PDA

View Full Version : Controversial plot hook?

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 12:38 PM
This is my idea. All the characters suffered some tragedy in their lives. So they started adventuring to forget and hoping something would kill them or they'd die with honor at least.

But nothing ever does. Almost oddly so. So they each plan to kill themselves. One drinks poison, one sticks a sword up through his chest, one uses volatile magic for an explosion, etc.

But then they all wake up the next day, in the same inn, in a place none of them have been before, unscathed. They each have a small card with "REDEMPTION" on the front, and all the players' character names on the back.

What do you think?

Elvenoutrider
2011-03-23, 01:01 PM
I feel like most players would not enjoy playing a character who had a reason to commit suicide. Instead, I would start it with them losing a battle against the BBEG, their last memories of him dragging them to hell or some similarly unpleasant end, then they wake up in the inn.

Worira
2011-03-23, 01:04 PM
I think you have the problem of the characters having no incentive to actually fight well, rather than attack until someone falls down.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-03-23, 01:05 PM
Depends on the players, are you going to tell them that their characters have to be suicidal?

It sounds like your pigeon holing their character development a bit.

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 01:26 PM
Depends on the players, are you going to tell them that their characters have to be suicidal?

It sounds like your pigeon holing their character development a bit.

Hmm perhaps a tragic past they shouldn't have survived and some kind of redemption, players choice.

Reluctance
2011-03-23, 01:33 PM
Unless you set it in Ysgard or someplace similar, you have the question of what happens if some roleplayer decides to take a second go at it. If you do have a setting like that, you have the classic RPG conundrum of what happens when death truly stops mattering.

Otherwise, I've tried something similar. It's not so much of a plot hook, though, as it is a campaign kicker. You'll want to gloss over the "something horrible happened, you sought the sweet embrace of death to escape it, you wound up here" angle and limit it to backstory, and you'll need to think of actually interesting hooks (as in, those big neon signs that say "plot is happening over here!"), but it's not a bad alternative to the "you all meet in a tavern" scenario.

valadil
2011-03-23, 01:36 PM
I feel like most players would not enjoy playing a character who had a reason to commit suicide. Instead, I would start it with them losing a battle against the BBEG, their last memories of him dragging them to hell or some similarly unpleasant end, then they wake up in the inn.

I dunno. I think I could work with it. I'd definitely want the first post to be the pitch explaining the game, rather than the first session. I'd hate to show up with a happy, fulfilled character for this game and be told I have to make him suicidal.

I'm not sure where you go from there though. I mean, it's a cool intro, but at the end of the day you're left with a mysterious and powerful patron, which isn't really anything new in my book. Where does it go after this premise?

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 01:39 PM
I dunno. I think I could work with it. I'd definitely want the first post to be the pitch explaining the game, rather than the first session. I'd hate to show up with a happy, fulfilled character for this game and be told I have to make him suicidal.

I'm not sure where you go from there though. I mean, it's a cool intro, but at the end of the day you're left with a mysterious and powerful patron, which isn't really anything new in my book. Where does it go after this premise?

Multiple intermediaries that eventually lead to a god of redemption.

erikun
2011-03-23, 01:51 PM
Well, I can see a few problems with your idea.

First, just because adventurers want to die and don't find something willing to kill them doesn't automatically mean they'll start taking their own lives. Some may just become more reckless, such as selling all valuables and armor for a bigger sword. Some may just figure this is a test for themselves, and decide to keep going until the ultimately drop dead. Some may be against suicide. Some may decide to devote their life to something else, such as tying ribbons into orphans' hair.

Second, just because everyone decides to commit suicide doesn't mean everyone decides to commit suicide together, or in the same session. Suicide cults are pretty rare for a reason, I would thing. If you try playing this and one person ends up on the fence, some of the early-departures may spend more than one session sitting around doing nothing (and wonder why they're still there).

Third, someone who committed suicide is likely to commit suicide again. If you've convinced the players that suicide is the answer to the plot train, then it is entirely possible that they'll give it a second try with the same mindset.

Of course, all those are rendered moot if it's all DM backstory. If you just start the campaign with a tale of everyone having committed suicide for their own reasons (which is supported by their backstories) and wake up together, they are less likely to immediately kill themselves again and more likely to try figuring out what is happening. Maybe. It would probably depend a bit on the group in question.

