PDA

View Full Version : Animate Anydead

Gaius Marius
2011-03-23, 08:09 AM
If any of you read regulary Full Frontal Nerdity, you might remember a time when the players proposed giving Profession : Cook to their cleric, and combine it with Knowledge : Religion.

The DM then realised why they wanted to sneak into the King's kitchen.

Now, is it just me that find the whole thing bloody hilarious, yet incredibly funny? Animate dead on a large scale of small animals. If you find ways of improving the power of your zombies, I wonder how strong this would be..

Can you animate flying animals and have them keep flying? If so, combining Cloud of Dead + flight of birds + Animate Dead = win?

How bad would it be to cast that kind of Animate Dead in the middle of the Meat Market? :smallbiggrin:

Re'ozul
2011-03-23, 08:20 AM
Stuff like that is somewhat the point of Destructive Retribution (Libris mortis).
Suicide bombing zombies.

As to strenghtening them, corpsecrafter and a deadwalker's ring help.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 02:26 PM
Can you animate flying animals and have them keep flying? If so, combining Cloud of Dead + flight of birds + Animate Dead = win?
If you animate them as zombies, yes; their maneuverability drops to Clumsy, though. Skeletons lose all fly speeds.

How bad would it be to cast that kind of Animate Dead in the middle of the Meat Market?

Pretty bad, but probably not as bad as you think. Animate dead only raises creatures that are more-or-less intact and have a skeletal system, so sides of beef and legs of lamb and such wouldn't be affected. Any whole animal would be, however, so chickens, fish, and even roast pigs would be valid targets.

nyarlathotep
2011-03-23, 02:46 PM
If you animate them as zombies, yes; their maneuverability drops to Clumsy, though. Skeletons lose all fly speeds.

All nonmagical methods of fight. If the king eats pixies they're fair game for flying skeletons.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 04:10 PM
Nonmagical methods means the fly spell, or a Beholders levitation. Not a pixie. They fly by having wings, not through any overtly magical means.

Coidzor
2011-03-23, 04:59 PM
Nonmagical methods means the fly spell, or a Beholders levitation. Not a pixie. They fly by having wings, not through any overtly magical means.

I'd say they're a bit borderline what with their obviously magical nature and aerodynamics.

I've heard people go both ways on creatures like pixies and humanoid+wings stuck on back outsiders. So, probably best to seek confirmation with a DM to figure out what their stance on such things is.

nyarlathotep
2011-03-23, 05:11 PM

In the monster manual outsiders such as demons are specifically noted as having magical flight. I figured pixies would be similar.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 05:12 PM
I'd say they're a bit borderline what with their obviously magical nature and aerodynamics.

I've heard people go both ways on creatures like pixies and humanoid+wings stuck on back outsiders. So, probably best to seek confirmation with a DM to figure out what their stance on such things is.

This is exactly why I said "overtly" magical, rather than just magical. The game of D&D is not friendly to physics. :smalltongue:

Thurbane
2011-03-23, 08:22 PM
How bad would it be to cast that kind of Animate Dead in the middle of the Meat Market? :smallbiggrin:
There was a movie back in the 80s - Dead Heat (?) - that featured an animated dead machine. Someone used it on a side of beef, that started charging the heroes. :smalltongue: