PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pixie Optimization Help

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 06:21 PM
Hello

I'm currently going to become a PC for the first time ever in my life after years of DMing.

The party is composed of:
A Monk
An Arcane Caster or Two
A not yet defined oriental class
And me.

Backstory Wise: My character is an androgynous pixie which tries to talk as little as possible to avoid revealing its gender. In the process, it is extremely focused in what it does, methodical and straightforward,capable of Intelligent tactic thought and if on need may actually try to communicate during combat but prefers not do so, this however doesn't mean it minds just staying as support.

Mechanical Wise: I have no defined class yet, however I need I will probably have to be either the Skill Monkey or the Divine Caster.
Also, if Rogue, rapier combat oriented would be ideal.
But I really have little clue as to what class to take.

The DM has said we are allowed to use:
PH I and II, Complete: Warrior, Arcane and Divine.

The campaign will be around 17 levels long.

Point-Buy 32 or Rolling for Attributes are both allowed.

Thanks in advance.

gbprime
2011-03-22, 07:02 PM
Two things about a pixie... it has lots of ECL, it has abilities like spell resistance and unlimited usage greater invisibility. I would REALLY clear that with your DM before you commit to it.

As for mechanics, the Pixie has +4 ECL. That means when the other players are 5th level, you're 1st level. If you're starting before 5th level, you can't play one. Again, consult your DM...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-22, 07:03 PM
What level are you starting at?

Pixie is pretty bad for any type of spellcaster, being two full spell levels behind due to the +4 LA. It's also four skill points behind as a skillmonkey, which its ability bonuses will only partially make up for. If not for your severe limitations on books, I would suggest one of the many lower-ECL fey alternatives. (Half-Fey (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), Gloura (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e), Unseelie Fey) You're probably set on making a Pixie, so we'll just have to make the most of it.

If making a divine caster/skillmonkey, a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Kobold domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) would be everyone's first suggestion around here, but again given your book limitations I'd say go with a Shugenja in Complete Divine. Its spellcasting is entirely Cha-based, it gets four skill points/level which with the Pixie Int bonus should give you more than enough, and there's a handy guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4367.0) to familiarize yourself with the various specialized spell lists and how the class works. Otherwise a Half-Fey or Unseelie Fey Kobold Cloistered Cleric would elegantly accomplish both of those roles.

Bard is another good choice for a pseudo-divine-spellcaster and something of a skillmonkey. You could pick up Cure wands and use Inspire Courage and various buffs to make the rest of the party more capable. A Gloura with Bard levels would be a better choice for this, as you would only lose two levels of spellcasting instead of four.

Yet another option would be something like Rogue 4/ Warlock 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10, applying AT spellcasting to Warlock. You'll need the feat Spell Hand from CA to qualify for Arcane Trickster, but overall it gets 10d6 sneak attack in 20 levels with 11th level Eldritch Blast and Invocations at caster level 15 using Practiced Spellcaster. You can invisibly use EB to deal sneak attacks, get plenty of tools to be the skillmonkey, and with UMD you can still use Cure wands. See if you can convince the DM to remove the evil prerequisite of Assassin in exchange for sacrificing the Death Attack class feature, and rename it Spy or Agent or similar.

Blackjackg
2011-03-22, 07:19 PM
It's not among the books you listed, but Savage Species has a racial class for Pixies. It would allow you to start a Pixie before level 5, and if your DM has already okayed the pixie, he might allow the SS progression.

Urpriest
2011-03-22, 07:40 PM
Does Carnivore post on these forums? If so, he'll probably drop by with a Pixie handbook. In the meantime I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: Here it is (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871070/The_Pixie_Handbook?pg=1).

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 07:47 PM
@gbprime: Yes, I've talked it through with him, he is more baffled about me being something with LA than about the pixie abilities. We've reached mutual agreement in relation to my play-style and we've kinda reached a compromise.

@Biffoniacus_Furiou: This is incredibly helpful. I'm considering the last option, and trying to negotiate with my DM for it.

@Blackjackg: He won't allow Savage Progressions, specially not for a pixie according to him.

@Urpriest: I'd seen the guide, and all I can say is that it is rather empty. It isn't that complete, and after the first two posts not that helpful at all.

Thanks to all.

