PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a first time ODAD player at a con

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-22, 09:13 PM
I'm going to my first convention over Easter and I'd like to attend this game (http://www.eye-con.info/index.php?module=games&game_id=18).

Any advice for a first timer? I cut my teeth on 4E but I do have AD&D books.

lothos
2011-03-23, 05:32 AM
Hi,
Wow, you are going all the way to Wisconsin, cool. Long trip from Tasmania.

I see it says "A Dungeons and Dragons 1st Edition game". So if I understand the page you linked to, it's actually going to be a game using the very first version of D&D that Gygax originally published, before "Boxed Set Basic" and before "1st edition AD&D".

So, if the game is not the original version, but instead is "1st Edition AD&D", I can offer quite a lot of advice, I played and then did a lot of DMing of 1st edition AD&D. If you are playing that game and want to go for a powerful character rather than just role playing, the best choice depends on starting level. If it's L1, then good choices are Ranger (2d8 hp at 1st level) or cleric.

Also, if it is 1st edition AD&D, see this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192007) I just made in another thread.

If it's truly the very first edition, I never played that. However I understand it's quite similar to "Boxed Set Basic D&D" which I did play a little bit.

The most important thing to understand is that you don't have a race and a class. The two are kind of tied together. If you are a human, you can be a Cleric, Fighter, Magic User (same as Wizard in 3.5 ed) or thief (similar to rouge in 3.5 ed). Oh, incidentally. Magic user has a d4 hit dice. Thief AND cleric have d6 hit dice. A fighter gets a d8 hit dice.

If you are an elf, you are basically a magic user with a few less spells, better hit points and slightly better melee.... but you are limited to what level you can go up to.

If you are a dwarf or a halfling, you are basically a fighter but with a couple of extra abilities and a level limit too.

In "Boxed Set D&D" there were only 3 alignments - Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic. No mention of good or evil. I do not know for sure, but I think it was the same the original edition before that.

If it turns out it's 1st ed AD&D you are playing, rather than the truly original 1st edition of D&D, I can post more advice if that would be helpful. I have pretty much all the rulebooks at home.

Cheers.

hamlet
2011-03-23, 07:18 AM
Well, if it's truly original D&D (aka White Box or Woodgrain Box) then you can really get a feel for the rules by downloading Swords and Wizardry, and picking up a copy of the White Box expansion to that. That is, essentially, exactly what you would be playing, just cleaned up a little and better organized. Those of us who own and read the little brown books, even who have for years, can find them confusing and just plain old badly edited.

It's definatly a fun game, though "modern" gamers would find it . . . troublesome. Or perhaps "quaint." Take it for what it is, though, and you'll enjoy yourself.

As for advice in playing? It's the same advice I'd give if you were about to play AD&D 1e: the game is FAR less about challenging your character and much more about challenging you. It's not about realizing a character concept so much as your character is the portal through which you interact with the game world. Yes, he can have character, but this ain't amature theater. Drama is at a minimum. Blood spatter is quite high.

Enjoy yourself!

Matthew
2011-03-27, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I think Hamlet has probably hit the most important point, in that characters themselves are less likely to be the solution to the problems posed to the players in OD&D. Also, bear in mind that many combats you will not be expected to win, but rather expected to have the sense to avoid.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-27, 07:47 PM
How likely is it that we'll roll characters at the table?

hamlet
2011-03-28, 07:54 AM
How likely is it that we'll roll characters at the table?

*shrug*

Depends on how things are set up. But if you do roll characters at table, it'll probably only take 5-10 minutes. So look on the bright side!

Fhaolan
2011-03-28, 11:36 AM
As a convention game, it's very likely the characters will be pre-gen. It's always possible that you'll build your own characters, but it's just one of those things that's usually done before hand by the DM.

Matthew
2011-03-28, 09:08 PM
As a convention game, it's very likely the characters will be pre-gen. It's always possible that you'll build your own characters, but it's just one of those things that's usually done before hand by the DM.

That seems likely to me; there may be a compromise allowing players to choose from various equipment and spell packages, which is something I have recently observed, but more than likely it will be a choice of pregenerated characters.

JediSoth
2011-03-29, 02:26 PM
Don't be afraid to try various stunts/maneuvers that aren't listed on your character sheet. Older editions ran much more on DM fiat than the newest editions. If you think something would be cool to try, then describe it to the DM and go for it. After all, it's a con game; you've nothing to lose!

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-29, 06:44 PM
I have to think rather specific, right?

And form what I gather from the entry, we're playing a game at a con about playing a game at a con. Mindscrew.