PDA

View Full Version : Gaining the [elf] subtype or elven blood

Alleran
2011-03-22, 07:03 PM
Normally, I'd just use a Savage Species ritual to get myself the typing that I need for what I'm fiddling with. Unfortunately, the rituals described in that particular book explicitly prohibit their use in order to gain things like the elf typing or, as far as I can tell, the elven blood feature.

Is there a feat, ritual or similar that would give me access to the elf type or, at least and preferably, the "elven blood" feature? Without actually having to be an elf?

hivedragon
2011-03-22, 07:06 PM
Normally, I'd just use a Savage Species ritual to get myself the typing that I need for what I'm fiddling with. Unfortunately, the rituals described in that particular book explicitly prohibit their use in order to gain things like the elf typing or, as far as I can tell, the elven blood feature.

Is there a feat, ritual or similar that would give me access to the elf type or, at least and preferably, the "elven blood" feature? Without actually having to be an elf?

mongrel folk and a changeling with the Racial Emulation feat

Alleran
2011-03-22, 07:09 PM
mongrel folk and a changeling with the Racial Emulation feat
Mongrel Folk?

Also, if possible I'd like to do it without changing my current race (silverbrow human for dragonblooded and the human bonus feat, since the Flaw system isn't being used for this game).

Tavar
2011-03-22, 07:11 PM
Races of the Wild has the...R-something class. I think it makes you an honorary elf later on in the class, and it's only something like 3 levels.

Jarian
2011-03-22, 07:12 PM
Races of the Wild has the...R-something class. I think it makes you an honorary elf later on in the class, and it's only something like 3 levels.

Ruathar PrC.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 07:13 PM
Ruathar. I don't remember if it allows you to qualify for elven things though, like Elven Archer or Eternal Blade or whatever.

EDIT: Double checked my copy of RotW, Ruathar does NOT qualify you as an elf for anything. You get a couple of features including low light vision, +1 to hit under starlight, and an extended age catagory, and a neat magic item, but you don't count as an elf.

Ninjarian!

Alleran
2011-03-22, 07:18 PM
I just checked, and no, it doesn't seem that it does. You get some of the benefits that picking elf as a race would (low light vision, weapon proficiencies, and an increased lifespan), but you don't actually gain elven blood and don't count as an elf for the purposes of qualifying for feats, PrCs and so on.

Tavar
2011-03-22, 07:20 PM
Oh, must be thinking of the dwarf one then.

Why do you want to qualify as an elf, anyway?

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 07:24 PM
Yea, Stoneblessed allows you to qualify as a Dwarf, Gnome, or Goliath WRT feats and PrCs.

What you are looking for is an Elven version...I don't think one exists.

Alleran
2011-03-22, 07:29 PM
Oh, must be thinking of the dwarf one then.

Why do you want to qualify as an elf, anyway?
For access to classes, setting/scene/RP, and potential use of artifacts later in a campaign that a friend is putting together, and he's given us all a heads-up on this part of it. Going to require elven blood and/or the elf typing, though, and I haven't yet found a way to get it.

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 07:36 PM
Just...be an elf? If you look hard enough, you can find an elf to fit ANY concept.

Just like with Apple products, There's An Elf For That.TM

Tavar
2011-03-22, 07:40 PM
Not one that would give a free feat at first level. Of course, most of the options to become another race cost at least a feat, so there really isn't any savings there.

There's also the fact that he's a silverbrow Human. They have some special abilities, don't they?

Alleran
2011-03-22, 07:43 PM
There's also the fact that he's a silverbrow Human. They have some special abilities, don't they?
Dragonblooded, among others. I like their backstory, too - the result of silver dragons mating with humans somewhere in the family tree.

Plus I generally don't like playing as an actual elf (or generally half-elf, for that matter). I don't mind playing something that just has elven blood, though, so I'm going for the best possible solution.

Tavar
2011-03-22, 07:46 PM
So...you want role play situations as if you were an elf, but without having to role play and elf. Ever heard of having your cake and eating it too?

Seems like there's nothing out there, though. Except to play and elf. Isn't there an Elven version of the Dragontouched races?

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 07:48 PM
There is a Dragonblooded varient of like, every race. Elves have Forestlord Elves, distantly related to green dragons, halflings have Glimmerskin Halflings, distantly related to gold dragons, etc...

Alleran
2011-03-22, 07:50 PM
So...you want role play situations as if you were an elf, but without having to role play and elf. Ever heard of having your cake and eating it too?
Elf-friend, I don't mind (if the Ruathar suggestion had given elven blood in some form, then that would have been more than enough, I think). Elven blood I don't mind either. Actually being an elf (very long-lived, etc.), I do tend to mind. They're not my favourite race, except for when polymorphing into an avariel to get an easy fly speed.

Also, I do like cake.

Isn't there an Elven version of the Dragontouched races?
Forestlord elf. Elves made deals with green dragons in exchange for survival, and give up some of their racial qualities in exchange for tree stride 1/day (off the top of my head).

Keld Denar
2011-03-22, 07:54 PM
So play an elf hell bent on not surviving to old age. Drink, smoke, brawl, chase loose women, ride a motorcycle dragon...

Or just adventure. Chances are, either you'll transcend to diety status or die before your next birthday...

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-22, 08:04 PM
Or play an elf accidentally raised by orcs. Elven barbarian with spiked chain and weapon finesse, anyone?

Blinkbear
2011-10-03, 04:54 AM
Or play an elf accidentally raised by orcs. Elven barbarian with spiked chain and weapon finesse, anyone?

And power attack. Don't forget power attack!