PDA

View Full Version : Virus Problems: Please Help!

Raistlin1040
2011-03-22, 10:36 PM
Bleck. So, it seems like my computer has come down with another virus, and my least favorite kind, the one where the virus pretends to be an anti-virus software. I've had these kinds of viruses before and been able to stamp them out easily enough as they've only affected my internet usage. This one is obviously different. Firstly, it changed my desktop background to a blue screen with a large warning about Spyware and that I need to secure myself right now or my nonexistent wife and children will find out about my private information and my life will be ruined.

More concerningly, I cannot seem to launch any problem. When the virus first hit and changed my background, Zune and MSN Messenger immediately shut down. Like I said, my internet appears unaffected except for some slowness and the disabling of my StumbleUpon toolbar. Unfortunately, it seems to have severely crippled my ability to kill it. My taskbar, which once contained icons for Microsoft Security Essentials, among other things, has had a lot of icons removed. Trying to start MSE manually leads to a box cropping up on my taskbar that says something along the lines of "Warning! Application cannot be executed. The file [whatever].exe is infected." If clicked, it brings up a program showing my alleged 40some viruses and leads me to a page offering an anti-virus known as "System Tool" for upwards of seventy dollars. Periodically, a warning pops up that says "Windows has detected spyware" and then something about installing/activating an antivirus.

I can't use MSE, I can't use a free trial of Norton I downloaded, I can't Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager (as the file for the task manager is apparently infected) to see if I can disable the program there, and running my computer's Action Center and shutting down or restarting the computer is of no help. I'm researching into the problem on the internet but I was wondering if anyone here, particularly someone more technically inclined than myself, could help.

My computer is running Windows 7. Any further questions about my specifications should include instructions for how to find that information out because I probably will not know. Thank you.

Edan
2011-03-22, 10:58 PM
I caught that one a couple weeks ago and I'll tell you what I did to fix it. I am on XP and never used 7 so things may be a bit different.

Nothing I did in regular mode worked to fix it, it would just stop every virus tool I used.

The way I fixed it was to boot in safe mode (I think you just hit f8 while booting). I used Malware Bytes while in safe mode and it killed it. If you don't have it on your computer, just make sure to boot in safr mode with connectivity.

This link may help.
http://www.helpmyos.com/t2311-how-to-remove-system-tool-2011

Also you may need to hit ctrl-alt-delete right when you boot up and make sure you kill some of the rogue files. IIRC they are just random strings of numbers and there is something like ten of them.

Good luck, that one is really annoying.

Raistlin1040
2011-03-22, 11:51 PM
I had already found something like that, but thank you for confirming it. After a little over two hours of work, my computer appears to be, for all intents and purposes, fixed.

Serpentine
2011-03-22, 11:58 PM
These things seem to come around in cycles... I had a scare from one just yesterday, but I think I stamped on it quickly enough.

Blisstake
2011-03-23, 12:58 AM
I get this a lot because I don't have any anti-virus protection, and I visit... let's say unsavory sites. However, something that has always worked is System Refresh/Restart. There's an option for it somewhere under control panel, and all you have to do is chose a date where the virus wasn't present.

Many times it will prevent you from doing this, so you have to start the computer in safe-mode first (I forget exactly how to do this. For my computer it's hitting F12 before starting up).

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-23, 01:17 AM
i got that awhile back....

then i went all medeval on the virus and (metaphorically) nuked it to hell

Deathslayer7
2011-03-23, 01:21 AM
now that it is clean, get Avast!

It's a free anti-virus program.

Serpentine
2011-03-23, 01:24 AM
now that it is clean, get Avast!

It's a free anti-virus program.Not contradicting your premise - I like it - but it just doesn't seem to pick up this thing. Malwarebytes (also free) does seem to do so.

Deathslayer7
2011-03-23, 01:27 AM
I never said it did. :smallsmile: But Avast and Malware Bytes can probably get rid of 95% of all your virus problems.

factotum
2011-03-23, 02:30 AM
Using NoScript with Firefox will probably prevent 95% of things like this ever getting on your machine in the first place, though... :smallsmile:

Phishfood
2011-03-23, 05:07 AM
Using NoScript with Firefox will probably prevent 95% of things like this ever getting on your machine in the first place, though... :smallsmile:

I'm a bit mixed on noscript. Sure, it makes things safer but it can be a pain in the ass re-enabling scripts for every site.

Anyhoo, out of interest did it change your wallpaper to a blue background with the text

DANGER! YOUR'RE[sic] COMPUTER IS INFECTED

for the sake of your boss, pet dog, intestinal parasite....blah blah.?

Asheram
2011-03-23, 05:15 AM
1. Pull out all non-essential harddrives. (all except the one with the OS)
2. get a boot cd and run a few format c:
3. if you've got another OS disk laying around, try to install that if the virus is OS specific.
4. install an antivirus and update.
5. Pray to god that your antivirus will catch it in time as you plug in the other harddrives.
6. Be Goddamned careful with what you download so this doesn't happen again. :smallbiggrin:

I feel your pain, bro. This might be a bit over the top, but I prefer not to take chances with the computer I use for money transfers.

CynicalAvocado
2011-03-23, 12:50 PM
I'm a bit mixed on noscript. Sure, it makes things safer but it can be a pain in the ass re-enabling scripts for every site.

Anyhoo, out of interest did it change your wallpaper to a blue background with the text

DANGER! YOUR'RE[sic] COMPUTER IS INFECTED

for the sake of your boss, pet dog, intestinal parasite....blah blah.?

mine did that

ThePhantasm
2011-03-24, 06:32 AM
I don't have any anti-virus protection, and I visit... let's say unsavory sites.

. . . why? This is 1 bad idea + another bad idea. That's got to be a pain for you to have to restore your computer so frequently. And chances are that, w/out virus protection, you have a score of viruses that you aren't even aware of.

MoelVermillion
2011-03-24, 10:35 AM
. . . why? This is 1 bad idea + another bad idea. That's got to be a pain for you to have to restore your computer so frequently. And chances are that, w/out virus protection, you have a score of viruses that you aren't even aware of.

^ And with a bunch of free AV programs available on the internet there really is no excuse for not grabbing one.