PDA

View Full Version : Tea: Good for the soul!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 07:02 PM
I've been drinking tea on a daily basis as long as I can remember. Both my parents love it, and raised me on it with grim determination - telling me that is was good for the soul and giving it to me with every meal. Today, my cupboards are stocked with at least a dozen kinds of tea at any given time, and I pick up a box or two whenever I visit the grocery store.
What are your experiences with tea? What are your favorite kinds? How do you drink it? When?

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-23, 07:09 PM
I drink tea ritually. That is to say, whenever there is an important occasion that requires coffee or tea, I drink tea (because I dislike Turkish coffee). Since it is done ritually, I only drink black tea with no milk, because you cannot exactly break tradition and start drinking green tea.

Nix Nihila
2011-03-23, 07:12 PM
Mm... Tea.. I love tea.

Actually, after doing some recreational mathematics today, I went to a local teahouse that has some pretty awesome tea. I believe I had the Dark Nest Pu-Er. It was very earthy and delicious. It also was almost black, which was pretty cool.

Another of my favorites is Rize Cay. Yum.

Other than that, I drink lots of kinds of green, white, and herbal teas.

But yeah, I think I'm going to end up being a tea connoisseur.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-23, 07:14 PM
You don't have to tell me. Iroh drinks it, and anything Mako approves is good in my book.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 07:20 PM
My favorite kinds of tea include...

Earl Grey
India Spice Chai
Sleepytime
English Breakfast
Irish Breakfast

Please share your favorites.

Lord Loss
2011-03-23, 07:20 PM
Good idea. Time to get me some tea. Also, my friend makes his own spicy tea with a variety of ingredients. The stuff is freaking amazing...

I usually drink green tea myself.

Orzel
2011-03-23, 07:21 PM
Drinking tea right now

mandarin orange herbal tea. I like orange in my tea.

Once I traded a piece of cake for tea. I REAAAALY needed tea that morning.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 07:24 PM
Drinking tea right now

mandarin orange herbal tea. I like orange in my tea.

Once I traded a piece of cake for tea. I REAAAALY needed tea that morning.

I just finished a cup of black tea with rice-milk*. It was really damn good.

*I have a tragic dairy allergy.

THAC0
2011-03-23, 08:07 PM
We're a tea household!

Mostly Stash brands, but occasionally some others.

Mostly herbal teas, but again, a fair mix of others.

When I'm at work, I'll usually go through 3-5 cups, then another cup or so before bed. Mmm.

I've got a tea box, and two shelves devoted to teas!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 08:15 PM
We're a tea household!

Mostly Stash brands, but occasionally some others.

Mostly herbal teas, but again, a fair mix of others.

When I'm at work, I'll usually go through 3-5 cups, then another cup or so before bed. Mmm.

I've got a tea box, and two shelves devoted to teas!

Herbal is good, but I have a healthy dose of British blood and prefer heavily-steeped caffeinated black stuff. I don't drink coffee because I find a good cup of thick black tea similar in effect and much more enjoyable. I can also drink more of it before getting jittery.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-23, 08:30 PM
I went to a local teahouse that has some pretty awesome tea. I believe I had the Dark Nest Pu-Er. It was very earthy and delicious. It also was almost black, which was pretty cool.

I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one who loves this stuff! Pu-Erh is my favorite too! I have a Yixing (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yixing_clay_teapot) teapot that I use only for Pu-Erh.

-Monkey

Haruki-kun
2011-03-23, 09:16 PM
I was just wondering if I should go make a cup of tea. Thank you. I shall take this as a sign.

Kneenibble
2011-03-23, 09:23 PM
Well I hope you brought enough tea for the whole thread, Harukissimo. :smallmad: Otherwise you owe me some cacao beans in a silk purse.

I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one who loves this stuff! Pu-Erh is my favorite too! I have a Yixing (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yixing_clay_teapot) teapot that I use only for Pu-Erh.

Where did you get your yixing teapot, Monkey baby? I covet this item greatly.

Dvandemon
2011-03-23, 09:32 PM
My aunt has a small collection of tea and let me try some of her cranberry tea (two cups, one with sugar). I loved the faint flavors and delicate aroma but I rather enjoy the more savory Tapioca Pearl Milk Ice Tea.

Brisk is okay if I'm really craving tea with nowhere to find it :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2011-03-23, 09:32 PM
Well I hope you brought enough tea for the whole thread, Harukissimo. :smallmad: Otherwise you owe me some cacao beans in a silk purse.

As long as you don't mind them modern bags of tea.

*gulps* Hmmm... unsweetened Green tea. It tastes like... hot water with leaves.

Nix Nihila
2011-03-23, 09:47 PM

-Monkey

Yay! Yeah, I'd never heard of Pu-Er until I started going there, but it's really good!

And, I love clay teapots, although I only have one.

Yeah, I prefer the sweeter, milder green teas to the grassy ones (note: by "sweeter" I don't mean "sweetened"). Although there are some very delectable vegetal green teas. My favorite has a mild smoky flavour.

As a rule, I think loose tea is far superior to tea bags.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 10:05 PM
I love tea nerds! This thread is my baby.

Trog
2011-03-23, 10:09 PM
I like a good Japanese green tea now and then I suppose.

Lady Moreta
2011-03-23, 10:10 PM
I was just wondering if I should go make a cup of tea. Thank you. I shall take this as a sign.

Seconded. I was just debating the same thing :smalltongue:

Heehee, I've thought the same thing about the tea you get in Chinese restaurants (and I'll state outright that I'm not sure exactly what type of tea that is). I can understand why they serve it though, it really is quite refreshing.