We are starting at level 5 BTW.

sonofzeal
2011-03-22, 07:56 PM
Warlock is a classic option for Pixies. Use fey-themed flavour instead of demons. Eldritch Blast gives you an offensive power that will never do a huge amount of damage, but fit the pixie playstyle well and keep you relatively safe while you plink every round for decent damage. Appropriate Invocation choices can give you some pseudo-roguing too. And your high Dex and Cha synergize well with the class.

Alternatively, Scout. Archery again, trapfinding this time. Damage output likely lower, since you're no longer after Touch AC and Skirmish scales more slowly on the damage front than EB, but you'll get a whole lot more skillpoints and a nice array of non-magical powers.

Really, I'd go with one of those two. Warlock if you want a more magical flavour, Scout if you don't. Both give you out-of-combat utility. And both will help keep you out of melee - and given your pitiful hitpoints, that means keeping you alive.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 08:11 PM
Warlock is a classic option for Pixies. Use fey-themed flavour instead of demons. Eldritch Blast gives you an offensive power that will never do a huge amount of damage, but fit the pixie playstyle well and keep you relatively safe while you plink every round for decent damage. Appropriate Invocation choices can give you some pseudo-roguing too. And your high Dex and Cha synergize well with the class.

Alternatively, Scout. Archery again, trapfinding this time. Damage output likely lower, since you're no longer after Touch AC and Skirmish scales more slowly on the damage front than EB, but you'll get a whole lot more skillpoints and a nice array of non-magical powers.

Really, I'd go with one of those two. Warlock if you want a more magical flavour, Scout if you don't. Both give you out-of-combat utility. And both will help keep you out of melee - and given your pitiful hitpoints, that means keeping you alive.
Actually I was trying to convince the DM for Warlock and being non-evil by giving the fey pact excuse.

I will consider the option of taking Scout, though I'm leaning more toward Warlock for the time.

Yet another option would be something like Rogue 4/ Warlock 1/ Assassin 5/ Arcane Trickster 10, applying AT spellcasting to Warlock. You'll need the feat Spell Hand from CA to qualify for Arcane Trickster, but overall it gets 10d6 sneak attack in 20 levels with 11th level Eldritch Blast and Invocations at caster level 15 using Practiced Spellcaster. You can invisibly use EB to deal sneak attacks, get plenty of tools to be the skillmonkey, and with UMD you can still use Cure wands. See if you can convince the DM to remove the evil prerequisite of Assassin in exchange for sacrificing the Death Attack class feature, and rename it Spy or Agent or similar.
In which attributes should I rely, and which should I dump?
Also, any recommendation for feats?

I've gotten my DM to approve me this build.

Lyndworm
2011-03-22, 09:20 PM
Actually I was trying to convince the DM for Warlock and being non-evil by giving the fey pact excuse.
Warlocks have to be Evil or Chaotic, not both. They can even be Chaotic Good by default. No DM fiat needed.

In which attributes should I rely, and which should I dump?
Dex, first and foremost; it ups your attack and your AC. Int is used for skills and for Assassin casting and the Death Attack DC. Cha is used for Warlock DCs but their usefulness depends largely on Invocation selection, it's also used for UMD checks. Con is useful for your HP, as you will have only d6s, and less of them than the other players. Wis is useful only fro certain skills. I feel confident saying that you can tank Str entirely.

On an unrelated note, I've always wanted to build a Pixie Frenzied Berserker... Invisible Frenzy FTW.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 10:31 PM
Warlocks have to be Evil or Chaotic, not both. They can even be Chaotic Good by default. No DM fiat needed.

Not actually, Warlock Fluff says MOST are evil and/or chaotic, but it's never said it's a requirement.

The stat distribution is incredibly helpful regardless.

Lyndworm
2011-03-22, 10:50 PM
GAME RULE INFORMATION
Warlocks have the following game statistics.
Abilities: A high Charisma score makes a warlock’s invocations harder to resist. High Dexterity is very valuable to a warlock, allowing him to better aim his eldritch blasts, and a good Constitution score is also useful.
Alignment: Any evil or any chaotic.
Hit Die: d6.

Uhhh... Are you sure about that?

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 10:53 PM
Uhhh... Are you sure about that?

I failed to check that part, I only read the alignment fluff and missed it in the mechanics section. Thanks for the correction.

gbprime
2011-03-22, 10:55 PM
Not actually, Warlock Fluff says MOST are evil and/or chaotic, but it's never said it's a requirement.

