PDA

View Full Version : Good class for a Pit Fiend

dragonsamurai77
2011-03-22, 02:33 PM
As the title, what would be good to gestalt with the Pit Fiend monster class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7976670&postcount=80)?

Sims
2011-03-22, 02:39 PM
Pretty much anything. Pit Fiends are pretty scary. A monster class is already pretty powerful. I'd focus on spells anyway. A Fighter Pit Fiend would be neat, but I think overall, a Cleric or Wizard is best. Being a Monk would be pointless other than unarmored speed and Wis to AC. Perhaps a good dip.

Teln
2011-03-22, 02:45 PM
UA's Paladin of Tyranny springs to mind.

Sims
2011-03-22, 02:55 PM
UA's Paladin of Tyranny springs to mind.

OH! Thats a good one! Yeah, go with what this guy said. Paladin of Tyranny would make him unstoppable. I wouldn't suggest being a full Paladin of Tyranny though. But its a better dip than the Monk.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 02:58 PM
Yea, take that Cha out for a spin. You are a devil, work it and work it hard!

Battledancer (Dragon Compendium v1) would be pretty sweet. Make a full compliment of UASs followed by your massive claw/claw/bite/wing/wing/whatever combo, and don't even bother with real weapons.

Totemist could be kinda fun. Pick up Rend from Girallon Arms, Pounce from Sphinx Claws, and extra fire damage from Flame Cincture.

Pally of Tyranny/Hexblade/Binder would give you decent Cha synergy and a debuff focus that'll make your SLAs more potent, if you want to focus on that. Not a bad route.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-22, 03:06 PM
I think it could make a great melee bard (+8 cha bonus!) and you get your own minions (summon other devils and/or raise undead) and lay the smack with optimized inspired competence and/or dragonfire.

Any melee class can benefit from the enormous Strength and Constitution bonus.

Or you could make an incredibly effective gish, even by going sorc 20/Pit fiend 20 or a better build using prestige classes... now that I think so a Spellthief 1/Sorcerer 6/Unseen seer 10 / Something 4//Pit fiend 20 would be a scary monster (all those natural weapons + sneak attack+ itteratives=OUCH :smalleek:)

Ravens_cry
2011-03-22, 03:11 PM
I don't own Tome of Battle, do any of the classes run off Charisma mostly? Do that, half HD to initiator level is EVIL, and well, its a Pit Fiend.:smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-22, 03:17 PM
I don't own Tome of Battle, do any of the classes run off Charisma mostly? Do that, half HD to initiator level is EVIL, and well, its a Pit Fiend.:smallbiggrin:

I think crusaders have a cha based smite; and the massive Con bonus help with the general tank-iness of the Crusaders.

Though a Swordsage//Pit Fiend IS a scary thought.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 03:19 PM
Crusaders are only tangentially dependant on Cha, which they get as a bonus to Will saves and is factored in for their whole whopping 2/day smite. No maneuver is based on smite, and only a couple of the feats bring it into play (Clarion Commander is the closest, given that you make Diplomacy and Intimidate checks, which are Cha checks, as part of the feat).

That said, Warblade would lend a lot to a Pitfiend. Xing Mongoose boosts will get you 1-2 extra attacks in a round, Sudden Leap is swift action movement for full attacking, Pouncing Charge is...pounce. Also, Girallon Windmill Fleshrip, on top of being fun to shout out when you use it, couples really well with a large amount of natural attacks.

Oh, and Time Stands Still...because one full attack sometimes just won't get the job done...

Darth Stabber
2011-03-22, 03:26 PM

Sorry int and wis is what those guys use (of the mental stats).

+1 vote Totemist (I am going to nominate myself as the class's official spokesman) Sooooo many buffs that apply to natural weapons, and you have multiple natural weapons(2claw, 2wing, bite, and tail). If you are Gestalting any monster class with more than 1 natural weapon, totemist synergizes gloriously. You can't get totemrager (Balor could), but you still get all kinds of nasty. Buff your con (Totemist save DCs and your own poison's save DCs ar con based).

Fitz10019
2011-03-22, 04:26 PM
Assimilation and Naturalization for the Prime Material Plane
[including when and how to apply for a Greencard]

The book is expensive but you might find a 2nd hand one on Amazon.dnd.

Tychris1
2014-09-25, 11:36 PM
If you want to fully utilize that massive charisma, perhaps consider Dread Necromancer? Have a swarm of undead at your disposal, more spells, and some bonuses for undead goodness. If you don't want to be a lich, just don't go all the way down the class.