*blinkblink* wow, I've had this window open for almost an hour... guess I should finish the post...

I have at home:
English Breakfast
Earl Grey
Dilmah (normal ceylon)
Chamomile

I have a limit of 2 cups per day though - I accidentally gave myself a caffiene addition during uni and ever since then I've forced myself to keep to a limit. I've also drunk of a lot some form of Indian chai - we lived on that stuff during my archaeological fieldschool paper.

John Cribati
2011-03-23, 10:12 PM

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Iroh-Chibi-iroh-1150334_354_429.jpg

It is obviously not made with enough love.

I myself am quite partial to Orange Pekoe and Fennel.

Haruki-kun
2011-03-23, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I prefer the sweeter, milder green teas to the grassy ones (note: by "sweeter" I don't mean "sweetened"). Although there are some very delectable vegetal green teas. My favorite has a mild smoky flavour.

As a rule, I think loose tea is far superior to tea bags.

Heehee, I've thought the same thing about the tea you get in Chinese restaurants (and I'll state outright that I'm not sure exactly what type of tea that is). I can understand why they serve it though, it really is quite refreshing.

I only drink it for health reasons, though: It's really good for you. I don't actually like the taste that much. :smallfrown:

But of course, I shouldn't keep drinking so much coffee. Unless I start drinking it plain, which I just can't.

It is obviously not made with enough love.

That could be a problem, yeah. :smalltongue:

Nix Nihila
2011-03-23, 10:24 PM
Hmmm... Well what sort do you drink? If you don't like green teas in general that might be a problem (although perhaps you haven't found the right one yet), but there are lots that I like, and I hate your standard tea bag green tea. Of course, depending on the tea you go for it can be expensive/hard to find/a pain to brew, so maybe it's not worth the effort.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 11:03 PM
I like a good Japanese green tea now and then I suppose.

Than you would probably like that kind of green tea from Silk Road that has rice powder in it. I bought it for my mother and she drank about half a gallon a day. I'll try to remember the name.

Dvandemon
2011-03-23, 11:12 PM
What do you tea nerds think of bubble tea? What kind of "add-ons" do you take with your tea (i.e. milk, sugar, etc.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 11:13 PM
What do you tea nerds think of bubble tea? What kind of "add-ons" do you take with your tea (i.e. milk, sugar, etc.)

Bubble tea is okay. All my friends drink it, so I drink it with them; but I'm not really a big fan.

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-23, 11:15 PM
Tea. Black. Earl Grey. Hot.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-23, 11:21 PM
Tea. Black. Earl Grey. Hot.

Yes. Very few things are as good as a simple, hot cup of earl grey tea with a splash of cream and no sweetener.

THAC0
2011-03-23, 11:34 PM
Herbal is good, but I have a healthy dose of British blood and prefer heavily-steeped caffeinated black stuff. I don't drink coffee because I find a good cup of thick black tea similar in effect and much more enjoyable. I can also drink more of it before getting jittery.

Whereas I've only found one or two black teas that I actually enjoy drinking. I love how there's a tea for everyone!

I also have experimented with making my own (herbal)tea. I gather rosehips in the fall and dry them, then mix with dried mint and crushed cinnamon sticks. Yum!

Haruki-kun
2011-03-23, 11:40 PM
Hmmm... Well what sort do you drink? If you don't like green teas in general that might be a problem (although perhaps you haven't found the right one yet), but there are lots that I like, and I hate your standard tea bag green tea. Of course, depending on the tea you go for it can be expensive/hard to find/a pain to brew, so maybe it's not worth the effort.

Hmm... well, this one's cheap and comes with a lot of bags, so I guess it works. And you know, all that stuff they say about Green Tea being so good for you and all...

Amiel
2011-03-23, 11:46 PM
Real men drink crumpets and eat tea.

I should get into tea-drinking; don't really have the stomach for it though; one of my friends likes tea with a burning passion.

Trog
2011-03-24, 12:29 AM
Than you would probably like that kind of green tea from Silk Road that has rice powder in it. I bought it for my mother and she drank about half a gallon a day. I'll try to remember the name.

Hmm... never heard of Silk Road. I keep this stuff (http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Green-Teas/Gyokuro-Imperial-Green-Tea.axd) on hand. P=

@v It is? :smallconfused: Funny... works fine for me when I click it. Hmm... And yes for those that cannot see it the tea is Gyokuro Imperial Green Tea. P=

Kneenibble
2011-03-24, 12:34 AM
@^ Mmmmmm... gyokuro.
(I think your link is broken though)

Hmm... well, this one's cheap and comes with a lot of bags, so I guess it works. And you know, all that stuff they say about Green Tea being so good for you and all...

There's your problem right there: cheap green tea bags rarely rise above their hot-leaf-water inclinations. That's mostly leaf dust and stems too, less healthy than whole tender leaves.

If you have "Oriental Markets" in your geography good sir, get your fine caramel ass over there and purchase a very inexpensive bag of Sencha. It is a Japanese green tea that does not cost a lot and packs a lovely grassy and slightly sweet flavour, and I guarantee you will find better health in its spring green liquor than in the sallow murk of dust in a bag. Even a cheap box of gunpowder tea will do you better than that.

Dust is actually a technical term, by the way. It's the lowest grade of tea and it's what you almost always find in bags.

Unless you're happy with what you're doing. I do not mean to criticize you, but it pains me to think of somebody forcing down bad tea for health.

