PDA

View Full Version : slayer help

hivedragon
2011-03-23, 03:57 PM
race: changeling
class: egoist 6/warblade 1/slayer x
1st and 5th egoist substitution levels from RoE

need help with feat/power/maneuver selection
also what specific kind of psionic creature should I select as my favored enemy?

classy one
2011-03-24, 05:13 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to select illithid, since that's what it says in XPH....

If you are using the SRD one, I would still pick illithid because most of the abilities are keyed off being anti-illithid.

If you just love illithids too much and don't want to kill them, I'd go with Yuan-ti.

Don't have ToB in front of me but I favor the diamond mind stuff as they need concentration which is something you want to max out anyway.

BenInHB
2011-03-24, 05:37 PM
Raining Blood!! from a lacerated sky. Bleeding it's Horror. Creating my structure. Now I shall reign, REIGN IN BLOOD!!

Cog
2011-03-24, 06:54 PM
what specific kind of psionic creature should I select as my favored enemy?
Ask your DM.

Either he'll be with you or against you on this, and it's a very particular decision. If he doesn't want the ability to come up, you won't face the chosen critter no matter what you choose; it'll be too easy to come up with an alternative. If, instead, he is willing to work with you on it, then you should take advantage of that.

The rest of the question is pretty broad. Just look up a Psion handbook. Assuming you'll have a high Concentration, though, the save-replacement maneuvers are a pretty obvious option.

classy one
2011-03-25, 12:38 AM
IMO slayer sucks. People go gaga over it just because it has 9/10 ML and full BAB, but it's class features are dissappointing at best. Unless you are facing an illithid or something else that dazes or stuns you on a regular basis. Which you won't.

Features I like is where you can reduce PR/SR with your melee attacks. That's it.

Unless features are the rest. Looks take a look:

1) cerebral immunity: immunity to mind affecting powers. Sounds great until you read "while psionically focused". I like my linked power. Hell, I like my talented as well. This feat is useless if you plan to use any metapsionic or even many basic feats (like deep impact).
2) cerebral blind: people can't remote view you. Sounds great in paper except for the fact people can still just get in viewing distance of you and spy on you directly. And your DM WILL ALWAYS know what is up with you. And as a changeling, you are hard to spy on anyway. Complete waste IMO.

Brain nausea: so I'm still stunned and helpless and the only thing this does is prevent someone from eating my brain. I bet that comes in real handy when they coup d'grace me.... If you wanted to act while dazed or stunned Sancitfied mind or even a unconditional power would be far superior.

Blast feedback: no matter what edition slayer you use, this specifically states it only works on mind blasts. Which is strange since no monsters in SRD have this ability making the SRD slayer even more useless. You can't even say "blast could mean eldritch blast or energy blast" because it states in no uncertain terms "mind blast". Useless capstone for a useless PrC.

My advice would be to just convert Eldritch Knight to Psionic Knight using the transpancy to give yourself 2 feats (track for slayer and eldritch knight gives a free one). The dip in warblade will let you meet the martial weapon requirement as well.