PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Githyanki

Amridell
2011-03-22, 07:43 PM
I recently acquired a copy of the Expanded Psionics handbook, and realized that, in comparison to their cousins (githzerai), the githyanki were vastly underpowered. Hence, I thought that they needed some more power. I have looked at other LA +2 things, and found that the Githyanki were underpowered there, too! For those of you who do not Dm and have no idea what I am talking about, here's a picture of them.

http://i53.tinypic.com/b5r2j5.jpg
To get everyone up to speed on what the githyanki/githzerai can and cannot do:
Githyanki
+2 dex,+2 con,-2 wis
Medium size
30 ft movement rate
Darkvision 60 ft
Spell like abilities (well, psionics, technicly):
1st lvl:mage hand, daze(3/day)
3rd lvl:as 1st, plus blur (3/day)
6th lvl:as 3rd, plus dimension door (3/day)
9th lvl:as 6th, plus telekinesis (3/day), plane shift (1/day)
SR 5+class levels
LA +2
Githzerai
+6 dex,+2 wis,-2 int
Medium size
30 ft movement rate
Darkvision 60 ft
Spell like abilities (psionics):
1st lvl:daze, feather fall, shatter (3/day)
11th lvl:plane shift (1/day)
SR 5+class levels
LA +2
Why are these in spoiler tags? Non DMs might not wish to look at these, at the behest of their DM.

RebelRogue
2011-03-22, 08:14 PM
Do you want to redesign the racial features/ability bonuses as a house rule, or are looking for ways to pimp a given encounter (or series of encounters) with githyanki?

In the latter case, adding red dragons as high-powered steeds is always stylish, IMO.

Amridell
2011-03-22, 08:16 PM
Do you want to redesign the racial features/ability bonuses as a house rule, or are looking for ways to pimp a given encounter (or series of encounters) with githyanki?

In the latter case, adding red dragons as high-powered steeds is always stylish, IMO.

Racial traits and such. I'm trying to balance them with the githzerai as a PC race.

nyarlathotep
2011-03-23, 03:35 AM
I would actually consider both underpowered for LA +2, but to be on about the same playing field. While the githyanki have lower stats their spell-like abilities more than make up for it. Just make both of the LA +1. Also if it comes up just make hobgoblins LA +0.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-23, 03:48 AM
IWhile the githyanki have lower stats their spell-like abilities more than make up for it.

my thoughts exactly, particularly Dimension Door. And I suppose Blur too. Considering githzerai are basically made to be monks, their uber dexterity bonus pretty much just equals +2 AC and maybe +2 to hit if they Finesse.

classy one
2011-03-23, 07:09 AM
Thought blur got changed to concealing amorpha?

Githyanki have some of the best fluff in the game. Just take a look at planswalker.com and compare the articles on githyanki and githzeri. I mean you have a race of astral pirites who live on dead gods, tame red dragons, and treat other races like the cattle that they are. What's not to love?

How to beef them up without violating canon:
1) have the red dragon pact in effect. Gith sacrificed herself to allow the githyanki to summon red dragons whenever they are on the Prime. It doesn't need any arcane or psionic power to do this. They just do a ritual and BAM! red dragon there for you to ride and shoot people with.

2) Silver swords. This thing can really mess up a psionic PCs day as it disrupts their manifesting and has the potential to trap them in the astral plane (basically killing them). This is another trademark weapon (the githyanki in your picture has one) for the race and no PC should complain when they see a squad of Githyanki with this weapon. Not many ways to optimize your silver cord.

3) Astral combat in 3D. Githyanki are natives of the Astral which makes them move much easier in the astral plane where thought propels you rather than your legs. In the astral plane all combat is 3D, as in it uses the the y axis as well. Most newcomers need to make certein checks to move around but a githyanki just does it, allowing them to hit you from all sides, including above and below.

4) lower the LA at levels 3 and 6.

LA is only bad in a purely metagaming perpective where you need to balance a party or calulate CRs.

A githyanki fighter 2 will straight stomp a human fighter 2. Hell, a human would need to have around 2 levels just to match a level 0 githyanki. If the above mentioned changes/additions are in effect, I'd say they are well worth their LA.