PDA

View Full Version : What are good Abjuration spells?

Jallorn
2011-03-22, 09:56 PM
I'm playing an Abjurant Champion, and I need some good defensive abjurations besides Shield. I've got 19th level Duskblade casting and 16th level Wizard casting (Epic, yes I'm aware that's not the best build, my caster level as a Wizard is much higher thanks to Abjurant Champion). I am aware that the Cleric has some useful spells and that there are feats for such, but if someone would like to give me specifics, I wouldn't mind, since it means I won't have to go digging through my books for them. :smallwink:

NNescio
2011-03-22, 10:46 PM
I'm playing an Abjurant Champion, and I need some good defensive abjurations besides Shield. I've got 19th level Duskblade casting and 16th level Wizard casting (Epic, yes I'm aware that's not the best build, my caster level as a Wizard is much higher thanks to Abjurant Champion). I am aware that the Cleric has some useful spells and that there are feats for such, but if someone would like to give me specifics, I wouldn't mind, since it means I won't have to go digging through my books for them. :smallwink:

Mind Blank?

What kind of splatbooks do you have access to? BoED has the Luminous Armor series, while the SpC has Ironguard, Wall of (Alignment) spells, Dispelling Screen, upgraded versions of Resistance, the Karmic Aura series, the Anticipate Teleportation series, Energy Immunity, and probably some other good spells that I've missed.

The SpC also has Ray Deflection... which can be nasty when combined with contingencies. And if you can somehow persist it...

Going back to Core, Dispelling and Dismissal/Banishment are also good standbys as part of a more 'aggressive' defence.

Some people also like Stoneskin, 'though the material cost can become prohibitive over time.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-22, 11:20 PM
IIRC, the heart of X series is also abjuration, and it is fantastic. Awesome enough that I essentially always learn them on my wizards.

Bakkan
2011-03-22, 11:34 PM
Unfortunately, the Heart of X series are Transmutation

Tyndmyr
2011-03-22, 11:36 PM
Ah, curses.

There is also the classic shield spell, and I believe there's other quasi-shields in SpC, etc.

Fairly good for abjuration types...especially abjurant champion.

ffone
2011-03-23, 01:49 AM
Ah, curses.

That's necromancy.

:smallbiggrin:

Goonthegoof
2011-03-23, 02:15 AM
It's 9th level, but maw of chaos is pretty much the best nuke ever.

Treblain
2011-03-23, 01:37 PM
The trick about Abjurant Champion is that there really aren't many spells that synergize with the AC bonus. Luminous Armor (basically Mage Armor as an abjuration) is the one people point to, so that's one, but in all the hundreds of spells out there, there are maybe four or five abjuration spells that increase your AC.

It's either poorly written, or WotC is mocking you with a difficult-to-use class feature. Don't worry about it. It's still a good class anyway.

Cartigan
2011-03-23, 02:48 PM
It's either poorly written,

This. Whoever wrote it didn't know Mage Armor was conjuration and not abjuration.

Elric VIII
2011-03-23, 03:07 PM
This. Whoever wrote it didn't know Mage Armor was conjuration and not abjuration.

This comes up in the Abj Champ threads I see, somethimes. It is possible to try to research Mage Armor as an Abjuration spell using the Build-a-Spell mechanics.

begooler
2011-03-24, 12:25 AM
Picking up abjuration spells off of other spell lists would be the way to get more mileage out of that feature. With your particular build, I don't think that work out for you, but I could see a Mystic Theurge or something of that nature making good use of it.
You could look at domains that can be added through feats and prestige classes and see if there are good abjuration armor spells there.

gomipile
2011-03-24, 05:20 AM

All of the magic circle against X spells are excellent, as are the protection from X spells.

Oh, and Explosive Runes.

John Campbell
2011-03-24, 05:46 AM
I'm fond of anticipate teleportation. As an Abjurant Champion, you only have to cast it every other day, and it's hilarious when the DM forgets that you always have it up and has his BBEG try to Abrupt Jaunt out of trouble.

only1doug
2011-03-24, 09:01 AM
Unfortunately, the Heart of X series are Transmutation

True, and essential anyway.

Heart of Earth > Stoneskin
duration of 1hr / level use a swift action to gain stoneskin for 1rnd / level (no material component cost)

My L18 abj champ gish would cast extended heart of earth every morning (34 hour duration). (and extended heart of fire, water, air).

Core Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/sorcererWizardSpells.htm):

L2 (quickened)
Resist energy 30 points of resistance for a swift action, whats not to like?

L3 (quickened)
Dispel magic: handy
protection from energy: could be worthwhile.

L4 (no longer quickened)
The core spells are fairly Meh, expecially as you no longer auto quicken them.
Dimensional anchor: can be situationally useful.
Remove curse: prepare when needed.

L5+ nothing truly outstanding in my opinion

Metahuman1
2011-03-24, 05:49 PM
Take 2 lvl's of Argent Savant form Complete Arcane.

Cast Greater Luminous Armor form book of Exalted Deeds and Repelling shield form Complete Mage. Enjoy your +11 Shield bones and +15 Armor bones to AC that stack with one another for +26 to AC, and are treated like extended spells. From there, shouldn't be hard to find a couple of other spells that add Nat Armor and Deflection bonuses.

Edit: Oh, and if you can find a way to make yourself out right Immune to Force Damage, you can load up explosive Runes spells on yourself, which won't hurt you when they get set off. Your enemy, unlikely they'll get off as easy. Draw back is it has to be set up in advanced, but wizards are all about preparation.

Jallorn
2011-03-24, 06:30 PM
Argent Savant is not in Complete Arcane.

And I'm using Extra Spell to learn Shield of Faith for Deflection.

My plan is to persist Luminous Armor, Shield, and Shield of Faith.

I would still like a spell that gives me some Natural Armor, but for now I'm using an Amulet.

Siosilvar
2011-03-24, 06:42 PM
Argent Savant is not in Complete Arcane.

I disagree. Pages 24-26.

Jallorn
2011-03-24, 06:45 PM
I disagree. Pages 24-26.

Whoops, missed that. :smallredface: