PDA

View Full Version : Level three Tarrasque kill?

Yeturs
2011-03-23, 10:58 PM
So, I have heard about that a third level Wizard can defeat the Tarrasque.

How does that work exactly? Or have I heard wrong?

Flickerdart
2011-03-23, 11:01 PM
Not a third level wizard, but a third level monster. The CR 3 Allip is incorporeal, and deals Wisdom drain. The Tarrasque cannot harm it and has no defense against its powers.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-23, 11:11 PM
And the Allip can be summoned by...Summon Undead IV I think. Which is on both the cleric spell list and the sorcerer/wizard list.

nhbdy
2011-03-23, 11:34 PM
And the Allip can be summoned by...Summon Undead IV I think. Which is on both the cleric spell list and the sorcerer/wizard list.

huh... never knew about that one (of course I had heard the whole fly and kill it slowly deal) this is probably the simplest way to kill one! kind of dissapointing though when you think about it, the monster that was intended to be the most challenging is easily trumped by a readily available summon.

Flickerdart
2011-03-23, 11:43 PM
The Tarrasque was not intended to be the most challenging - your basic Solar has a 3-point higher CR, and the Pit Fiend and Balor are the same CR. What the Tarrasque was intended to be was a big beatstick, back when designers though that big beatsticks could be challenging to fight at level 20.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-23, 11:45 PM
It's a Cleric that can 'defeat' the Tarrasque at level 3 specifically, with the right selection of feats/items to increase its effective rebuking level, and finding an Allip.

Yeturs
2011-03-24, 12:15 AM
Oh. Um. Ok.

Yeah, I misread the "immune to energy drain and ability damage" as also including ability drain.

Earlier today, I had a second level rogue using WBL to but a scroll of fly and a partially charged wand of summon undead IV with like, 10 charges.

I was able to beat it in initiative (we both had mod: +7) and I used the scroll. Flew away, and started summoning allips. However, the whole group I was with thought drain = damage.

So I lost by merit of not being able to win.

But unless I'm wrong, all I would need is wizard levels, a scroll of fly, and a few scrolls of summon undead IV right?

Then my 2 feats on improved initiative and something else.

Would that work?

If I'm right, I need to make a dc 6 caster level check to scroll of fly away, and I need a dc 8 caster level check to summon my allips, and at least 14 intelligence?

So, 18 dex and imp init is +8 initiative, vs the tarrasques +7. I think that's the builds weakness.

Does all my logic sound right?

Sacrieur
2011-03-24, 12:38 AM
You need a wish spell to really "kill" it.

Flickerdart
2011-03-24, 12:44 AM
Losing initiative to the Tarrasque doesn't matter, as long as you don't start right next to it. It moves too slowly to be a threat, and its senses are horrible for its level. Second level Halfling Rogue with 18 Dex is a +13 on Hide and +11 on Move Silently, meaning that you have even odds of not being detected at 60ft away. After that, cast the allips and watch the fireworks.

faceroll
2011-03-24, 12:46 AM
Losing initiative to the Tarrasque doesn't matter, as long as you don't start right next to it. It moves too slowly to be a threat, and its senses are horrible for its level. Second level Halfling Rogue with 18 Dex is a +13 on Hide and +11 on Move Silently, meaning that you have even odds of not being detected at 60ft away. After that, cast the allips and watch the fireworks.

60 foot fear aura. 2 rounds of Big T charging or attacking (which I imagine he does constantly, because it's Big T), and you are running away.

He is really slow, though. I never realized that.

Yeturs
2011-03-24, 12:52 AM
Ok. Idea. So a halfling wizard 1/rogue 1. Full ranks into hide and move silently. Maybe throw in a potion of reduce person for some extra hiding. I'm sure I can do some other cool stuff with my 900 gold.

As for really killing the damn thing.

Herm. Maybe a bit cheesy. But could I knock out the tarrasque and then call pazuzu to wish him dead for good? Seems simple. If I'm lawful good, he will want to grant my wish even more, right? I think?

What book is he in, and what's the knowladge dc to learn his name?

Right? Maybe?

faceroll
2011-03-24, 01:01 AM
If you really want to hide, be a kobold with the web enhancement for races of the dragon on the wizard's website. This gives you slight build. Use reduce person. You now count as a diminuitive creature for hiding. You don't really need a level of rogue.

