PDA

View Full Version : Half-Blood Bloodline

Welknair
2011-03-23, 09:28 PM
I made this little bloodline series months ago, shortly after getting my copy of UA. It's a very morphic series, where you change the exact bonuses based upon the deific parent. This bloodline is made for characters who have at least one deific parent and is made to take the place of the Aasimar and Half-celestials which are far too generic in my opinion. Take note that this requires the usual levels to be sacrificed (12th for Minor; 12th and 6th for Intermediate; and 12th, 6th, and 3rd for Major.)

Half-Blood Bloodline
(Yeah, I know that sounds weird)
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/172/f/5/Destined_for_Valhalla_by_BAKART.jpg

Optional Rule: Children of Demigods may have only Minor Bloodlines. Children of Lesser Deities may have only minor or intermediate bloodlines. Children of Intermediate or Greater Deities may have any bloodline. Children of Half-Bloods may also have bloodlines, up to one lower than that of their parent. DMs may rule that children of Intermediate Deities may only have up to Intermediate bloodlines, if so desired. This will result in a "Big-3" type scenario, with the Greater Deities being the only ones capable of producing such powerful offspring. These rules can easily be tweaked the other way, such that any god can give birth to any strength bloodline. It's really a matter of DM preference. In Greek Mythology, having the strength of the god determine the strength of the bloodline makes sense. It may be different in your campaign. Similarly, the rules for passing on bloodlines may easily be changed up.

Level
Minor
Intermediate
Major1 Skill 1 +22 Skill 1 +2 Domain, DP=2, 1st3 Ability 1 +14 Skill 1 +2 Domain, DP=2, 1st Electricity Resistance 55 Divine Affinity +26 Ability 1 +1 DP=6, 2nd7 Skill 2 +28 Domain, DP=2, 1st Electricity Resistance 5 Cold Resistance 59 Ability 2 +110 Divine Affinity +2 Domain, DP=10, 3rd11 Divine Affinity +412 Ability 1 +1 DP=6, 2nd Acid Resistance 513 Skill 3 +214 Skill 2 +2 DP=14, 4th15 Ability 3 +116 Electricity Resistance 5 Cold Resistance 5 Natural Armor +117 Divine Affinity +618 Ability 2 +1 Domain, DP=18, 5th19 Skill 4 +220 Divine Affinity +2 Domain, DP=10, 3rd DR 5/Epic

Skills 1-4 +2: +2 bonus to a skill corresponding to your parent deity (Hephaestus=Craft, Athena=Knowledge, Zeus=Intimidate, etc.). Choose a different skill each time, using common sense. If you're taking a Major Bloodline, you may start getting bonuses in some skills that may not be immediately recognized as being tied to your deity. That's okay. Try to pick ones that fit when possible though.

Domain: Choose one of your god's domains. You gain the granted ability as a cleric of 1/4, 1/2, or 1X your level, depending on the bloodline strength and may cast a number of spells from this domain as a cleric of this level. You can cast a number of domain spells whose total level does not exceed your daily DP and which are of an appropriate level (As stated each time DP is increased). Saves are Charisma based. To cast one of these spells, you need a Cha of 10+Spell Level/2. 8 hours of rest regenerate DP. These spells are cast spontaneously. These spells do allow you to qualify for any prestige classes. You may choose a new domain each time "Domain" is listed in your bonuses for a given level. DP is shared among all domain spells. When you cast domain spells, your daily reserve goes down by a number equal to the level of the spell which you just cast. You may not cast a spell if you don't have enough DP remaining. And in case anyone is curious, DP=Divine Power.

The Sun Domain gives you normal Cleric turning 1/day instead of a Greater Turning. All Turnings from Domain Abilities are as if you were a Cleric of either 1/4, 1/2, or 1X your character level, depending upon your bloodline strength. If you have a domain which adds a skill to your skill list that is already there, instead you gain a +2 bonus to that skill.

Abilities 1-3 +1: Choose an ability that makes sense for your deity. (Artemis=Int, Aphrodite=Cha, Ares=Str, etc.). When in doubt, use their highest score from Deities and Demigods, if you have it and if said deity is featured there. Choose a different ability each time. DM gets final say, as always.

Divine Affinity: You gain this number as a bonus to all interaction checks made with deities, Half-gods, or the like (Intimidate, Bluff, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, etc.). You'll likely be needing this... Added bonus: You gain this bonus on interaction checks with devout worshipers of your parent, but they get a similar bonus on Knowledge (Religion) checks to recognize you as the child of their patron.

As far as bloodlines go, I think this a bit on the more powerful side. However, it does follow the usual pattern...

Thoughts, feedback, etc.?

unosarta
2011-03-23, 09:39 PM
Wow, this is pretty awesome. I love the idea of a sort of demi-god character, like the child of a god. Sounds fantastic.

As for power level; The skill makes sense, the Divine Affinity is situational, like the normal affinities, the domains are so-so strong. You can't really use the spells enough for it to be useful (and on that note, do you spend DP to cast a spell, or is it just representational?), and the ability score increases make sense.

Overall, I would say it is a little bit more powerful, mostly because as far as I can tell, it allows you to cast ninth level spells at higher levels from the domains. Also, you have a spelling error in Domains, with Charisma in the save section being called "Che". Viva la revolutíon!

I am not sure that that is very balanced. If you made it so that the character cannot cast above a certain level of spells (certainly not 9th), then it might be more balanced.

Welknair
2011-03-23, 09:46 PM
Hmm. Fixed those two. When you use spells, your DP for the day goes down accordingly. As for the 9th level spells... Well, you can only use two a day at max level, and by then you've sacrificed 3 levels to get that (That really isn't all that much though...). And the 9th level domain spells generally aren't that good (InB4Uberspell). But I could still slow the progression of spell level gain.

Also keep in mind that only the upper-level deities can even give rise to such a scion as to be capable of casting these.... And even then only those children that can survive to Near-Epic Level gain access to them... Hmm. Cue contemplation.

unosarta
2011-03-23, 10:06 PM
Hmm. Fixed those two. When you use spells, your DP for the day goes down accordingly. As for the 9th level spells... Well, you can only use two a day at max level, and by then you've sacrificed 3 levels to get that (That really isn't all that much though...). And the 9th level domain spells generally aren't that good (InB4Uberspell). But I could still slow the progression of spell level gain.

Also keep in mind that only the upper-level deities can even give rise to such a scion as to be capable of casting these.... And even then only those children that can survive to Near-Epic Level gain access to them... Hmm. Cue contemplation.

Good points. However, balanced against other bloodlines, these are pretty powerful, and considering the number of domains, versatile.

Welknair
2011-03-23, 10:56 PM
Hm. So would dropping the max spell level fix the problem? I realize that this is more powerful/versatile than other bloodlines. Almost to the point where it could be worth using for a character. And it's kind of made for Half-Blood campaigns, where all the PCs have various bloodlines. As such, I'm fine with it being a bit above-average, as long as it isn't ridiculous. I haven't looked at this in months. Maybe a year. I've learned a deal in that time. If I were to have made this now, I'd likely not have had the 9th level spell access, or at least had some mitigating factor to it.

Edit: Halved the rate of spell level progression. Still powerful and versatile, just not SUPER. Note that I kept the DP the same.

unosarta
2011-03-23, 11:39 PM
Hm. So would dropping the max spell level fix the problem? I realize that this is more powerful/versatile than other bloodlines. Almost to the point where it could be worth using for a character. And it's kind of made for Half-Blood campaigns, where all the PCs have various bloodlines. As such, I'm fine with it being a bit above-average, as long as it isn't ridiculous. I haven't looked at this in months. Maybe a year. I've learned a deal in that time. If I were to have made this now, I'd likely not have had the 9th level spell access, or at least had some mitigating factor to it.

Probably. I think the spells as they are are pretty powerful, even with a reduction to the spell level, but if that is taken into account, it isn't terribly powerful, I suppose, especially with a harsh limit on the number of times it is allowable.

Edit: Halved the rate of spell level progression. Still powerful and versatile, just not SUPER. Note that I kept the DP the same.

Oh, this looks much better.

Welknair
2011-03-24, 12:12 AM
:smallbiggrin:

I originally made this to support an NPC of mine. Ended up deciding against it, as I felt that the PCs would feel overshadowed by a Demigod, even if he was balanced. Said NPC is now not the child of a deity, but is instead a kid wizard. Perhaps you've seen me mention him around here a couple of times.

Speaking of which, now I need to get around to posting my "0-Level Progression" rules. They effectively allow for characters below first level. Made these... guess what... In support of that NPC. He started at Level 0.25. 1 Cantrip a day!

Sidenote: Why aren't Deities immune to Fire like they are to all the other energy types? Thought that was odd, as Fire is the type of energy that is most commonly protected against...

unosarta
2011-03-24, 12:42 AM
Probably because the designers forgot about it. They forget about everything.

Ashtagon
2011-03-24, 04:18 AM
Considering that a red/gold dragon can produce a major bloodline, and a demigod is generally far more powerful than a dragon, why are these bloodlines so restricted?

Welknair
2011-03-24, 08:51 AM
I was actually thinking about that last night. It's really a matter of DM preference. For Greek Mythology, that's how it works. I based this off various Greek Half-Bloods. But you can easily change/remove that restriction if so desired.

unosarta
2011-03-24, 11:46 AM
This bloodline could easily model a demi-god, lesser god, or half-god of any theme or style, or from any pantheon or setting (as long as those gods are... active, so to speak). Looking at it again, it is very, very versatile, character creation wise.

Veklim
2011-03-24, 01:54 PM
Versatile like a cleric, indeed. Gotta love domains!
I'd say it's just about on the mark. Bloodlines are all a little wishy washy when it comes to comparison of power levels, they differ dramatically depending on what character has them (of course!). This is no different, but it allows a very generic over-view of abilities, with the beauty of customisation. Bravo sir! 10/10 :smalltongue:

Welknair
2011-03-24, 02:44 PM
Probably because the designers forgot about it. They forget about everything.

