PDA

View Full Version : Thayan knight. The most overpowered melee class in existence?

Hazzardevil
2011-03-23, 05:32 PM
In complete warrior theres that weird class the Thayan Knight. At 3rd level it grants a fighter bonus feat. Doesn't this mean that he can take any fighter feat he wants? That means he can take weapon mastery or some other feat meant to be taken by a level 18 fighter at level 8.
It says in a book somewhere that if it says that it gains a bonus feat, it doesn't have to meet the prequisistics.

So can a Thayan knight take weapon mastery without meeting the requirements?

Keld Denar
2011-03-23, 05:34 PM
No. The class has to have a footnote stating that the prereqs do not have to be met. See the monk class description for details.

Worira
2011-03-23, 05:35 PM
The fighter class also gets fighter bonus feats.

Hazzardevil
2011-03-23, 05:37 PM
Oh, my mistake then.
I though by RAW it meant you can choose any fighter bonus feat.

Khatoblepas
2011-03-23, 05:41 PM
And even if it did, it wouldn't be the most overpowered, even if you could take Weapon Supremacy or one of the really high level tactical feats..

It would just be... okay. You automatically fail will saves vs. Red Wizards' attacks, and gain a couple of minor bonuses otherwise. There are better uses for levels.

I expect a Frenzied Berserker could go into it for 3 levels instead of 1 for a minor perk.

Urpriest
2011-03-23, 05:47 PM
And even if it did, it wouldn't be the most overpowered, even if you could take Weapon Supremacy or one of the really high level tactical feats..

It would just be... okay. You automatically fail will saves vs. Red Wizards' attacks, and gain a couple of minor bonuses otherwise. There are better uses for levels.

I expect a Frenzied Berserker could go into it for 3 levels instead of 1 for a minor perk.

Well, "any fighter bonus feat and you don't have to meet prerequisites" has been interpreted by some silly people on this board to include Epic Leadership and its cousins, so there's that issue.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-23, 07:00 PM
Well, "any fighter bonus feat and you don't have to meet prerequisites" has been interpreted by some silly people on this board to include Epic Leadership and its cousins, so there's that issue.

You mean by the same people who believe that when a rogue gets his bonus feats at later levels, he gets to choose even Epic feats, because they're bonus feats adn somehow don't require you to meet all the other Prereqs. (Saw that come up a lot October-December last year)

Thurbane
2011-03-23, 08:11 PM
Thayan knight. The most overpowered melee class in existence?

Cancer Mage would disagree. A dip is enough to get you near infinite STR.

faceroll
2011-03-23, 11:15 PM
Thayan knight. The most overpowered melee class in existence?

Cancer Mage would disagree. A dip is enough to get you near infinite STR.

Doesn't Cancer Mage require casting?

Zaq
2011-03-23, 11:18 PM
Cancer Mage neither requires nor advances casting.

Anyway, I'm in the "even if it did grant feats without prereqs, it's hardly overpowered" camp. Most melee feats aren't so overwhelmingly ZOMGTEHAWESOME that getting them without the prereqs will be the difference between a bad character and a good character. Even Weapon Supremacy, while nice, isn't going to make or break an otherwise bad character (nor turn an otherwise OK character into a god).

Thurbane
2011-03-24, 01:16 AM
Doesn't Cancer Mage require casting?
FWIW, I concur that a class that neither requires nor advances casting having a name like Cancer Mage is a wee bit silly...

Hazzardevil
2011-03-24, 01:24 PM
That was very silly indeed.

Malevolence
2011-03-24, 01:41 PM
Because weapon mastery is great, right?

Hyfigh
2011-03-24, 02:10 PM
Because weapon mastery is great, right?

Sooo much better than spell casting.... :smalltongue:

Malevolence
2011-03-24, 02:17 PM