Be a 3rd level wizard. Make sure you have as many cantrips as you can possibly find, from every splat book. Each cantrip is worth 50gp, once you sell your spell book. Be a domain wizard, for extra spells known, and your first level feat should be the one that scores you extra spells known. Each spell known is worth 50*spell level gp (1 for the case of 0 level spells). Memorize whatever spells you'll think you need. Buy a x4 weapon, too.

This should get you the cash to buy a scroll of summon undead IV. Now make the caster level check. Bye bye Big T. Use x4 crit weapon and a strong friend to CdG very dead.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-24, 01:05 AM
You need a wish spell to really "kill" it.

Yes, but with all those cities built around the tarrasque, why would you want to? Ability drain doesn't regenerate, and the tarrasque lacks any special ability that says otherwise. It won't die, but creatures drained to 0 Wisdom by allips don't die, anyway. It will simply remain comatose indefinitely.

But anyway, with the tarrasque's size, and terrible senses for its level, it's not difficult to spot it coming a while away and prepare to not start the battle within charge distance.

Flickerdart
2011-03-24, 01:11 AM
60 foot fear aura. 2 rounds of Big T charging or attacking (which I imagine he does constantly, because it's Big T), and you are running away.

He does not do anything "constantly". With a speed of 20 feet, everything either runs away from him or is already dead - there's nothing for him to charge after or attack.

Sacrieur
2011-03-24, 01:17 AM
Yes, but with all those cities built around the tarrasque, why would you want to? Ability drain doesn't regenerate, and the tarrasque lacks any special ability that says otherwise. It won't die, but creatures drained to 0 Wisdom by allips don't die, anyway. It will simply remain comatose indefinitely.

But anyway, with the tarrasque's size, and terrible senses for its level, it's not difficult to spot it coming a while away and prepare to not start the battle within charge distance.

The Tarrasque is immune to energy drain.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-24, 01:18 AM
The Tarrasque is immune to energy drain.

That's irrelevant.... Allips inflict ability drain. They do not inflict energy drain. You have them confused with the spectre.

Sacrieur
2011-03-24, 01:23 AM
That's irrelevant.... Allips inflict ability drain. They do not inflict energy drain. You have them confused with the spectre.

Let's hope the Tarrasque doesn't kill you before that happens =P

faceroll
2011-03-24, 03:33 AM
He does not do anything "constantly". With a speed of 20 feet, everything either runs away from him or is already dead - there's nothing for him to charge after or attack.

Trees, rocks, rocks, trees....

Eldan
2011-03-24, 05:05 AM

Level of Paladin, then.

Firechanter
2011-03-24, 05:49 AM
TBH I also would interpret ability drain as ability damage in terms of Tarrasque immunities.

The Tarrasque isn't really difficult to bring down to -10HP, but to stop it from regenerating without a Wish or Miracle, you need to be more imaginative.
There used to be a cartload of imaginative spell applications in 3.0; virtually all of them were nerfed in 3.5, sometimes giving the impression the nerfing was done for the express purpose of nixing its utility as Tarrasque-Killer.

Also note that as per DMG p.38, killing the Tarrasque below 13th level is not even necessarily going to give you XP, because "something strange is going on".

Vulaas
2011-03-24, 10:08 AM
The problem is that all the Tarrasque is is a big pile of big numbers, which quite frankly isn't threatening. It can be "killed" by a mid level uber-charger if they know what they're doing.

Actually, that gets kinda fuzzy. What happens if you take the tarrasque down to -10 HP (not raising nonlethal that far, actual HP damage)?

NineThePuma
2011-03-24, 10:18 AM
It 'dies' and then it starts regenerating.

Better question: Does Big T have a clause that states what happens when I cut off its arm? Does the arm die or grow a new tarrasque?

((Also, there's a competition around here about PF Tarrasque going head to head with a level 20 Fighter... and consistently losing...))

Gullintanni
2011-03-24, 10:40 AM
TBH I also would interpret ability drain as ability damage in terms of Tarrasque immunities.

Ability Drain =/= Ability Damage. They are both distinct and different beasts. Confirmation of this can be easily found in the SRD:

1. From SRD:

"Ability Damage:
This attack damages an opponent’s ability score. The creature’s descriptive text gives the ability and the amount of damage. If an attack that causes ability damage scores a critical hit, it deals twice the indicated amount of damage (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice).

Points lost to ability damage return at the rate of 1 point per day (or double that if the character gets complete bed rest) to each damaged ability, and the spells lesser restoration and restoration offset ability damage as well.