It sure does. Complete Arcane page 7.

EDIT - d'oh. Ninja'd

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 10:58 PM
I know through experience that Fey pacts are the alternative, but where are they described?

Lyndworm
2011-03-22, 11:20 PM
Page 6, in the Background section.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-22, 11:57 PM
Page 6, in the Background section.

I did read those, I meant, if it is explained with more details elsewhere, like supplements or other sourcebooks, I remember hearing something about a Complete Guide to Faes, so I wanted to know if it is expanded upon by other sourcebooks.

Lyndworm
2011-03-22, 11:59 PM
Not that I've ever seen, no... It's possible I missed something, though. I have a tendency to skim anything overly fluffy.

Runestar
2011-03-23, 12:35 AM
Shame no ToB is allowed. I personally like the idea of a pixie swordsage. Those are some sick bonuses you can squeeze out of features like shadow blade, discipline focus and wis to AC, given the pixie's massive dex and wis stat bonuses. :smallcool:

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 12:43 AM
Shame no ToB is allowed. I personally like the idea of a pixie swordsage. Those are some sick bonuses you can squeeze out of features like shadow blade, discipline focus and wis to AC, given the pixie's massive dex and wis stat bonuses. :smallcool:

Speaking of which, a Monk dip might be worth investigating. The Carmendine Monk (and Kung Fu Genius) feat(s) add Int to AC instead of Wis, and the Ascetic Mage feat adds Cha in place of Wis (plus some other stuff that you probably don't want). Alternately, the Battledancer class from the Dragon Compendium adds Cha to AC as well (without a feat). Just a thought.

Sacrieur
2011-03-23, 12:58 AM
The Reformed character theme in PH2 for warlock I'm pretty sure would allow you to play lawful good.

only1doug
2011-03-23, 05:07 AM
The Reformed character theme in PH2 for warlock I'm pretty sure would allow you to play lawful good.

And there is a good aligned warlock Prestige class (complete mage?) but don't take too many levels of it with a pixie.

only1doug
2011-03-23, 05:35 AM
My group should be hitting L5 tomorrow night, the Pixie in it will finally become a rogue (I houseruled a level progression as I didn't like the savage species version).

Pixies As Characters

A pixie character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level.

Pixie characters possess the following racial traits.

* -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
* Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A pixie’s base land speed is 20 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
* Low-light vision.
* Skills: Pixies have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
* Racial Feats: A pixie receives Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
* +1 natural armor bonus.
* Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
* Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility, spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.
* Level adjustment +4

for Pixie Warlock build:

Point buy Calulation (http://www.roletohit.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=92) (rolling is likely to result in lower average scores)

Str: 10
Dex: 18
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 14

results in:
Str: 6
Dex: 26
Int: 16
Wis: 12
Cha: 20

1 feat: force of personality? (i may have remembered the name wrong) add cha to will saves instead of wis.

permanent improved invis: check
Flight: check
DR10 cold iron: check
awful damage: check...

you may not be a major contributor to the groups combat ability but it should be fun to play.

Incidently DR10 cold Iron, as a GM i'm finding it kind of irritating, I don't want to penalise the pixie player by issuing lots of cold iron weaponry but lots of creatures just cannot hope to hurt the pixie (and those that can risk killing it outright)...

sonofzeal
2011-03-23, 07:28 AM
Since you have +6 Int and +0 Con, and since it's thematically appropriate, and since you'll be desperate for hp, and since you're not an Int-SAD character... Faeries Mysteries Initiate?

Good luck getting your DM to approve it though.

Re'ozul
2011-03-23, 08:06 AM
I'd like to add to only1doug's version:

You actually don't need all that much Dexterity as a Pixie Warlock.

Eldritch Blast has a range of 60' (more with spear) and is touch based.
Greater invisibility denies the enemy its dex modifier, so you usually are up against 10+size+untyped which usually isn't much.

For a Pixie I'd rather go pumping charisma since there are some nice flavour options in save-or-suck invocations later on.

Force of Personality is very much a given, as is Flyby attack.

There was a mention of the enlightened spirit PrC some posts ago, but that PrC is not worth anything oustide of Gestalt, especially for a character who already can fly.

