PDA

View Full Version : How do you play a character with two heads/personalities?

randomhero00
2011-03-23, 01:24 PM
Would they get separate initiatives? Separate stats? etc

Dr.Epic
2011-03-23, 01:29 PM
I'd do it like this:
http://furiousfanboys.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Two_Face_6711.jpg

...but not like this:
http://kalafudra.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/two20face.jpg

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-23, 01:29 PM
Depends on 1) the exact nature of the two-headedness, and 2) the system. Having two heads has no effect in Exalted or M&M, for example.

BrowncoatJayson
2011-03-23, 01:33 PM
Would they get separate initiatives? Separate stats? etc

I've had a couple Ettin characters in the past, and what I had them do is roll up a second set of mental attributes for the second head (often with a penalty), and just roleplay everything else. The "faster" one (we always ended up with a second head that was a little slow, Int-speaking) makes the actions on the character's initiative, and the character can't "split" actions, but I did allow one head to use non-move actions, such as speaking and trying to figure out puzzles, while the other head fights. I figured that only one could be in control of the body at a time.

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 02:00 PM
I figured that only one could be in control of the body at a time.

I don't mean to sound too harsh here, but that's totally wrong.

An ettin fights with a morningstar or javelin in each hand. Because each of its two heads controls an arm, the ettin does not take a penalty on attack or damage rolls for attacking with two weapons.

I've played a character with five heads, once... It wasn't treated any differently than a character with one head, really. It was all roleplaying which head did what at any given time, but mechanically it didn't matter. Granted, that character was hand crafted by Tiamat in her image, so your mileage may vary.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-23, 02:06 PM
Yeah, multiple heads aren't traditionally a major change. See also, the hydra. Or aspects of tiamet.

For something funky, go Dvati.

Shadowleaf
2011-03-23, 03:33 PM
Yeah, multiple heads aren't traditionally a major change. See also, the hydra. Or aspects of tiamet.

For something funky, go Dvati.If you value your sanity, don't go Davity. Or at least, don't attempt to play one without heavy consideration as to other options.

Tyndmyr
2011-03-23, 03:35 PM
Oh, I almost never recommend actually PLAYING Dvati. There is usually a better option. They are pretty unique though, and some find the twin thing interesting.

akragster
2011-03-23, 05:05 PM
Roll a d% (or percentile dice or whatever), if the value is 90 or above, the character changes personalities/control-head-thing.

You could probably get away with having different stats for each (except health), since they both have trained different things through their life, but it may be hard to do (unless they're both mages).

You probably want to have them both be similar classes. Wizard/sorcerer combos are a lot easier to play than wizard/fighter combos.

Basically, just run it like two players who are brothers who happen to share a body (better yet, keep it secret so people think your characters are just a single crazy lunatic). Better buy some bags of holding, though, because carrying two character's worth of stuff is difficult!

hivedragon
2011-03-23, 05:09 PM
dolgrims (ECS) have one dominant mind and one subordinate mind

Lyndworm
2011-03-23, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that "subordinate" mind is pretty much crushed under the personality of the other; crushed to the point that it barely exists, its brain used only to increase the power of the first mind. Also, the have to brains and two faces, but they have only one head.