CyberThread
2014-09-25, 11:41 PM
mosh pit ...

Snowbluff
2014-09-25, 11:53 PM
I think it could make a great melee bard (+8 cha bonus!) and you get your own minions (summon other devils and/or raise undead) and lay the smack with optimized inspired competence and/or dragonfire.

Aren't PIt Fiends LE and Bards chaotic? :smallfrown:

Jeff the Green
2014-09-26, 01:31 AM

A NE pit fiend has to be more likely than a LG succubus.

But I'd go with a bunch of dips; high Charisma makes this a good option. Marshal 1/Paladin 4/Battle Dancer 1/Blackguard 3 for starters.

Seppo87
2014-09-26, 02:49 AM
Swordsage does not really lose anything compared to Warblade here. You get big HD and full BaB from Pit Fiend. Too bad for Iron Heart maybe, but Shadow Hand is worth it. You still get Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw fully.
Make him a telflammar shadowlord later and you've got, yes, a Shadowpouncer sneaky Pit Fiend. Now that's scary.

Coidzor
2014-09-26, 03:16 AM
Ur-Priest seems like it might thematically fit in and would also allow dual-9ths... A Balor would make for an amusing Binder/Ur-Priest/Tenebrous Apostate though, come to think of it...

And Heartfire Fanner is probably out too, given the whole Devil thing. :smallfrown::smallfrown: Might be a nice adaptation of the PrC though, Hellfire Fanner...:smallamused:

Snowbluff
2014-09-26, 07:18 AM

But I'd go with a bunch of dips; high Charisma makes this a good option. Marshal 1/Paladin 4/Battle Dancer 1/Blackguard 3 for starters.
To be fair, a LG Succubus can still do people. A NE Pit Fiend wouldn't be so keen on subjugating people, and that's just wrong.

Ur-Priest seems like it might thematically fit in and would also allow dual-9ths... A Balor would make for an amusing Binder/Ur-Priest/Tenebrous Apostate though, come to think of it...
Noice.

And Heartfire Fanner is probably out too, given the whole Devil thing. :smallfrown::smallfrown: Might be a nice adaptation of the PrC though, Hellfire Fanner...:smallamused:
Sounds like a good name for a band.

Brookshw
2014-09-26, 07:30 AM
Oh I don't know. Can you have rebellious teen Pit Fiends? CG would be even more likely if so.

Also back to the OP, for power, it not exactly a powerhouse but the Disciple of Asmodeus (http://dndtools.eu/classes/disciple-of-asmodeus/) is aces for fluff.

Starmage21
2014-09-26, 07:35 AM
Dont forget there are special prestige classes for the evil outsiders like the Fiend of Corruption and the Fiend of Possession.

A pit fiend is the top tier of the Baatezu tree. The only upward momentum they have is classes or becoming arch-devils. Pit Fiend should use classes to specialize in what tactics he prefers.

Killer Angel
2014-09-26, 07:38 AM
even if you don't use you massive Cha, a wizard pit fiend is something really scary...

Jeff the Green
2014-09-26, 08:02 AM
even if you don't use you massive Cha, a wizard pit fiend is something really scary...

That's something; you could get your [Fear] on. Wizard 5/Mindbender 1/Dread Witch 5/Nightmare Spinner 5/Something or other 4. You could even use a reach weapon and Fearsome armor to combine a standard action fear spell with a move action intimidate; being Large naturally is quite a boon for that.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-26, 08:23 AM
I'd say Sorcerer, and pick up Improved Unarmed Strike and Ascetic Mage. On top of all your nasty abilities, you're casting ninth-level spells and get Charisma to AC.

Also, that monster class is an interesting approach to the concept. Instead of taking the monster and making a class with one level for each HD and each point of LA, it takes the abilities and reverse-engineers them into a 20-level base class. I like the idea. It looks pretty darn high-powered, but you're playing gestalt anyways.

afroakuma
2014-09-26, 09:01 AM
If you rule that "touch" means "any hit with a natural weapon" then ohohohoho Soul Eater. So don't >_>

Snowbluff
2014-09-26, 11:02 AM
If you rule that "touch" means "any hit with a natural weapon" then ohohohoho Soul Eater.

It's how I rule it, because it's ambiguous, and that's how 3.0 Energy Drain worked throughout.

atemu1234
2014-09-26, 12:14 PM
I back PoT and Battledancer.

Zaq
2014-09-26, 01:03 PM
I'll agree with Binder. The flavor is excellent, after all, and there's already CHA synergy. (I mean, the flavor of a Pit Fiend binding Geryon is worth the cost of entry by itself, no?)