Bleak Ink
2011-03-24, 12:37 AM
I can't stand soda or coffee, but I will drink tea constantly; I have far too much blood in my Chamomile system. I'll drink, or at least try, any kind of tea, but chamomile and I have always had a special bond.

Haruki-kun
2011-03-24, 12:38 AM
Unless you're happy with what you're doing. I do not mean to criticize you, but it pains me to think of somebody forcing down bad tea for health.

I'll give it a go, thanks. Not sure if I can find better quality tea or a specialized store that sells it, though. But I'll look for it.

Amiel
2011-03-24, 12:46 AM
Dust almost sounds like it could be an addictive substance.

Kneenibble
2011-03-24, 12:54 AM
This one's had a few.
http://www.vintagepirates.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/crazy-tea-lady.jpg

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-24, 12:56 AM
My mother has always loved heavily steeped chamomile with lots and lots of milk. I find it a bit creepy to be honest. The only thing anyone should put in chamomile is honey.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-24, 01:08 AM
I am a bit of a snob. If it isn't made with some part of Camellia sinensis , it is not tea. They are nice, but they aren't tea. We even have at least one word just for them, tisane. And how do I like tea? Keep the water boiling, heat the pot, which should be something of good solid glazed pottery, steep for several minutes, and the milk goes in the cup first. I like it so strong it dries out your mouth, so hot it almost, but not quite, burns your tongue. On warm days I ether drink hot tea for a good sweat or put it, pot and all, in the fridge and have cold tea with milk. Which always goes first.
Always.

Brother Oni
2011-03-24, 07:22 AM

It's also an aid to digestion from a traditional Chinese medicine point of view.

As for what tea it actually is, it depends on the restaurant in question - the stuff served in the UK is noticably different to the stuff served in Hong Kong and even there it varies slightly on the quality of the establishment.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-24, 08:30 AM

Where did you get your yixing teapot, Monkey baby? I covet this item greatly.

Knee-Knee, my darling, I found both my yixing teapots here, at The Perennial Tea Room (http://perennialtearoom.com/) in Seattle Washington, near Pike's Place Market.

While there are many places online to buy yixing pot, because the women who own this tiny shop do such a fine job, I like to recommend them. You can order from their website.

Anyone who ever visits Seattle and likes tea must make a stop here.

My Pu-erh pot looks like a stylized version of the heffalump in Winnie the Pooh. I love it.

-Monkey

Borgh
2011-03-24, 10:53 AM
At the moment I have:
Black tea (five varieties0
Apple (two varieties)
Forrest fruit (two brands)
Earl gey (three varieties)
Rooibos (four varieties
Green tea (four varieties)
Lemon
Jasmine
mint (three varieties)
cirtus and orange flower
passionfriut
Mango
Chai (ginger-ish)
Lavender
Cocos
Verbena

Categorized to dominating flavor for the varieties

Borgh ♥ tea

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-24, 10:55 AM
At the moment I have:
Black tea (five varieties0
Apple (two varieties)
Forrest fruit (two brands)
Earl gey (three varieties)
Rooibos (four varieties
Green tea (four varieties)
Lemon
Jasmine
mint (three varieties)
cirtus and orange flower
passionfriut
Mango
Chai (ginger-ish)
Lavender
Cocos
Verbena

Categorized to dominating flavor for the varieties

Borgh ♥ tea

Cool. I nod my head to you.

grimbold
2011-03-24, 11:54 AM
i drink mostly apple and lemon herbal teas
i have at least a cup a day however i have cleared 8 in a day
i <3 tea

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-24, 12:00 PM
i drink mostly apple and lemon herbal teas
i have at least a cup a day however i have cleared 8 in a day
i <3 tea

That's good for when your'e sick, but you should really start dabbling in heavy-duty black tea. It has more vigor to it, and gets the testosterone pumping if you steep it enough.

Si-on
2011-03-24, 12:12 PM
I love me some tea. I only drink black tea in tea bags. My current favourite is Yorkshire Tea. Its blended locally and is exported world wide. Each area gets its own blend depending on the mineral content of the water, so whereever you go it always tastes the same. On my 8th or 9th mug of the day at the moment. Milk and two sugars please.

Goosefeather
2011-03-24, 01:18 PM
The place I'm staying has a weird youtube filter, so I'm not sure if this'll work, as I can't personally access it, but I feel this is an appropriate point to mention the pleasures of a Cup of Brown Joy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA).

Borgh
2011-03-24, 03:07 PM
The place I'm staying has a weird youtube filter, so I'm not sure if this'll work, as I can't personally access it, but I feel this is an appropriate point to mention the pleasures of a Cup of Brown Joy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eELH0ivexKA).

I'm linking this the next time some guys rap is just black dudes drooling about garden equipment.:smallbiggrin:

I will now make earl grey!

ragingrage
2011-03-24, 03:37 PM
Personally, tea is what I drink right before I go to bed. Its nice, as it's pretty mild and not very sweet

My favorite flavors are probably chamomile, orange pekoe, or earl grey.

Kneenibble
2011-03-24, 03:59 PM
All this talk of chamomile obliges me to describe the wonderful experience of growing and harvesting German chamomile in my garden. It's a lovely delicate little plant, and if a breeze so much as ruffles their flowers while you're nearby that apply-grassy-sweet smell wafts up in a sublime cloud.

It's laborious to pick, sure; but to be in the warm sun surrounded by that smell for hours is a delight. The flavour of home-grown is better and you need only put the flowers in a paper bag and they will dry beautifully. I drank the last of last year's harvest a few weeks ago.

Much like mint, alas, it will attempt to take over wherever it is planted -- but on the other hand it has a positive effect on all other plants around it and the soil.

That's good for when your'e sick, but you should really start dabbling in heavy-duty black tea. It has more vigor to it, and gets the testosterone pumping if you steep it enough.
I... :smalleek:
You... :smallredface:
I'd love to drink black tea with you one day. :smallamused:

Katana_Geldar
2011-03-24, 04:49 PM
Yes. Very few things are as good as a simple, hot cup of earl grey tea with a splash of cream and no sweetener.

Cream? *shudders*

You people are odd, there's a reson why I have my tea like Picard.

Dvandemon
2011-03-24, 04:51 PM
Now I'm wondering how far I could go with tea :/

Thufir
2011-03-24, 08:46 PM
My greatest failing as an anglophile is that I do not habitually drink tea.
Though I have acquired a liking for Lady Grey tea at least, on the occasions that I drink it. I should try other types of tea, but buying boxes of teabags of them doesn't seem particularly worth it given the frequency with which I actually drink the stuff.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-24, 09:39 PM
All this talk of chamomile obliges me to describe the wonderful experience of growing and harvesting German chamomile in my garden. It's a lovely delicate little plant, and if a breeze so much as ruffles their flowers while you're nearby that apply-grassy-sweet smell wafts up in a sublime cloud.

Oh ... I grew chamomile in my garden, inbetween and around everything else, and what you say is absolutely true, Knee. The loveliest smell ...

I miss my garden. :smallsad:

I grew mint in hanging baskets, and that worked wonderfully: you can really prune it hard, and it just springs back. Great to have on hand to make tea, or to add fresh to iced tea, or even just to smell. It's a beautiful plant, with so many varieties.

falco
2011-03-24, 11:53 PM
I normally like tea, but a few days ago I made tea from what I thought was nighttime blend, but turned out to be Yerba Mate, right before bed. I think I fell asleep around 6:30 a.m.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-25, 12:04 PM
I normally like tea, but a few days ago I made tea from what I thought was nighttime blend, but turned out to be Yerba Mate, right before bed. I think I fell asleep around 6:30 a.m.

That exact same thing has happened to me before. It was horrible. :smalleek: :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2011-03-25, 12:19 PM
I've drunk tea all my life, though the variety of the experience has kind of been stifled by the fact that at home we've always had black tea of the "Emperor's Bride"-brand. I've had many other varieties and I've found I do like many green teas also as well as other types of aromatized black teas, and I do also drink all the common black types (Earl Gray, Liptons and all that) whenever staying in hotels or for whatever reason enjoying a ready breakfast (military service comes to mind too; yes, we had some tea on breakfast there).

I've also realized I consume quite the impressive quantities of tea; I've had as many as 5 cups over the course of one evening and I tend to have some every morning and evening so I shudder to even think about the total amounts of tea I drink. At a point it made me realize that I really can't put sugar in there if I want to stay healthy so I've had my tea (and coffee) plain ever since.

Orzel
2011-03-25, 12:24 PM
I have been brewing tea in the sun all day.

Its lunch, time to add ice and taste it.
Soo good.
So orangey and tea-ey

THAC0
2011-03-25, 01:06 PM
I have been brewing tea in the sun all day.

Its lunch, time to add ice and taste it.
Soo good.
So orangey and tea-ey

So do you just sit it outside or something?

I'm Alaskan, obviously I've never been able to do something like that! However, we may be moving to the south in the somewhat near future and I need to figure out how to take advantage of the ridiculous heat!

Orzel
2011-03-25, 01:59 PM
Inside in a window surrounded by a semicircle of aluminum tube. Still too cold for outdoor brew.

In the summer I do outdoor brews.

Kneenibble
2011-03-25, 05:24 PM
Oh ... I grew chamomile in my garden, inbetween and around everything else, and what you say is absolutely true, Knee. The loveliest smell ...

I miss my garden. :smallsad:

I grew mint in hanging baskets, and that worked wonderfully: you can really prune it hard, and it just springs back. Great to have on hand to make tea, or to add fresh to iced tea, or even just to smell. It's a beautiful plant, with so many varieties.

What happened to your garden? :smallfrown:

Oh & does that store you mentioned sell only the yixing you see there or do they get different kinds regularly? That squash pot is adorable but if they rotate them then maybe I'll wait and see what else.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-25, 07:37 PM
What happened to your garden? :smallfrown:

Oh & does that store you mentioned sell only the yixing you see there or do they get different kinds regularly? That squash pot is adorable but if they rotate them then maybe I'll wait and see what else.

Long, sad story about the garden. Short version is: I lost everything.

The store has sold a variety of pots in the past. The two I bought there look nothing like the ones in the photo.

What type of yixing pot did you have in mind, Knee?

-Monkey

Mr. Snuggles
2011-03-25, 07:58 PM
I'm fortunate enough to live in China - a heaven for any tea drinker. I drink longjing tea as it grows nearby. I didn't know how lucky I was until I went back to the States and tried to order some longjing - OMG it's expensive. The shops are full of new tea right now and it's time to buy again. BTW, never call longjing tea "green tea". Green tea is an entire spectrum of tea, and longjing is a specific type (the best type!)

The place I live is also a center of production of white tea. I'm just now getting in to white tea so I can't really talk about it. It's not particularly famous or well-respected. Even inside China, white tea seems a poor cousin to longjing, oolong, pu'er, and others.

Everyone drinks tea here. It's easy to drink tea all the time because everyone is always drinking tea. I've learned to drink it their way: dump loose tea leaves in a glass (not mug) and fill with hot (not boiling, about 80 degrees C) water. Let brew for about a minute, until most of the tea leaves sink to the bottom. Blow the floating leaves out of your way to make enough room to sip. Spit out any tea leaves that get into your teeth. Tea kettle? Western corruption. Adding milk? Ugh, who came up with such a crazy idea? Teabags? How can you know the tea is fresh, you can't see it!

Interesting fact: before 1949, most of the tea that Americans drank was green tea from China. After 1949, Communists took over and banned all trade with the filthy evil capitalists. So, America got its tea from India instead, and switched to black tea as the "default" tea.

Bleak Ink
2011-03-25, 08:22 PM
All this talk of adding milk and cream to tea is disconcerting! I'll take mine straight, thank you. *raises nose haughtily*

Dvandemon
2011-03-25, 10:05 PM
*cough**snob**cough* Tea taste great either way :smallsmile:

Mayhem
2011-03-26, 02:35 AM
Heh, I love black tea. Other teas I just don't like, maybe it's the caffeine of black tea I like or something.
I consume a lot of it, maybe an unhealthy amount.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-03-26, 08:39 AM
How have I resisted this thread for so long? Sumptuous tea! So unutterably refreshing. I have not failed in my duties as an Englishman in the realms of drinking tea, I assure you.

Even in this far-flung locale of Cornwall, 330 miles from my native lands, my room is a sanctum of wondrous tea, my kettle and teapot being used at least as much as my laptop.

Speaking of which, my kettle is coming to the boil, so if you will excuse me...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-26, 11:25 AM
It's morning here and I want some tea. I could just get some of the usual over-steeped earl grey, but I decided to consult my fellow tea-nerds first. What should I drink?

Eldariel
2011-03-26, 11:29 AM
All this talk of adding milk and cream to tea is disconcerting! I'll take mine straight, thank you. *raises nose haughtily*

These words are music to my ears. <3 Luckily ears don't detect expressions.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-26, 11:32 AM
These words are music to my ears. <3 Luckily ears don't detect expressions.

No milk or cream in black tea? The stuff is still okay without it, but milky fat gives it that delicious comforting flourish.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-26, 05:33 PM
I don't add cream, but I do like a little milk in my tea and always first. I even like it cold with milk, though apple or peach juice are also nice mixes for cold tea.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-26, 06:00 PM
I think I'll brew myself some tea now. Any suggestions?

Kneenibble
2011-03-26, 06:15 PM
I think I'll brew myself some tea now. Any suggestions?

What else but a Darjeeling, the pinot noirs of tea.

Long, sad story about the garden. Short version is: I lost everything.

The store has sold a variety of pots in the past. The two I bought there look nothing like the ones in the photo.

What type of yixing pot did you have in mind, Knee?

-Monkey

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you have gained enough back since.

To be honest I'm not really sure about the yixing pot though: either something very classically Chinese and old-fashioned, or something whimsical and cute like that cutie squash. I need to see more to decide.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-26, 09:54 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you have gained enough back since.
Well, I still have my teapots, so don't feel too sorry for me. :smallbiggrin: Life goes on, and I'll have a garden again some day.

To be honest I'm not really sure about the yixing pot though: either something very classically Chinese and old-fashioned, or something whimsical and cute like that cutie squash. I need to see more to decide.

For whimsey, try Teavana (http://www.teavana.com/Tea-Products/Teapots-Teapot-Sets/Artisan-Teapots/Yixing-Teapots/), which is a nice enough company, even if it is a chain. They have some lovely things, and their selection of tea is good. I prefer to shop at small places, but I've never been disappointed by my experiences at Teavana.

Happy hunting! :smallsmile:

-Monkey

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-07, 08:11 PM
I had some English breakfast with almond milk and honey today. It was good, but something was off. Perhaps I added too much honey. Oh well.

Obrysii
2011-04-07, 08:17 PM
I need to get into the habit of drinking tea more regularly.

I recently purchased a tea ball so I can make loose-leaf tea, as I can't stand the powdery stuff.

I drink, presently, Revolution brand tea because it's largely loose-leaf-like.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-07, 08:30 PM
I have to tell you guys, Tea makes me ill. I don't really like the flavor of the more expensive/fresh types of tea. The gental teas taste gross to me, and the stronger ones make my stomach turn for days afterward. I will drink it when I have my bean juice banned from me.

There is an exception. A good friend of mine has a green house that she grows Hibiscus year round in. After it has been dried, and steeped...Oh God, I love it. No additives. I steep it for a bit, then cool and put over ice. That is my summer drink. Have it hot during the winter. I love that stuff.

Not really tea, but just the Dried Hibiscus flower steeped...mmmmm

Nerocite
2011-04-07, 08:34 PM
My favorite plain tea is mint. With some milk and honey, definitely some vanilla red.

1nfinite zer0
2011-04-07, 09:10 PM
black tea in the morning
green day in the day
red tea at night
:smallbiggrin:

Calmness
2011-04-07, 09:28 PM
I like the green variety. I don't drink much though because my tongue is very sensitive to hot liquids.

Nix Nihila
2011-04-07, 09:33 PM
It's always good to have a sensible tongue.

Went back to the aforementioned tea house. Tried some Tian Mu Long Zhu. It comes in the form of a bunch of cute little tea spheres that uncurl when you steep them, I think I might buy some.

thorgrim29
2011-04-09, 08:42 PM
I just had tea from what is apparently a village in China called Quitai, of something like that. It's very good, and it made me think of Alera.

