PDA

View Full Version : Which Fantasy to Follow (Qin versus L5R)

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-23, 06:26 PM
Basically, I have a few bucks to spare, and I'm trying to determine which book or books to buy. Currently, I have two choices, which are unlikely to change barring some incredible book being released by morning.

If I go with Qin, I can get Bestiary and Legends, which will give me a lot of information about the Warring States era legends and beasts. The downside includes not knowing anyone to play Qin with, and the rarity of players.

If I go with L5R, I can get Enemies of the Empire, which gives me rules for playing naga, nezumi and ronin, as well as some other mostly useless stuff. The downside includes not knowing anyone to play L5R with either, and the more subdued tone of L5R not being as interesting as Qin.

What should I do?

erikun
2011-03-23, 06:47 PM
Are you familiar with the two systems? Qin apparently uses "Tao dice", two d10 dice that are rolled and the numbers compared to each other. How close they are indicates how "synched" your attempt is and how effective it is (as I understand the system, at least). They're called Tao dice because one is Yin and one is Yang, which apparently has effects in a few rolls - namely magic.

L5R uses a more common rolling system, but characters are based off of five attributes - Fire, Water, Wood, Earth, and Metal. The five attributes determine the qualities of the character, with Wood determining health, Earth determining strength, and so on. Most characters operate better when the attributes are in sync, rather than just a single one minmaxed, so trying to grab the most strength or martial ability may not be the most recommended path.

Beyond that, I know virtually nothing about the systems or settings. I've just leafed through the L5R books once, and haven't even done that much with Qin. Hope it helps a bit, though.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-23, 06:49 PM
I have both system's core rulebooks. The books I mentioned are supplements.

((Also, that's not L5R traits work.

EDIT: That's not how the Yin/Yang dice work either.))

erikun
2011-03-23, 09:24 PM
Then I shall remain silent when discussions about either of those systems show up in the future. Thanks for correcting me.

Matthew
2011-03-23, 09:54 PM
I would go with Qin, I think because there is less canon to learn.