PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Righteous Might + Size Bonuses

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 03:53 PM
Does Righteous Might confer its bonuses to Str, Con, and AC in addition to those found in the Monster Manual on page 291 in the table for size increases?

I ask because the spell reads as follows: (taken from the SRD) "This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +4 size bonus to Strength and a +2 size bonus to Constitution. You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to your natural armor." (Emphasis mine.)

The "and" would suggest that those bonuses are in addition to the usual ones from increased size, but I'm not certain of this.

My guess is no, given that the bonuses are labeled as size bonuses, but you never know. I want to get as much juice out of this spell as possible.

Sacrieur
2011-03-22, 03:56 PM
Nope, size bonuses don't stack.

Douglas
2011-03-22, 04:01 PM
The modifiers listed in the Monster Manual for size changes only come into play if whatever caused the size change does not list its own set of modifiers. Typically, advancing monsters by racial hit dice is the only thing that uses those modifiers. Also, the Half-Minotaur template from Dragon magazine specifically references that page. Everything else I can think of has its own set of modifiers that override and replace the ones from MM 291.

So no, Righteous Might gives what it lists in the spell description and nothing more.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 04:02 PM
Drag. Not that the spell isn't freaking awesome as is, though.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-03-23, 05:58 PM
WotC didn't understand its own rules. RAW, the spell confers no better bonus if you already have size bonuses that are better (since everyone always only player medium-sized PHB races right, right?). RAI infer from the size table, adjusted for the slight weakne

Cog
2011-03-23, 08:01 PM
RAI infer from the size table, adjusted for the slight weakne
RAI is different from the clear, simple description in the spell itself?

Citation, please.

The table in the Monster Manual is used for size increases due to advancing HD. Some other things refer you to it, such as the Half-Minotaur template, but it is by no means the default assumption that you'd use it.

Metahuman1
2011-03-24, 01:20 PM
At every game I've been in where the spell was cast, the Str and Con bonuses were ruled equal to the one's from Enlarge person, on top of the spells other effects, which my DM's seem to feel was fair given that it's a 5th lvl spell and suppose to be a upgrade of a first lvl spell.

Cog
2011-03-24, 01:43 PM
...the Str and Con bonuses were ruled equal to the one's from Enlarge person...
Hunh? Enlarge Person doesn't even have a Con bonus.

Seerow
2011-03-24, 01:45 PM
At every game I've been in where the spell was cast, the Str and Con bonuses were ruled equal to the one's from Enlarge person, on top of the spells other effects, which my DM's seem to feel was fair given that it's a 5th lvl spell and suppose to be a upgrade of a first lvl spell.

It is an upgrade though.

Enlarge person:

+2 str, -2 dex, -1 attack rolls,

Righteous Might:
+4 str, +2 Con, +2 Armor, DR9/Evil

Looks like a pretty clear upgrade to me. Net gain of +2 to hit, +1 to damage, +3 AC, +1 hit point/level, and damage reduction.

And really, are you going to make the argument that clerics need to be even stronger than they are by RAW?

Cog
2011-03-24, 01:53 PM
And really, are you going to make the argument that clerics need to be even stronger than they are by RAW?
I think you're misreading. The ability bonuses were made equal to Enlarge Person's, while the other effects (DR and NA) were untouched.

Schwarzfahrer
2020-07-20, 06:53 AM
Righteous Might:
+4 str, +2 Con, +2 Armor, DR9/Evil

Ok, i need to know if my book is just out of wack because my version of the spell has different numbers:
Move up one size catagory
+8size bonus to STR
+4size bonus to CON
+4enhancement bonus to Natural Armour
And DR is 5/evil or good (opposing your turn/rebuke choice)
The DR becomes 10/evilorgood at lvl12 (not caster level, "level") and further to 15/evilorgood at lvl15

Should i just throw away my book (pdf) and stick to the SRD or is the SRD likely wrong?

Peelee
2020-07-20, 09:03 AM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: The might is not righteous enough to bring this thread back to life.