Hmm. There's a Salient Divine Ability that gives gods immunity to Fire. That makes me think it was intentional... And yet Visage of the Deity does give Fire Resist... I wish they'd be more consistent.

And thank you, Veklim. :smallsmile:

One of the interesting things about this bloodline set is that it's so versatile. You can use these same three for literally any god. Though based on Greek Mythology, it does fit well with about anything. And another interesting point: I did almost nothing to make it. It's just the base pattern. The only real decision that I made was at what levels they would get which resistances, the +1 Armor, the DR, and how to work the Domains. Man, after going through all of this again, I feel like making a few Half-Gods.

Oh, had an interesting idea for something: Deity Rising rules. Outlining the process of how a god is created (Assuming that such a thing is supported in your campaign world, of course). My players are actually about to start trying to turn a Sentient Ring that they found (Jorath, the Ring of Awesome) into the new God of Magitech. Some matter of progression that moves you along till you reach a full Divine Rank 0 (and how to get form that to DR 1). Hm. Actually, this sounds a bit like my 0-Level Progression rules. How to get from A to B.

I think I may be needing a full Homebrewer's Signature soon...

Edit: Added rules for a couple of the Domain powers that needed a bit of adjusting (Greater Turning and the skills, mostly).

Veklim
2011-03-25, 08:05 AM
Oh, had an interesting idea for something: Deity Rising rules. Outlining the process of how a god is created (Assuming that such a thing is supported in your campaign world, of course).

My first ever campaign created a deity (Gleeb Wurp, a lesser god in Obad-Hai's garden) via an accident with an epic artifact (loooong story) and a huge number of followers. I decided to use the number of 'believers' as a direct correlation to the amount of power being amassed for the ascension. I also used a set of heroic deeds (a la the trials of Hercules) as a guideline to the character's fame, giving a certain number of notoriety points for each labour undertaken. Of course, the fact that he had leadership and a bard for a cohort helped no end, but the basic principle worked beautifully.

The accident created a spark of the divine in the character but there are many ways for a DM to create mechanics for that.
The number of believers determined the level of the godhood (minor, lesser, etc)
The notoriety earned by the labours determined how long it took to ascend (the higher the level of godhood, the more points that are required)
The moment the level dictated by the number of followers had been reached with notoriety points, the ascension could begin.

With your bloodline though, the system I used could do with a major overhaul, but those were the basic principles if it helps any?

Welknair
2011-03-25, 10:48 AM
Interesting. An additional question: What happens when the god you're making didn't exist before? What if you go about the same process, with worshipers and sacrifices and tasks (done by the High Priest or somesuch)? I currently don't have rules for how that would work. Most deities in D&D have 20 or so Outsider HD. Those need to be factored in somewhere.

Hm. One of the primary problems with this idea is the variation between people's settings. In mine I have a huge creation story that explains most everything. Among other things, there used to be only a single god: Ilé. After he spent a couple millennium making the universe, he went down to earth and shattered himself to give rise to life. However, large "Ilé Shards" were left over which turned into Proto-Deities. A few epochs later, the now fully-formed Deities realize that they can gain power through worshipers (When a mortal pledges fealty to a Deity, they lend their (Itsy-bitsy)shard to that deity). Cue Godswar as they fight for the favor or fear of the mortals. They eventually reach a stalemate, after really tearing the place up. At this time, there's an interesting mix of gods left. Some have true Ilé Shards, with a decent amount of worshipers. However, some of the survivors didn't exist prior to the Godswar and never obtained a Shard. Absolutely all of their power comes from their Worshipers, so if they were to turn from that god, he would cease to exist once more.

Hm. So I need to make a system for this that is flexible enough for most entry-methods to be accommodated for...

Veklim
2011-03-25, 12:09 PM
Interesting. An additional question: What happens when the god you're making didn't exist before? What if you go about the same process, with worshipers and sacrifices and tasks (done by the High Priest or somesuch)? I currently don't have rules for how that would work. Most deities in D&D have 20 or so Outsider HD. Those need to be factored in somewhere.

The Outsider HD start coming the moment ascension begins, for my campaign I only used 10, then jumped straight into godhood with the rest of the levels. If the god didn't exist before then you need to design them as they are going to be to figure out how they get there, divine destiny and all that.

The godshard principle of your setting is super-sweet, makes for a far easier time with followers and power calculation. I used the HD of each follower as the starting number you need to kickstart the process. You could adjust that to the number or power of the shards in each follower instead. The number you choose is arbitrary and always will be, it depends on the DM, setting, players, level, etc... I personally decided you need 100 HD of followers plus 100 more per Outsider HD already obtained, the moment you acheive that many you can perform the appropriate sacrifices/deeds/rituals needed to gain the next Outsider HD. For every Outsider HD you wish to obtain, you must gain at least half that level's xp in a righteous (or abominable, depending on alignment) deed or series of deeds. These deeds must be witnessed and chronicled by a number of followers equal to or greater than 5% of you total followers to count towards your xp target. This is easy at first, but gets significantly harder as the levels progress, hence only requiring 10 Outsider HD to ascend. I didn't have Deities and Demigods when I ran this campaign so this is all obsolete to a greater or lesser extent now :smallannoyed: