PDA

View Full Version : Infuser (homebrew class)

ericgrau
2011-03-23, 01:36 PM
The Infuser

The Infuser is the product of the combination of the efforts of prepared casters (wizards, clerics, etc.) and martial combat societies, such as orders of knights. First, a wizard, cleric or other prepared caster with the craft infusion feat creates infusions. Infusions are spells written on spellbooks or scrolls but specially prepared for Infusers. Infusions written in spellbooks are typical sold to Infusers for twice their cost. Scrolls, wands and staffs cost twice as much to create and likewise are sold for twice as much.

Only Infusers have the special training required to use these spells. They prepare them, like a wizard, but unlike a wizard they do not cast them later. Instead the spells are infused into their body for 24 hours and they continuously benefit from the effect during this time. Some spells are noted as "passive auto sense", meaning the Infuser does not need to concentrate on the effect to use it and that it emanates from him at the given radius rather than a cone. If the spell has a material component or focus, the Infuser must provide it while preparing the infusion. An Infuser may prepare an infusion in a slot higher than the infusion level, but the infusion's actual level does not change. Infusions are neither arcane nor divine; they are in their own category.

By default infusions target only the infuser, but some are targetted. Some allow the target to be switched. For these the first target is always the Infuser himself and he must touch the old target before transfering the effect to a new target (a standard action). If an infusion is dismissed or dispelled it returns 10 minutes later. If one is hit by a mage's disjunction, the Infuser must succeed on a will save or he loses the infusion until he prepares it again. Otherwise it is still dispelled and does not return until 10 minutes later.

Infusers typically depend on strength or dexterity as their primary means of combat, and intelligence second to power their infusions, as well as granting more skill points. As with most classes constitution is important for their survivability. With a medium base attack bonus they make passable combatants. But their infusions allow them to fill many utility roles and engage and defend against foes that more focused combatants might not be able to reach or find.

Game Statistics

Hit die: d8
Class Skills: The Infuser's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disguise (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge(Arcana) (Int), Knowledge(Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: (2 + Int modifier)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An infuser is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Spells: Infusers prepare spells called "infusions" each morning like a wizard. Unlike wizard spells they are cast immediately upon being prepared, last 24 hours and target only the Infuser unless otherwise noted. The Infuser's bonus spells and the power of some spells are dependent on his intelligence. There is no arcane spell failure chance for preparing spells while wearing armor, as Infusers are not arcane. See the Infuser's general description above for more details on infusions.

{table]|Base|Fort|Ref|Will||Spells|per|day|||||||
Level|Attack Bonus|Save|Save|Save|Special|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th |6th|7th|8th|9th**
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2||1||||||||
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3||2||||||||
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3||2|0|||||||
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4||2|1|||||||
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4||2|1|0||||||
6th|+4|+5|+2|+5||2|1|1||||||
7th|+5|+5|+2|+5||2|1|1|0|||||
8th|+6|+6|+2|+6||2|1|1|1|||||
9th|+6|+6|+3|+6||2|1|1|1|0||||
10th|+7|+7|+3|+7||2|1|1|1|1||||
11th|+8|+7|+3|+7||2|1|1|1|1|0|||
12th|+9|+8|+4|+8||2|1|1|1|1|1|||
13th|+9|+8|+4|+8||2|1|1|1|1|1|0||
14th|+10|+9|+4|+9||2|1|1|1|1|1|1||
15th|+11|+9|+5|+9||2|1|1|1|1|1|1|0|
16th|+12|+10|+5|+10||2|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|
17th|+12|+10|+5|+10||2|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|0
18th|+13|+11|+6|+11||2|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1
19th|+14|+11|+6|+11||2|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|0**
20th|+15|+12|+6|+12|Bonus metamagic feat|2|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1|1**
[/table]
* An Infuser with "0" spells per day for a spell level can prepare spells of that level only if he has a sufficient intelligence score to gain bonus spells of that level.
** While an Infuser has 9th level infusion slots there are no 9th level spells on his list. He may fill these slots using metamagic feats such as heighten and widen.