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 01:55 PM
No, no. The suicide attempt and the reason behind it are all backstory. There is no sitting around at that bit. As far as they know they're regular folks. But then they get this odd black card with white lettering. And then they follow a bunch of clues, and realize they've been redeemed.

obliged_salmon
2011-03-23, 02:14 PM
The idea has potential, sure. You should certainly run it by your players before implementing it, of course.

erikun
2011-03-23, 02:23 PM
No, no. The suicide attempt and the reason behind it are all backstory. There is no sitting around at that bit. As far as they know they're regular folks. But then they get this odd black card with white lettering. And then they follow a bunch of clues, and realize they've been redeemed.
Oh, that should work fine then. Are the players kept completely in the dark of their backstory (i.e. Who am I? Where did I come from?) or are they aware of their backstory, but not how they got from "farmer son taking a journey" to waking up in the strange room?

You might want to make the suicides somewhat magical in origin, say from insanity, or taint, or nearby demons turning humans depressive. There's normally at least one person in most groups who would object to the idea that their character would suddenly have such a dramatic change in character without an outside source.

begooler
2011-03-23, 11:55 PM
I think this could work as the back story for one character. However, for a whole party, I can't imagine it running in such a way that it doesn't feel really contrived.

Toofey
2011-03-24, 02:06 AM
Is this the D&D version of groundhog day?

Serpentine
2011-03-24, 02:09 AM
I'd hate to show up with a happy, fulfilled character for this game and be told I have to make him suicidal.What're you doing with a character like that in D&D* in the first place? :smalltongue:

*Or pretty much any other system with the possible exception of the My Little Pony Roleplaying Game.

Ceaon
2011-03-24, 02:18 AM
Is this the D&D version of groundhog day?

No, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191855) is. :smallbiggrin:

Garwain
2011-03-24, 02:25 AM
It will certainly work if you don't tell them they are using their second chance. Make them figure it out by handing out clues left and right. But more importantly, reveal that they died out of their own free will. (possesed by a demon, or an heroic sacrifice, wrongfully accused and executed, a death squad taking out the wrong guy, etc... ).

I wouldn't mind playing a character that has died already, as long as I was doing something heroic while at it.

NichG
2011-03-24, 02:36 AM
I'd say if you leave the option open for the suicide to be more subtle, you'll get more player buy-in. Heroes do a lot of suicidal things after all, without being considered a suicide:

PC #1 died while fighting a battle against all odds, trying to hold off an army all on his own. PC #2 died because he got overconfident with the protection afforded by his seemingly supernatural luck, and cheated in a card game against a local thieves guild boss and got killed. PC #3 died trying to analyze the exact extent and nature of the protection he was receiving, subjecting himself to progressively more lethal situations until it snapped. PC #4 died playing a game of russian roulette with a Rod of Wonder, because he's just that crazy.

Basically warn the players 'your characters are going to have a traumatic backstory because of the way the campaign is structured, so plan with that in mind' and then give them some leeway to decide for themselves how they snapped and threw their lives away.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-24, 02:39 AM
This is my idea. All the characters suffered some tragedy in their lives. So they started adventuring to forget and hoping something would kill them or they'd die with honor at least.

But nothing ever does. Almost oddly so. So they each plan to kill themselves. One drinks poison, one sticks a sword up through his chest, one uses volatile magic for an explosion, etc.

But then they all wake up the next day, in the same inn, in a place none of them have been before, unscathed. They each have a small card with "REDEMPTION" on the front, and all the players' character names on the back.

What do you think?

Not a fan. See, here's the thing...redemption plotlines can be fun, but they mean a lot more when the player is seeking redemption for his or her own actions.

I'd probably take such a plotline, and leave it earmarked for if the players ever go bad, then want to redeem themselves.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-24, 05:12 AM
The search for redemption is a very strong theme; a very powerful motivator. If done well, it can be awesome. I had a paladin who fell. My fault, but you know what, I liked it. The charachter didn't, but it allowed me to explore some themes I wouldn't have otherwise been able to with that charachter. What was even better is the DM handled it so well. No drive through Atonements here, I had a quest to fulfil.
But this. . .I am a bit leery of. Let's look at it from a players perspective. Many families who have experienced this loss and/or have religious beliefs concerning suicide. I am not getting into specifics, but something that can hit so close to home like that may not be appropriate to bring to the table. It might work, depending on your group, but then it might not.

Sebastrd
2011-03-24, 03:13 PM

What do you think?

Ask your players. Since they'll be the ones playing it out, you should run it by them and see what they think. This is the type of scenario where everyone needs to be on board from the beginning.