Nice Invocations for a Pixie:

Least:
Call of the beast. (Wild empathy and speak with animals, flavour ahoy)

Lesser:
Charm ('nuff said)
Enthralling Voice (DFA) (People who hear you become one step friendlier towards you)
Humanoid Shape (DFA) (change shape into any small or medium humanoid, since your character is tricky about his/her gender)

Greater:
Devil's whispers (suggestion as the spell, and at the end of the duration/dismissal or when the task is done the target makes another save at a -5 penalty, if it fails it thinks its actions were of its own volition)

Especially Devil's whispers fits the Pixie theme to a T.

The two marked DFA are only Dragonfire Adept invocations so you'll have to ask your DM, but they fit the theme very well and aren't particularly powerful (though versatile and interesting) so hopefully they'll be allowed.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 03:41 PM
If you're trying to pull a V and remain androgynous, then Entropic Warding can never hurt. Immune to tracking, scent, and a 20% miss chance on ranged attacks.

Also, for hilarity, Eldritch Glaive.

A Tiny pixie... with a 10' blade of coherent energy slicing out from it...

sonofzeal
2011-03-23, 05:29 PM
Also, for hilarity, Eldritch Glaive.

A Tiny pixie... with a 10' blade of coherent energy slicing out from it...
An ECL 16 Pixie with a Greater Titan Bloodline can, RAW, use a Gargantuan Warhammer. With no penalty.

Just to be clear, this is a hammer the size of a Stone Giant, and twice as heavy.

With no penalty.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 05:35 PM
An ECL 16 Pixie with a Greater Titan Bloodline can, RAW, use a Gargantuan Warhammer. With no penalty.

Just to be clear, this is a hammer the size of a Stone Giant, and twice as heavy.

With no penalty.

I'm pretty sure the same trick applies to the LA +0 (not LA -) Tiny sized Jermlaines and Muckdwellers. They're less than two feet tall and wielding a hammer over fifteen feet tall still doesn't grant them reach.

cfalcon
2011-03-23, 06:30 PM
The game I'm about to start will have a pixie PC in it. He's going Sorc with his. The LA+4 is significant, but honestly, pixies are essentially immortal at low levels, so your low health barely matters- and at high levels, well, you still have a hell of a lot of Cha.

Scout and Rogue have a lot more going for them than they normally would. Rogue in particular gains you quite a lot: most rogues are not naturally invisible at all times (suppress or resume with a free action), and as such you should be able to bring sneak attack to bear at almost all times.

Sorc still isn't bad, and here's why: assume you are character level, oh, 14. As a LA0 sorc (say, human), you would have 7th level spells. Lets pretend your Cha started at 18, and you boosted it when you could- now it's 21. You have a +5 base to your DCs, so your top spells have a save DC of 23, plus whatever other kind of sauce you put on them.

Your pixie sorc would only be Sor 10, and have 5th level spells. But you have a +6 to your Cha- it's at 26, adding 8. 15+8=23. So even though you are 4 levels behind, your saving throws are perfectly adequate.

You also get the powerful amnesia arrows and sleep arrows, and I can't believe no one has mentioned how powerful permanent image is as a once a day ability.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 06:32 PM
Ok, thanks a lot for the feedback, it's been incredibly helpful.

So, as for Feats:
I get:

Weapon Finnese
Dodge

I need:

Spell Hand

And have been recommended:
Practiced Spellcaster
Ascetic Mage
Force of Personality
Faeries Mysteries Initiate (If I manage to bribe my DM)
Flyby Attack
Entropic Warding
Eldritch Glaive

As I've been led to believe, Practiced Spellcaster is in my best interest as it raises my caster level. And as it looks, flyby attack is a need if I don't want to be utterly destroyed before even managing to do damage.

How many feats do I get at ECL 5?
And also, how does LA work in that regard, do I have normal feat and attribute gain (at every multiple by 3 and 4 ECL)?

Urpriest
2011-03-23, 06:41 PM
And also, how does LA work in that regard, do I have normal feat and attribute gain (at every multiple by 3 and 4 ECL)?

Feats are gained from Hit Dice. So at ECL 5 you have one feat, besides bonus feats from being a pixie.

As for Practiced Spellcaster, if you're going Warlock I wouldn't bother. Caster level does very little for a warlock, especially one focused on blasting.

cfalcon
2011-03-23, 06:44 PM
Does practiced spell caster work? I guess it's up to character level, so it could.