The_Admiral
2011-04-09, 08:46 PM
Ny experience? Teh Tarikh with indian food

nixxieraindrop
2011-04-09, 08:57 PM
Harvest something that performs photosynthesis, dry it, place it in a body of water, and I'm there.

Give it to us bitter and medicinal.

Gaelbert
2011-04-09, 09:11 PM

It's gotten to the point where I drink more green tea than plain water. I average 5 cups of tea a day, and I find there's something comforting about a nice cup of green tea. Not too ostentatious, always warm and inviting.

I like bubble tea, but I wouldn't consider it real tea. Same thing with masala chai. I love masala chai, but when it's more milk than water, it doesn't count.

I am a bit of a snob. If it isn't made with some part of Camellia sinensis , it is not tea. They are nice, but they aren't tea. We even have at least one word just for them, tisane. And how do I like tea? Keep the water boiling, heat the pot, which should be something of good solid glazed pottery, steep for several minutes, and the milk goes in the cup first. I like it so strong it dries out your mouth, so hot it almost, but not quite, burns your tongue. On warm days I ether drink hot tea for a good sweat or put it, pot and all, in the fridge and have cold tea with milk. Which always goes first.
Always.

George Orwell and I disagree with you about the milk being first. (http://www.booksatoz.com/witsend/tea/orwell.htm) Milk last, always. Otherwise you can't eyeball it and you'll end up with obscene amounts of milk.

I love Professor Elemental. The women gyrating in the long dress is his wife. That just butters my biscuits.

Don't be too fast to judge. I used to feel the same, never put milk in my tea, but then I decided to give it a try with some Irish breakfast tea. I found that with some teas, the milk greatly enhances the flavour, resulting in an overall more joyful tea experience. Just don't go overboard with the milk. That is the path to the (not so) dark side.

It's morning here and I want some tea. I could just get some of the usual over-steeped earl grey, but I decided to consult my fellow tea-nerds first. What should I drink?

Irish breakfast tea. Strong, hearty, best way to start off the day. A little too strong to drink plain sometimes. The power rushes to my head, gives me a headache. But if you put milk in you also get the benefit of some actual nutritional substance to your tea and it becomes a proper breakfast.

I had some English breakfast with almond milk and honey today. It was good, but something was off. Perhaps I added too much honey. Oh well.

I've never been able to get honey to mix well with my tea. How do you do it?

I have to tell you guys, Tea makes me ill. I don't really like the flavor of the more expensive/fresh types of tea. The gental teas taste gross to me, and the stronger ones make my stomach turn for days afterward. I will drink it when I have my bean juice banned from me.

There is an exception. A good friend of mine has a green house that she grows Hibiscus year round in. After it has been dried, and steeped...Oh God, I love it. No additives. I steep it for a bit, then cool and put over ice. That is my summer drink. Have it hot during the winter. I love that stuff.

Not really tea, but just the Dried Hibiscus flower steeped...mmmmm

I think tea is something of an acquired taste. The first few times I drank it it did nothing for me, but I kept at it until I could fully appreciate the beauty of tea. Especially with things like Irish breakfast tea, it will make you sick the first few times you drink it. There's something in there you have to build up a resistance to. But past that, it's marvelous.

I acquired some money for my birthday, and I immediately ran out to the store to procure a tea pot. I also got a quarter pound of loose-leaf Earl Grey with Bergamot. I've been in heaven ever since. 9 cups a day? I think so. Sleep is for the weak.
Let's see what else I have:
loose leaf Earl Grey (unfortunately, this is the extent of my loose leaf collection. For now.)
Earl Grey with lavender
Irish Breakfast Tea (7 boxes or so)
Pomegranate Blueberry White Tea
Mandarin Orange
plain green tea
Sweet and Spicy herbal tea (not proper tea, but still excellent)
I also have a container of some Indian tea at home. It's splendid, but I'm blanking on the name at the moment.

What do you all like the most for your ice teas? I made an excellent ice tea with some Lady Grey, that's probably my favourite for now. I'm starting to worry. As the weather turns hot, I won't be able to drink my hot teas and I'll have to improve my ice tea making skills.

Vella_Malachite
2011-04-09, 09:30 PM
Of course tea is good for the soul! :smallbiggrin:

I drink mainly either Lipton Black, with milk, no sugar, or this absolutely gorgeous Rooibos red tea I got at a market last year (need to order more of that...). Otherwise, I very much enjoy many types of green tea, orange pekoe, Arctic Fire and Russian Caravan.

I'll try anything once, though.

Kneenibble
2011-04-10, 12:27 AM
It's always good to have a sensible tongue.

Went back to the aforementioned tea house. Tried some Tian Mu Long Zhu. It comes in the form of a bunch of cute little tea spheres that uncurl when you steep them, I think I might buy some.

What you describe is AKA Jasmine Dragon Tears, correct?
I agree -- cute and delicious.

Well, I still have my teapots, so don't feel too sorry for me. :smallbiggrin: Life goes on, and I'll have a garden again some day.
My prayers rise towards your having a beautiful garden soon, good lady. May it be so.

Symmys
2011-04-10, 07:56 AM
I've been attempting to develop a taste for tea for a while now. I've found that green tea is very refreshing, but I have yet to try any other types. Can those of you who've come to tea-drinking later in life recommend anything for me to start off with?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-10, 10:52 AM
Of course tea is good for the soul! :smallbiggrin:

I drink mainly either Lipton Black, with milk, no sugar, or this absolutely gorgeous Rooibos red tea I got at a market last year (need to order more of that...). Otherwise, I very much enjoy many types of green tea, orange pekoe, Arctic Fire and Russian Caravan.

