.

But if you want, Earthsilk Jerseys already have a rule that if they take a piercing critical hit they're unusable until repaired. So you could just say that critical hits cause you to lose a point of AC from your armor until you repair the damage.

But if you do this, you'd better make armor stronger in return. Perhaps a better idea would be to give all armor a DR value... light armor gets half its AC (round up) as DR/adamantine, medium gets the full value, and heavy gets twice the value (but DR never reduces damage below 1). Then have the DR value degrade with critical hits until repaired.

That way it's not a nerf, and melees could use the help.

JaronK

steam_mage
2011-03-23, 02:13 PM
Perhaps a better idea would be to give all armor a DR value... light armor gets half its AC (round up) as DR/adamantine, medium gets the full value, and heavy gets twice the value (but DR never reduces damage below 1). Then have the DR value degrade with critical hits until repaired.

as we're level 1 this would be very op (most goons only hit for 2-4 damage if they even hit our ac)

If by "depth" you mean "hosing melee even further and a lot of time consuming and pointless bookkeeping ," I agree it will add quite a lot of depth.

we don't really have a non melee character in our party. ( a fighter,pal , barb, cleric and a rouge) and we all like the idea, as the "nerf" affects us all equally its not really a problem...

You're better off not. Different weapons deal different damage to armor, and just because an opponent fails to achieve your AC, it doesn't mean he bounced off of your armor, you could have dodged it (unless your dex bonus is 0).

this has led me too an interesting point. if the attacker failed to beat your ac but beat your touch ac the attack hit you but the armour affectively nullified the blow, perhaps every time the blow hits your touch ac the armour should take some damage based on the weapon they hit you with (blunt weps and two handers would do more than bladed weps and single handers)

p.s. why is it that the view count and replies count are replaced with a -