Urpriest
2011-03-23, 06:54 PM
Does practiced spell caster work? I guess it's up to character level, so it could.

Character Level =/= Effective Character Level. The former is always equal to your hit dice. The latter adds Level Adjustment.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 06:54 PM
Feats are gained from Hit Dice. So at ECL 5 you have one feat, besides bonus feats from being a pixie.

As for Practiced Spellcaster, if you're going Warlock I wouldn't bother. Caster level does very little for a warlock, especially one focused on blasting.

So that leaves me with both Ascetic Mage and Force of personality that do the same thing (I'll rather take ascetic mage if only because of flavour), and eldritch glaive which doesn't sound that tempting, but I don't really have a power gauge to measure it against to. And well Entropic Warding, but I don't really know if it is that useful, though the related fluffing is rather tempting.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-23, 07:05 PM
Eldritch Glaive is in Dragon Magic, not on your list of books.

Weapon Finesse isn't necessary, you shouldn't need to make any melee attacks.

Practiced Spellcaster is good for helping you overcome spell resistance, but otherwise your caster level is irrelevant. Don't take it until maybe 6th level or later.

Starting out at ECL 5 with a +4 LA, you'll have one class level. That +4 LA doesn't count for anything except XP to your next level, XP per encounter, and wealth by level. You use your total class levels to determine max skill ranks, ability score increase and feat acquisition, and any level-dependent effects such as Practiced Spellcaster. I'd take your first level in Rogue, so you get the better skill points. Use a light crossbow until you gain another level, at which you can take Warlock. Keep in mind you'll be invisible so there's little chance your character will even be attacked, but Flyby Attack is still extremely useful. It may be a slight struggle starting out, but you'll be glad to have those extra skill points for taking Rogue first throughout your adventuring career.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 07:05 PM

Urpriest is correct. The same holds true for your Ability score advancement. You are essentially a 1st level character that needs 6,000XP to hit 2nd level, 13,000XP to hit 3rd, so on and so forth.

Weapon Finesse and Dodge are Racial bonus feats for pixies, which (I assume) is why they were listed separately. Nice Swordsage, by the way.

Urpriest
2011-03-23, 07:08 PM
So that leaves me with both Ascetic Mage and Force of personality that do the same thing (I'll rather take ascetic mage if only because of flavour), and eldritch glaive which doesn't sound that tempting, but I don't really have a power gauge to measure it against to. And well Entropic Warding, but I don't really know if it is that useful, though the related fluffing is rather tempting.

Entropic Warding and Eldritch Glaive are Warlock Invocations, not feats. And Ascetic Mage and Force of Personality don't really do the same thing, they just let you apply Charisma instead of Wisdom to two different things (AC and Will saves respectively).

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 07:21 PM
Eldritch Glaive is in Dragon Magic, not on your list of books.

Practiced Spellcaster is good for helping you overcome spell resistance, but otherwise your caster level is irrelevant. Don't take it until maybe 6th level or later.

Starting out at ECL 5 with a +4 LA, you'll have one class level. That +4 LA doesn't count for anything except XP to your next level, XP per encounter, and wealth by level. You use your total class levels to determine max skill ranks, ability score increase and feat acquisition, and any level-dependent effects such as Practiced Spellcaster. I'd take your first level in Rogue, so you get the better skill points. Use a light crossbow until you gain another level, at which you can take Warlock. Keep in mind you'll be invisible so there's little chance your character will even be attacked, but Flyby Attack is still extremely useful. It may be a slight struggle starting out, but you'll be glad to have those extra skill points for taking Rogue first throughout your adventuring career.

Entropic Warding and Eldritch Glaive are Warlock Invocations, not feats. And Ascetic Mage and Force of Personality don't really do the same thing, they just let you apply Charisma instead of Wisdom to two different things (AC and Will saves respectively).

So I go Rogue 1/Warlock 1/Rogue 3/Assassin 5/Arcane Trickster 7
And I take my feats as
Spell Hand at 5/Flyby attack at 7/Ascetic Mage at 10/Practiced Spellcaster at 13

And I run crossbow until I can start blasting things.

Is this somewhat logical?

Urpriest
2011-03-23, 07:49 PM
So I go Rogue 1/Warlock 1/Rogue 3/Assassin 5/Arcane Trickster 7
And I take my feats as
Spell Hand at 5/Flyby attack at 7/Ascetic Mage at 10/Practiced Spellcaster at 13

And I run crossbow until I can start blasting things.