I'll try anything once, though.
You appear to be my soul-mate.

I've been attempting to develop a taste for tea for a while now. I've found that green tea is very refreshing, but I have yet to try any other types. Can those of you who've come to tea-drinking later in life reccomend anything for me to start off with?
Try drinking lightly steeped earl-grey or plain black tea and experiment by adding different thinks until you make something you like. Once you have that covered, you can try steeping it more heavily or branching off into other kinds of tea.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-10, 04:06 PM
Especially with things like Irish breakfast tea, it will make you sick the first few times you drink it.

That line is the same one that people use to get people to do heroine.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-10, 04:21 PM

Which heroine? :smallamused:

Gaelbert
2011-04-10, 04:43 PM

As well as coffee, milk, and peanuts. Doesn't mean they're inherently bad. The reason why heroin usage is discouraged isn't because it makes you sick the first few times. It's because of the addiction and physical dependence.
Ironically, caffeine is the most highly used addictive substance, but it's not quite as bad as heroin.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-10, 08:00 PM
Which heroine? :smallamused:

Wonder Woman.

Vella_Malachite
2011-04-12, 04:39 AM
You appear to be my soul-mate.

And an honour it is, my friend! :smallbiggrin:

Mmm, I shouldn't bring so many teabags to my uni library...I think I drank about five cups of delicious tea in four hours...

I maintain that it helps with the work, though. I will maintain it until my dying day.

Borgh
2011-04-12, 05:55 AM
I think I drank about five cups of delicious tea in four hours...

wait, that is a lot? :smalleek:

I sometimes go thoughabout two liters in that time, although near the end I usually go for the less caffinated varieties as otherwise I get the shakes.

One type in particular (Lipton Gold Tea) seems to be quite powerfull in that regard. Delicious but dangerous.

Partysan
2011-04-12, 07:57 AM
Tea is lovely. I've yet to encounter a form of it I didn't like, although I have my preferences.
Same to the way of drinking it. I have drunk black tea with milk, sugar (in several ways), both, lemon, cream and rock candy (that was earl grey) and, of course, pure.
Green tea I only drink pure, though. Anything that goes well in it? Regardless, while I believe this to be a placebo effect rearing from my exposure to east asian stereotypes I find green tee to be relaxing and focusing. Odd, given that I've more than once spent nights awake due to drinking two pots of it in the evening.

Since my father is Persian I have been introduced to black tea at a rather young age. We have our home mixture, consisting of Darjeeling first and second harvest, big leaved Ceylon and Blue Hour. Now that I'm slightly more grown up I've discovered the pleasures of the Samowar, but they're freakinglishly expensive.

And how come no one has mentioned Borage? Makes a great "tea" as well. Particularly with a bit of valerian and possibly lemon.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-13, 02:32 PM
I'm house-sitting right now and the usual residents of the house have a collection of tea to rival mine. I'm in figurative heaven. :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2011-04-13, 03:13 PM
Share the hoarde, compadre -- what have they?

Aiani
2011-04-14, 12:50 AM
I love tea. I've been starting to really appreciate it recently. I just can't drink coffee because it makes me feel sick but tea doesn't bother me that way and I prefer the taste of tea anyway. I have to have it loose leaf and I have to heat the water in a kettle. Does anyone know why heating water in the microwave makes it taste so bad?
Anyway, at home I've got some Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Mate, Chai Rooibos and this herbal tea that has chile powder and chocolate in it. That last one has an interesting flavor. I've ordered a couple of teas to bring with me to work as well. Mmm tea. I need to try some green tea. I mean I've tried green teas that were made with tea bags but I don't think that's giving it much of a fair chance.

Partysan
2011-04-14, 03:43 AM
By the way, can someone explain to me why there's a sort of tee called "chai" when chai doesn't mean anything but flat "tea"?

Lady Tialait
2011-04-14, 03:52 AM
By the way, can someone explain to me why there's a sort of tee called "chai" when chai doesn't mean anything but flat "tea"?

English is a brute of a language, and when the word 'Chai' is used by one who has the primary language of English, it means "Masala chai". The more you speak English, the more you will learn the bully nature of it.

TimeWizard
2011-04-14, 08:53 AM
I like the above post :)

I didn't like tea as a child (or coffee for that matter), but I got into coffee in college and I got into Green Tea while living in Japan- you can't avoid ocha (green tea) or macha (powedered green tea, thick and bitter) so it's best to just go with it.

Although i never got into kurocha- black tea, usually served as ice tea. Blehhh

Nix Nihila
2011-04-14, 06:47 PM
What you describe is AKA Jasmine Dragon Tears, correct?
I agree -- cute and delicious.

I'm not sure, but they look exactly the same, so I'd assume so. Hmm.. I think I'm going to make myself some now.

CrimsonAngel
2011-04-14, 06:50 PM
Tea tastes nasty. :smallyuk:

Obrysii
2011-04-14, 06:53 PM
I just purchased my first loose-leaf green tea. I got a tea ball and so far I like it!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-14, 07:09 PM

I guess all you drink in Texas is beer mixed with coffee. Tea is a bit of an acquired taste, so you need to drink lots of it before you like it.

Nix Nihila
2011-04-14, 07:25 PM

Blasphemer! :smalltongue:

@^ I hate the phrase acquired taste, it sounds so snobbish, but this is somewhat true I will admit.

