PDA

View Full Version : So is Roy off the hook?

Callista
2011-03-23, 08:02 PM
This Champion he's supposed to fight sounds like the kind of person you could kill without worrying about whether you were killing an innocent--i.e., evil and murderously evil at that.

The arena does force people to fight; so the fact that he's the champion doesn't say much. It doesn't even say much that he's killed the opponents they sent up against him--that could be forced for a neutral person or even done by mutual agreement among the gladiators. But the fact that he enjoys killing seems to imply that this is someone who Roy would not feel bad about killing--because, like Belkar, once he gets out of the arena, he's not going to be relieved because he no longer has to kill; he'll just be annoyed because he'll no longer be provided easy victims to play with.

NegativeFifteen
2011-03-23, 08:19 PM
The question actually lies in whether Roy COULD kill him. The guards talked like this guy is going to beat Roy down easily.

Conuly
2011-03-23, 08:29 PM
The question actually lies in whether Roy COULD kill him. The guards talked like this guy is going to beat Roy down easily.

Well, yeah, but what did you expect? Where would be the fun in telling him it'll be an easy win when it WILL be an easy win?

NegativeFifteen
2011-03-23, 08:41 PM
Well, yeah, but what did you expect? Where would be the fun in telling him it'll be an easy win when it WILL be an easy win?

I'm genuinely wondering: Are you implying that the champion will be an easy match for Roy?

JSSheridan
2011-03-23, 09:02 PM
Not totally. Don't start the fight, just finish them, and "The Champ" sounds pretty aggressive. So Mr. Flopsy will be justified in using lethal force to defend himself, but should the Champ winds up incapacitated, Mr. F won't finish him off. And that's where things get interesting.

Tarquin would order Mr. F to give a killing blow out of spite from 753, and as we saw in 783, gladiators do what their told, or they die. But would Mr. F give in, or would the OotS let their leader die?

theNater
2011-03-23, 09:06 PM
But the fact that he enjoys killing...
Where do we learn that the champion enjoys killing? I seem to have missed that part.

Callista
2011-03-23, 09:15 PM
We don't; it's heavily implied, though. He's in solitary confinement and will kill things by ripping their heads off... so yeah, I'm making that assumption. I mean, it could be an incorrect assumption, but it's a pretty safe bet right now.

Xacal
2011-03-23, 09:25 PM
Keep in mind, power is probably relative. This champion could be level ten or something, and level 5 guards could be in awe of him.:smallamused:
Never know, right?

Conuly
2011-03-23, 09:26 PM
I'm genuinely wondering: Are you implying that the champion will be an easy match for Roy?

Well, it strikes me as unlikely.

But what if he IS? And the guards know it? Wouldn't it be more fun for them to LIE to Roy than to tell him the truth? Why is it people insist on taking character's words at face value? I'm not taking a stand on The Champ, but on the fact that a previous commenter went "Well, the guards said...." as though the guards can be trusted!

Gift Jeraff
2011-03-23, 09:37 PM
Why is it people insist on taking character's words at face value? I'm not taking a stand on The Champ, but on the fact that a previous commenter went "Well, the guards said...." as though the guards can be trusted!Because it's generally lame when that happens, since it means the audience was deceived. Now that would be fine if it's a big build-up to a punchline by making the fight end anti-climactically, but that just happened. 3 strips ago.

Velaryon
2011-03-23, 11:28 PM
I don't consider the guards a reliable source on this. I mean, they're probably telling the truth about the exploits of this Champion, whoever or whatever he is. But the guards don't know what level Roy is. The only way they have to gauge Roy's strength is what they might have seen him do on the practice field. And sure, he beat down Belkar pretty handily, but how much does that actually tell them?

It's a serious possibility that what seems like an epic, awesome champion to the guards is someone closer to, for example, Hinjo's level than Roy's. Or maybe they're right, and the Champion really is strong enough to tear Roy a new one. We just don't know yet.

Morquard
2011-03-24, 12:09 AM
Well Roy obviously will either win or get saved last minute, because I highly doubt we get to see ANOTHER "Roy in heaven" plot.

So either the champ is a whimp, or "just strong enough to actually challange him" or absolutely awesome but Elan intervenes somehow.
However we've seen how that ended the last time he tried that, and we've had the total whimp already too, so I guess it will be an interesting fight.

Or the Giant will surprise us all with a completely new twist. Actually thinking about it, that's where I'll put my money.

Blisstake
2011-03-24, 12:14 AM
Keep in mind, power is probably relative. This champion could be level ten or something, and level 5 guards could be in awe of him.:smallamused:
Never know, right?

Killing a stone giant with PC class levels isn't particularly relative.

elliott20
2011-03-24, 12:22 AM
something tells me it will rival the duel between Miko and Hinjo, though, not as emotionally satisfying.

Don Blake
2011-03-24, 12:24 AM
Well, hold on. A stone giant at its base level is what, CR 8? So generally considered to be an even fight for a party of level eight adventurers. This one apparently had at least two levels (guards say levels) in some Player Class, which would put it at at least CR 10, I think. What level could you expect a single character to beat a CR 10 encounter at?