Is this somewhat logical?

Ascetic Mage requires Improved Unarmed Strike.

What are you getting from Rogue 4? I'd prefer getting another level of warlock instead, especially if you plan to advance warlock with Arcane Trickster.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 07:55 PM

What are you getting from Rogue 4? I'd prefer getting another level of warlock instead, especially if you plan to advance warlock with Arcane Trickster.

Rogue: Base attack bonus, a ref. save and Uncanny Dodge.
against
Warlock: Base attack bonus, a will save, Detect Magic and an Invocation

I've got greater at-will invisibility, so I believe the Uncanny Dodge isn't really doing anything for me.

So I take Rogue 1/Warlock 2/Rogue 2

Thanks for the recommendation.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-23, 08:12 PM

Skill points mostly, since Uncanny Dodge probably won't even matter too much. A more even split would mean avoiding favored class drawbacks, plus he'd get one more invocation early on.

Ascetic Mage is in Complete Adventurer, and it also requires the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells. Just to be clear, it replaces a Wisdom bonus to AC with a Cha bonus to AC, which is of no benefit if you don't get your Wis bonus to AC already. You could get a Monk's Belt to get both Improved Unarmed Strike (via the Monk class feature granted by the belt) and to get your Wis bonus to AC (again via the Monk class feature), but you wouldn't be able to take Ascetic Mage until your 9th level feat, once you have 2nd level Assassin spells. Don't include your level adjustment when determining what level you get feats or listing what level you take a certain feat, ECL 5 isn't the same as 5th level when you have a level adjustment.

I'd probably pick invocations from See the Unseen, Baleful Utterance, Beguiling Influence, and Summon Swarm. Eldritch Spear is good but you can't sneak attack at that range. Eldritch Chain should be your first lesser invocation, assuming you can sneak attack every target you hit. I think there was a clarification somewhere about volley attacks only permitting precision-based damage once, but I'm not sure if that applies to attacks on multiple different creatures, and your group probably doesn't even have the book it's printed in.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 08:21 PM
Skill points mostly, since Uncanny Dodge probably won't even matter too much. A more even split would mean avoiding favored class drawbacks, plus he'd get one more invocation early on.

Ascetic Mage is in Complete Adventurer, and it also requires the ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells. Just to be clear, it replaces a Wisdom bonus to AC with a Cha bonus to AC, which is of no benefit if you don't get your Wis bonus to AC already. You could get a Monk's Belt to get both Improved Unarmed Strike (via the Monk class feature granted by the belt) and to get your Wis bonus to AC (again via the Monk class feature), but you wouldn't be able to take Ascetic Mage until your 9th level feat, once you have 2nd level Assassin spells. Don't include your level adjustment when determining what level you get feats or listing what level you take a certain feat, ECL 5 isn't the same as 5th level when you have a level adjustment.

I'd probably pick invocations from See the Unseen, Baleful Utterance, Beguiling Influence, and Summon Swarm. Eldritch Spear is good but you can't sneak attack at that range. Eldritch Chain should be your first lesser invocation, assuming you can sneak attack every target you hit. I think there was a clarification somewhere about volley attacks only permitting precision-based damage once, but I'm not sure if that applies to attacks on multiple different creatures, and your group probably doesn't even have the book it's printed in.
Do I really need those skill points?
And also, at that point, would Ascetic Mage really be worth it, or should I take another feat instead?

From my knowledge, AC stops being important the higher level you are, so I don't know if such investment would end up being worth it.

But again, I'm inexperienced at PC optimization.

sonofzeal
2011-03-23, 08:38 PM
Do I really need those skill points?
And also, at that point, would Ascetic Mage really be worth it, or should I take another feat instead?

From my knowledge, AC stops being important the higher level you are, so I don't know if such investment would end up being worth it.

But again, I'm inexperienced at PC optimization.
The importance of AC at higher levels ceases to be "preventing enemies from hitting you". It becomes "preventing enemies for Power Attacking for >9000 and still hitting you".