Aiani
2011-04-14, 10:33 PM
I guess all you drink in Texas is beer mixed with coffee. Tea is a bit of an acquired taste, so you need to drink lots of it before you like it.

Oh come on now. I live in Texas and I drink tea.:smalltongue: Also where on earth did you get the idea of beer mixed with coffee? That sounds disgusting.

I agree that tea is a bit of an aquired taste though because I never liked it when I was a kid. I think it's also a matter of finding the tea that you like since they don't all taste the same.

Lady Tialait
2011-04-14, 10:59 PM
I never liked the idea of doing anything that is an acquired taste, just so I can like it. The problems Tea gives me in the short run far outweighs any health benefits.

I have a weak esophagus from having a highly acidic stomach, my youth was full of constant acidic pain. I also have problems keeping iron in my system. Tea is acidic, so it irritates my throat, and sometimes causes me to vomit, and also Green and Black teas are known to sap the iron from your blood. So, whatever health benefits it can give me, Tea might make me choke to death on my own blood.

Plus....it tastes like what it is, boiled leaves. I don't even really like salads because they taste like leaves. I will stay with my acid that doesn't' make me vomit, Coffee. It tastes like bean juice! Yummy beans!

Mine you, there are less acidic tea, but it doesn't include tea leaves, so....I guess it doesn't count.

Gaelbert
2011-04-14, 11:13 PM

They drink tea in Texas, iced tea with buckets and buckets of sugar. If you're used to unsweetened tea and you order tea from a restaurant in the South, you will gag. Guaranteed.

Nix Nihila
2011-04-14, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I don't really ever eat or drink anything just to acquire a taste for it either. I've pretty much always loved tea though, except when I was 4 and 5, and then I only really knew of poor quality tea. Coffee on the other hand.. Coffee is foul and gross, and often makes me feel nauseous when I smell it, which sucks since it seems like everyone likes to have coffee in the morning.

But yeah, if you have tea with a meal, I believe it impairs your ability to absorb iron. I'm almost positive that goes for coffee as well though.

Pretty much any high quality tea does not taste like boiled leaves (in my opinion), and I would recommend some to you, Lady Tialait, but I don't want you to choke on your own blood.

Kneenibble
2011-04-14, 11:42 PM
I just purchased my first loose-leaf green tea. I got a tea ball and so far I like it!

You've taken the first steps on a wonderful journey, my friend.

Obrysii
2011-04-15, 02:00 PM
You've taken the first steps on a wonderful journey, my friend.

Any suggestions on amount to use and/or brands? The only loose-leaf brand I can find is Camerons, and they're in containers like coffee - aka you pour it into bags and pay for the bag + weight.

Gaelbert
2011-04-16, 12:42 AM
So I've got a fair amount of cash burning a hole in my pocket and my tea supply is running low. I'm planning on visiting a tea store over the weekend. What should I buy? Here's what I have already:
Mug (duh)
Porcelain teapot
loose leaf Earl Grey
assorted teabags

And here's what I'm thinking of buying:
Loose leaf tea. What kind? You tell me.
It's getting towards summer, so I imagine I'll be making ice tea soon. I've never made proper ice tea, would I need anymore equipment than normal tea? If so, what would you recommend?

I've never met a tea I didn't like, so I'm up for anything.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-04-16, 09:16 AM
So I've got a fair amount of cash burning a hole in my pocket and my tea supply is running low. I'm planning on visiting a tea store over the weekend. What should I buy? Here's what I have already:
Mug (duh)
Porcelain teapot
loose leaf Earl Grey
assorted teabags

And here's what I'm thinking of buying:
Loose leaf tea. What kind? You tell me.
It's getting towards summer, so I imagine I'll be making ice tea soon. I've never made proper ice tea, would I need anymore equipment than normal tea? If so, what would you recommend?

I've never met a tea I didn't like, so I'm up for anything.

Get Green Tea, Lemon Zinger (from the Celestial Seasonings brand), and Irish Breakfast tea if you happen to be running out of Earl Grey.

Kneenibble
2011-04-16, 12:13 PM
Any suggestions on amount to use and/or brands? The only loose-leaf brand I can find is Camerons, and they're in containers like coffee - aka you pour it into bags and pay for the bag + weight.

Actually to be honest I find tea balls cramp the expansion of the leaves, and they don't steep properly. You can buy little 2-cup teapots that have a mesh basket that sits right inside that steep beautifully. That would be my first recommendation.

Is there a tea shop near you that sells the leaves bulk? I have no idea about brands, I buy by type, "gimme a 1/2 lb. of that Mim darjeeling" kinda thing.

The amount is generally 1 slightly heaping teaspoon per cup, but there are some teas that you will want more, or less.

Gaelbert
2011-04-16, 10:32 PM
Get Green Tea, Lemon Zinger (from the Celestial Seasonings brand), and Irish Breakfast tea if you happen to be running out of Earl Grey.

That reminds me. Has anyone here had the Celestial Seasonings Sweet and Spicy herbal tea? That stuff is amazing. Absolutely no sweetener of any variety needed, and I find it the perfect way to introduce people to tea. It's sweet, full-bodied, and cinnamon-y.

Nerocite
2011-04-17, 07:43 PM
That reminds me. Has anyone here had the Celestial Seasonings Sweet and Spicy herbal tea? That stuff is amazing. Absolutely no sweetener of any variety needed, and I find it the perfect way to introduce people to tea. It's sweet, full-bodied, and cinnamon-y.

One of my favorites. I recommend it to anyone that hasn't tried it.