List of Core Infuser Spells

Non-core spells may be added to the list at the DM's discretion. As a rule of thumb increase the spell level by 1 for each step of duration below 10 min/level, or by 1 if the spell is a borderline fit for the class (if it is allowed at all). Typical infusions play utility roles and do not grant a numerical bonus unless they also have a utility function.

light, targetted, switch target at will (removing the old light)
prestidigitation, may target other objects as normal
read magic

detect magic, passive auto sense 30'
endure elements
mage armor
disguise self
magic aura, self or own equipment (only as long as carried), conceal or display up to caster level auras
hide from undead
know direction
detect snares and pits, passive auto sense 30'
hide from animals
longstrider
pass without trace

protection from chaos/evil/good/law, 4 distinct infusions
detect secret doors, passive auto sense 30'
detect undead, passive auto sense 30'
ventriloquism
protection from arrows
resist energy
see invisibility
darkness, targetted, switch target at will (removing the old darkness)
misdirection
darkvision
spider climb
detect chaos/evil/good/law, no concentration required, auto sense 30', 4 distinct infusions
detect undead, no concentration required, auto sense 30'
jump
entropic shield
delay poison
shield other, targetted, switch target at will (removing the old target)
undetectable alignment
tree shape, 10 minutes to recreate after dismissed

accurate blows (new), +1 insight bonus to attack rolls and you know where to strike as long as you pick the right square to attack: negates concealment, displacement, mirror image, etc.
chill touch
detect thoughts, passive auto sense 30'
locate object, change object at will
invisiblity, returns 10 minutes after broken by an attack
alter self
levitate
nondetection
protection from energy
phantom steed, not self, returns in 10 minutes if destroyed
daylight, targetted, switch target at will (removing the old daylight)
shrink item, targetted, caster level items shrunken at any time, 10 minutes to reshrink, only caster may shrink/restore
enlarge person, humanoid caster only
reduce person, humanoid caster only
water breathing
sanctuary, restored 10 minutes after broken
find traps
silence
deeper darkness
water walk
neutralize poison, poison immunity only, does not remove old poisons
tongues

overland flight
arcane sight
stoneskin
detect scrying
locate creature, targetted, switch target at will
Mnemonic enhancer, prepare function only, cast during the day not the morning
calm emotions, centered on self (mobile effect)
air walk
freedom of movement
imbue with spell ability, targetted, grants infusions instead, must be cast while preparing infusions
spell immunity
antiplant shell, 10 minutes to restore after collapsed or broken
repel vermin
glibness
sculpt sound

fly
telepathic bond, multiple targets determined when prepared
seeming
invisibility purge
death ward

blink
globe of invulnerability, lesser
fire shield
antimagic field, may be dismissed at will, requiring 10 minutes to re-activate; suppresses caster's infusions too
shadow walk, 10 minutes to switch to/form planar border from/to another plane
veil
true seeing
find the path, 10 minutes to select a new destination
wind walk
zone of silence

instant summons, targetted, 24 hours only, no material component
statue
limited wish, grants a level 1-6 infusion in the morning even if the Infuser does not know it or even if it is a DM approved custom infusion of similar power, nothing else
greater invisibility
anti-life shell, returns 10 minutes later if collapsed
stone tell
spell resistance

globe of invulnerability
repulsion, affects allies too
mislead
arcane sight, greater
mage's sword, appears next to Infuser when prepared
foresight
mind blank
protection from spells
moment of prescience, restored 10 minutes after discharged
iron body
greater spell immunity
astral projection

I'd like ideas for more infusions for level 0, 5 and 7. They don't need to be based on existing spells.

tzaan
2011-03-23, 02:16 PM
I don't get it...why would anyone want to play this class instead of being a wizard with the persistent spell feat?

edit: *facepalm* didn't read the bit about how it's a martial/arcane hybrid. Ima go crawl back under my ignorance stone now

ericgrau
2011-03-23, 02:17 PM
Persistent spell increases the spell level by 6. EDIT: Also martial weapons, heavy armor and a medium base attack bonus. Ya. The price of responding first lol :smalltongue:.

tzaan
2011-03-23, 02:28 PM
ok, now that my brain is actually functional :smallredface:

so they're immediately cast upon preparation...right-o. How does arcane spell failure come into this? Some people will just sleep in their BO-ridden full plate after all and immediately prep their spells. Armored Mage progression or just completely ignore spell failure due to 'spell simplicity'?

ericgrau
2011-03-23, 02:43 PM
Well you could always put your armor on after preparing spells. And technically they aren't arcane or divine so there's no arcane spell failure. I'll add a clause to clarify that armor isn't an obstacle.