Xacal
2011-03-24, 12:32 AM
Killing a stone giant with PC class levels isn't particularly relative.

Well, I don't think the comic specified how many class levels the giant had, did it? I think a stone giant is something like CR 11, though, so you have a point, Blisstake. (Though it could be a CR 8, like Don said- Are there multiple types of Stone Giants? :smallconfused:)
Anyways, if we do get to see the fight, which we probably will (why else would Rich bother to write a champion in?) Roy will probably find a way to defeat it. My bet, it'll be a Roy-does-something-badass moment. :smallsmile:

Edit:
Well, hold on. A stone giant at its base level is what, CR 8? So generally considered to be an even fight for a party of level eight adventurers. This one apparently had at least two levels (guards say levels) in some Player Class, which would put it at at least CR 10, I think. What level could you expect a single character to beat a CR 10 encounter at?

I think CR indicates the average level that a party of 4 or so adventurers would have to be to defeat it. However, it could vary. CR 10 equals level... 11? 12+ maybe?

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-24, 12:37 AM

Easily?

Something at Roy's level (13-15) might well be able to hand that giant its ass in a straight fight. And we've seen that Roy is able to take out higher level opponents (Belkar, for one).

Flickerdart
2011-03-24, 12:39 AM
Quite frankly, if the Champion can be held so securely that they can release him into the arena and then get him back in, then he can't exceed a certain level of power. Roy could have probably escaped if he didn't think Elan would get him out, so the Champion can't be very far out of his league, if at all.

Xacal
2011-03-24, 12:43 AM

Ack, you were right, Stone Giants are CR 8, elders are CR 9. (Must've been thinking of cloud giant, I guess)

Hmmmm.... 27 base STR for Stone Giant. This Champion must be pretty good.

Snails
2011-03-24, 12:49 AM

Short answer: Level 10 would be a fair fight, which is why most DMs would avoid such scenarios until the PC were level 11 or higher.

A party of 4 balanced level 8 adventurers is expected to be able to beat four individual CR 8 creatures over the course of a day, without really being in any significant danger, barring flukes and extremely poor tactical choices.

A fair fight would be one level 8 PC alone against one Stone Giant (CR 8). Some PCs would prevail. Some would not.

A Stone Giant with PC class levels could be as low as CR 10. Obviously he could be higher.

Roy and friends are surely higher than level 12 at this point. So there is nothing obviously crazy about Roy defeating someone such a Stone Giant, or even someone who could defeat such a giant. We can make the reasonable guess that the coming fight will probably be close to fair.

I am expecting our green orc friend with alignment Happy Evil to reappear.

Xacal
2011-03-24, 01:04 AM
I am expecting our green orc friend with alignment Happy Evil to reappear.

That'd be kinda cool. However, I dunno if Thog would go for such a vicious move like ripping someone's head off... Thog's more ignorant of his own strength than actively, brutally murdering things on his own occord.... other than absentmindedly killing the ocasional earth elf. :smallwink:

Phishfood
2011-03-24, 04:00 AM
Well Roy obviously will either win or get saved last minute, because I highly doubt we get to see ANOTHER "Roy in heaven" plot.

So either the champ is a whimp, or "just strong enough to actually challange him" or absolutely awesome but Elan intervenes somehow.
However we've seen how that ended the last time he tried that, and we've had the total whimp already too, so I guess it will be an interesting fight.

Or the Giant will surprise us all with a completely new twist. Actually thinking about it, that's where I'll put my money.

1) Win
2) Last minute save
or door #3
3) Dies and since durkon is on hand this time (not on a ship sailing away) raises roy immediately, sentence completed, free to go.

but yeah, completely new plot twist has my bet too.

Themrys
2011-03-24, 04:57 AM
Roy and friends are surely higher than level 12 at this point. So there is nothing obviously crazy about Roy defeating someone such a Stone Giant, or even someone who could defeat such a giant. We can make the reasonable guess that the coming fight will probably be close to fair.

It will be fair. Tarquin wants Roy to have a fair chance to win. After all, he wants Roy for his team, and that won't happen if Roy gets his head ripped off.

Niknokitueu
2011-03-24, 06:27 AM
My prediction? Either it becomes the battle of the year, or we will have a cut scene to Roy waking up with Durkon (and the remains of a large diamond) standing over him, and uttering the fateful words "Did we win?"

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Xacal
2011-03-24, 02:38 PM
It will be fair. Tarquin wants Roy to have a fair chance to win. After all, he wants Roy for his team, and that won't happen if Roy gets his head ripped off.

Well, Roy kind of rejected his advances :smallwink: didn't he? In comic #753.
Tarquin left Roy the option of mulling the deal over some more, but Tarquin can be decidely two-faced. He may have an agenda against Roy after the latter's refusal, however congenial his reaction.

EDIT: Actually, it's probably difficult to tell what Tarquin is really thinking at all. Period. :smalleek: The guy's just too crafty