Generally speaking, a new source of AC is usually worth it. Cha-to-AC especially for you, unless you plan on wearing armor. If you are, I wouldn't worry about it, it's unlikely to justify itself sufficiently over a +X Chain Shirt.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-03-23, 08:41 PM
No, between invisibility and Flyby Attack (making sure you end each round behind total cover) your AC will be fairly irrelevant. I was just pointing out a way to make Ascetic Mage work since you seemed interested in it.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 08:44 PM
No, between invisibility and Flyby Attack (making sure you end each round behind total cover) your AC will be fairly irrelevant. I was just pointing out a way to make Ascetic Mage work since you seemed interested in it.

Ok, so, that leaves force of personality, and later on practiced spellcaster

Are there other recommended feats?

Edit: Forgot Entropic Warding wasn't a feat.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-23, 09:09 PM
Ok, so, that leaves force of personality and Entropic Warding.
One gives me a myriad of bonuses and flavour, the other one gives me Cha to Will Saves.

Or are there other recommended feats?

Dark One's Own Luck = Cha bonus to one save. Really handy to shore up a weak save, like Fort.

Entropic Warding also blocks scent, which is one of the few ways to track your character. The 20% miss chance vs ranged attacks still applies, even if opponent has See Invisibility or even True Sight.

Dark Utterance = Shatter at will. A thousand and one things can be done with this if one is clever.

These are all Least invocations, for you to choose from.

As far as feats, you can't go wrong with Craven. bonus on sneak attack equal to HD.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 10:31 PM
Dark Utterance = Shatter at will. A thousand and one things can be done with this if one is clever.

It's called Baleful Utterance, isn't it? Either way, it's my favorite invocation, bar none. You can shatter almost anything, including armor, weapons, and material component pouches.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 10:42 PM
It's called Baleful Utterance, isn't it? Either way, it's my favorite invocation, bar none. You can shatter almost anything, including armor, weapons, and material component pouches.

Is it really that broken?
And another question, hopefully the last.
Which items aside from curing wands should I take?

sonofzeal
2011-03-23, 10:49 PM
Is it really that broken?
And another question, hopefully the last.
Which items aside from curing wands should I take?
It isn't quite that broken. You can't target anything over a certain size, so no Shattering your way through doors and walls. And targeting a creature's possessions allows the creature to make a Will Save to resist.

It's sneaky, and useful, and can be used creatively to good effect, but it isn't broken. It isn't even especially powerful, just flexible and cool.

AsteriskAmp
2011-03-23, 10:51 PM
It isn't quite that broken. You can't target anything over a certain size, so no Shattering your way through doors and walls. And targeting a creature's possessions allows the creature to make a Will Save to resist.

It's sneaky, and useful, and can be used creatively to good effect, but it isn't broken. It isn't even especially powerful, just flexible and cool.

Can't you just ask the guy in Melee to disarm and you shatter?

sonofzeal
2011-03-23, 10:54 PM
Can't you just ask the guy in Melee to disarm and you shatter?
Disarm only works on weapons, and weapons are usually a valuable source of loot that you don't want to shatter. And at that point, he may as well be Sundering.

But hey, if you're ever stuck for something to do, Shatter at-will means you can afford to waste a few on passed saves if it means royally messing up an enemy when it works. And nothing tops cussing so hard it breaks things.

only1doug
2011-03-24, 04:34 AM
Previously suggested stats

Dex: 18
Cha: 14

results in:
Dex: 26
Cha: 20

Reworking these to favour Cha over dex

Dex: 14
Cha: 18

results in
Dex: 22
Cha: 24

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-03-25, 02:36 AM
You don't need to focus on Charisma unless you are using a lot of save-dependent Invocations, as it has no other mechanical use, unless you are using Dark One's Own Luck.

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-08, 02:31 PM
Question:
How does its spell-likes work?

Spell-Like Abilities
1/day—lesser confusion (DC 14), dancing lights, detect chaos, detect good, detect evil, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 15), dispel magic, entangle (DC 14), permanent image (DC 19; visual and auditory elements only). Caster level 8th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

One pixie in ten can use irresistible dance (caster level 8th) once per day.

Special Arrows (Ex)
Pixies sometimes employ arrows that deal no damage but can erase memory or put a creature to sleep.

Memory Loss
An opponent struck by this arrow must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or lose all memory. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. The subject retains skills, languages, and class abilities but forgets everything else until he or she receives a heal spell or memory restoration with limited wish, wish, or miracle.
Can I use each one per day, or one of those per day?
How do the arrows even work?

Lyndworm
2011-04-08, 04:24 PM
Can I use each one per day, or one of those per day?
You can use them each once per day.