In case it isn't already clear this is a utility persistent-spell gish class.

ericgrau
2011-04-02, 08:54 PM
So no other input for this? Balanced? Fun? Unbalanced? Unfun? Summary of class at end of post above. One last bump til this goes to the grave.

Benly
2011-04-02, 09:15 PM
How does the class's spellcasting interact with prestige classes that add spells to a spell list?

ericgrau
2011-04-02, 09:26 PM
It's neither arcane nor divine so PrCs get shafted. Custom PrCs could be made though. An eldritch knight mimic is probably out but theurge types could make good custom PrCs. A wizard-infuser theurge especially would fit the fluff.

Benly
2011-04-02, 10:40 PM
It's neither arcane nor divine so PrCs get shafted. Custom PrCs could be made though. An eldritch knight mimic is probably out but theurge types could make good custom PrCs. A wizard-infuser theurge especially would fit the fluff.

I'm not sure you understand the question - there are various ways to add new spells to a character's list, some of which the Infuser qualifies for. Some of these spells do not make sense with the Infuser's special spellcasting rules. How do you resolve these?

ericgrau
2011-04-05, 06:30 PM
Hmm, it might be better then to say that infusions are like spells, but they are not actually spells. But I don't think I'm familiar with the PrCs you are referring to.

Elfstone
2011-04-05, 08:17 PM
Needs fluff fufilling class abilities at at least every other level. Maybe something with infusing (Minor) attack spells into your weapon? Cantrips perhaps? 1d6 acid or sound damage ever attack wouldn't break a game.

Realms of Chaos
2011-04-05, 09:07 PM
Hmmm... I see. With a high enough intelligence score, this class gets a new infusion at each level...

That said, this class looks conceptually interesting but a bit boring to play. In the course of actual game play, some of the infusions allow you to use actions on the fly to alter decisions and whatnot but your abilities are for the most part passive. This person has nothing to spend its actions on in combat other than simple attacking/full attacking.

Veyr
2011-04-05, 09:27 PM
I tend to concur with RoC's analysis; with everything pre-set at the beginning of the day, you don't get anything interesting to do with your actions.

It actually reminds me a lot of Incarnum, but Incarnum's soulmelds give you new abilities, too. Also, there's always investment shifting...

Anyway, another point of interest: you have a bit of name conflict, since the Artificer class from Eberron Campaign Setting (as well as the Cyre Scout from Dragonmarked) uses abilities similar to spells called Infusions. I'd figured this was some sort of Infusion imbuing class.

jiriku
2011-04-05, 09:48 PM
I don't think I would play it. With no class features, few skills, and no more than a couple dozen spells in effect (albeit all at once), you just don't have the breadth of versatility and options that even a decent T3 class can boast.

Levels 1-2 are particularly harsh, since at that point you're essentially a fighter with fewer hit points, no bonus feats, and at-will prestidigitation.

NEEDS MOAR!

ericgrau
2011-04-06, 10:04 PM
Hmm I thought it was more interesting than a barbarian at least. I mean they rage and hit stuff. At least this guy senses nearby evil foes and walks on walls on his way to hitting stuff. And don't forget how useful light is in level 1 dungeons. The class does need a lot more infusions for level 0, 5 and 7, though.

That was the idea that, like a wizard, to make the fun come from the spells. But ok, special abilities used as an action always makes a class more fun. Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a free action boost 1/round, or a special attack or manuever, but I'm drawing blanks on exactly what to use.

How about... he can use a fighter bonus feat a number of times per day equal to his infuser level. Doing so is a free action, the feat lasts 1 round, he may only use 1 per round, and he picks the feats available to him in the morning (the number of which equals his infuser level). These could also be used for 1/day ToB maneuvers via martial study. Then you could say "today I feel like tripping once and oh a quick draw might be handy too in case I switch weapons. Better bring an iron heart surge just in case." This is a mind affecting (Su) ability, so it's magical. I imagine they would take the form of magical written instructions, so he could only select from among those he has in his book.