How do the arrows even work?
I don't understand the question. That quote spells out pretty clearly how they work, so I assume that you're asking something else... I'm not sure what, though.

AsteriskAmp
2011-04-08, 08:25 PM
You can use them each once per day.

I don't understand the question. That quote spells out pretty clearly how they work, so I assume that you're asking something else... I'm not sure what, though.

How many arrows per day can I use?, do I convert normal arrows into pixie arrows?, do I magically make them appear out of thin air?

Lyndworm
2011-04-08, 10:11 PM
How many arrows per day can I use?
As many as you have.

do I convert normal arrows into pixie arrows?
No you do not.

do I magically make them appear out of thin air?
No you do not.

The entry for special arrow is intended for monsters, not PCs. I don't believe that there are any rules whatsoever for obtaining them as a PC. That's something that you'd have to discuss with your DM.

Re'ozul
2011-04-09, 09:08 AM
There are rules for the arrows in savage species along with the Pixie Progression. I think it allows you to craft those arrows and only those arrows (memory-blank and sleep) without the necessary craft feat, but that could be me forgetting things.

The savage species one is more versatile getting actual skillpoints and HD and making the dance available if you have 20 charisma. But its one level longer so it'd cost you 5 levels.

The actual text:
Craft Special Arrows: Upon reaching 4th level, a pixie
can craft pixie sleep arrows and pixie memory loss arrows as
though meeting all of the prerequisites.

I guess the crafting feat would be a prerequisite normally, maybe.

Arrows themselves:

Memory loss: Fort DC 12+chamod or retain skills, languages, class abilities but forget everything else. (regain with wish, limited wish, miracle or simply heal-spell) Market price: 607gp each

Sleep: Fort DC 12+chamod or fall asleep as with sleep-spell. No HD cap.
Market price: 107 gp each

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-09, 04:17 PM
Let us consult the SRD:

Pixies As Characters

A pixie character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level.

Pixie characters possess the following racial traits.

* -4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6 Charisma.
* Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
* A pixie’s base land speed is 20 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60 feet (good).
* Low-light vision.
* Skills: Pixies have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
* Racial Feats: A pixie receives Dodge and Weapon Finesse as bonus feats.
* +1 natural armor bonus.
* Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
* Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/cold iron, greater invisibility, spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.
* Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
* Favored Class: Sorcerer.
* Level adjustment +4 (+6 if the pixie can use irresistible dance).

Bolded relevant part.

The arrows are a special attack that PC pixies do not get, just the SLA's.

herrhauptmann
2011-04-09, 06:17 PM
As a later feat, Spectral Skirmisher (PHB2, requires BAB6) might become useful for you. But only if you can make a decent melee (sneak) attack. Otherwise, it would be useless.
You've got Eldritch Glaive right? And since you're invisible, you'd get any and all sneak attack damage. Which should stack with EG.

DGIF2015
2019-04-15, 12:12 PM
What level are you starting at?

Pixie is pretty bad for any type of spellcaster, being two full spell levels behind due to the +4 LA. It's also four skill points behind as a skillmonkey, which its ability bonuses will only partially make up for. If not for your severe limitations on books, I would suggest one of the many lower-ECL fey alternatives. (Half-Fey (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a), Gloura (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e), Unseelie Fey) You're probably set on making a Pixie, so we'll just have to make the most of it.

If making a divine caster/skillmonkey, a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with the Kobold domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) would be everyone's first suggestion around here, but again given your book limitations I'd say go with a Shugenja in Complete Divine. Its spellcasting is entirely Cha-based, it gets four skill points/level which with the Pixie Int bonus should give you more than enough, and there's a handy guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4367.0) to familiarize yourself with the various specialized spell lists and how the class works. Otherwise a Half-Fey or Unseelie Fey Kobold Cloistered Cleric would elegantly accomplish both of those roles.

Bard is another good choice for a pseudo-divine-spellcaster and something of a skillmonkey. You could pick up Cure wands and use Inspire Courage and various buffs to make the rest of the party more capable. A Gloura with Bard levels would be a better choice for this, as you would only lose two levels of spellcasting instead of four.

The link for Gloura is broken and I can't find out information about it

MisterKaws
2019-04-15, 01:39 PM
The link for Gloura is broken and I can't find out information about it

Stop the thread necromancy. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e)