Ability Drain:
This effect permanently reduces a living opponent’s ability score when the creature hits with a melee attack. The creature’s descriptive text gives the ability and the amount drained. If an attack that causes ability drain scores a critical hit, it drains twice the indicated amount (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice). Unless otherwise specified in the creature’s description, a draining creature gains 5 temporary hit points (10 on a critical hit) whenever it drains an ability score no matter how many points it drains. Temporary hit points gained in this fashion last for a maximum of 1 hour.

Points lost to ability drain, is permanent, though restoration can restore even those lost ability score points."

These two abilities functional mechanically differently, and therefore represent two different methods of ability reduction. Immunity to one, therefore, does not obviate immunity to the other.

Further evidence can be found in the undead creature subtype, specifically the following:

From SRD:
"Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects."

Undead are specifically listed as immune to ability drain, energy drain and ability damage insofar as their physical scores are concerned. If ability drain and ability damage were functionally identical, then immunity to ability drain would protect the undead in question from ability damage against all its ability scores. Given that this is not the case, and the above from the SRD, the only RAW conclusion is that the ability drain and damage are separate and distinct, therefore, the Tarrasque has a gaping void in its defenses that render it trivial for anyone who can control an Allip.

Any other interpretation would be a house rule.

true_shinken
2011-03-24, 10:49 AM
Any other interpretation would be a house rule.
And god forbid you form using those! :smallsigh:
Firechanter was just stating his possible houserule.

Firechanter
2011-03-24, 11:04 AM
Better question: Does Big T have a clause that states what happens when I cut off its arm? Does the arm die or grow a new tarrasque?

I think "there can be only one". As far as I can tell, if you shred the Tarrasque to a million tiny pieces of chunky salsa, one single (probably the biggest) bit would start regenerating into a new Tarrasque. And would take less than 3 minutes to do so.

NineThePuma
2011-03-24, 11:10 AM
Awwww....

*puts down a note to get Elder Evils and turn Big T into one*

Mojo_Rat
2011-03-24, 05:56 PM
The thing i always find odd about these threads is. ultimately the issue with the tarrasque isnt really the tarrasque. Its that players have copies or have read its monster manual entry.

I bet if you just re-named it as a Dm, Re described it and Decieed as a 'creature of myth and legend so far back in time no one knows its weaknesses'

Players would have alot more problems with it.

Boci
2011-03-24, 06:05 PM
The thing i always find odd about these threads is. ultimately the issue with the tarrasque isnt really the tarrasque. Its that players have copies or have read its monster manual entry.

I bet if you just re-named it as a Dm, Re described it and Decieed as a 'creature of myth and legend so far back in time no one knows its weaknesses'

Players would have alot more problems with it.

Unless you fluff it as having wings, they will notice one glaring weakness pretty soon.

And god forbid you form using those! :smallsigh:
Firechanter was just stating his possible houserule.

To be fair he said "interpret", which can imply you think there is some ambiguety.

Firechanter
2011-03-24, 06:09 PM
Well, seeing how so many monsters in D&D are completely binary, especially at higher levels the players need to have at least some idea of a creature's strengths and weaknesses.

Extreme example:
Suppose you invented a monster with the ability to deal some average damage and is only vulnerable by Pickles. It will wipe the floor with any party that does not know about its pickle weakness, but if you attack it with pickles it will roll over like a kitten. It all comes down to whether the players know about its weakness or not. TPK or walking over it without missing a beat.

That's the quintessence of what happens to players who don't at least know the basics of the Monster Manual(s).

--

P.S.: even if you killed the Tarrasque on level 3 and the DM would give you XP for it, you wouldn't get very much out of it since the rules say, iirc, that you can only advance one level at a time, and any excess XP out of a huge reward would simply be cut at 1 XP short of the next level. So even if you could, it would be a rather stupid thing to do before you get the most out of its XP pile.

Moriato
2011-03-24, 06:10 PM

Nah, it's only "shaken" which is -2 to attack rolls, ability checks and saves. No compulsion to run away.

Aspenor
2011-03-24, 06:50 PM
You don't need to actually kill the tarrasque. Just keep it at 0 wisdom and sell tarrasque steaks on the cheap to commoners. Infinite wealth, free food.

Firechanter
2011-03-24, 07:28 PM
The DM would probably rule that Tarrasque steak tastes icky, or keeps twitching even after frying it, making it gross to eat and causing severe indigestion. :smallbiggrin:

NineThePuma
2011-03-24, 07:34 PM
((Also, there's a competition around here about PF Tarrasque going head to head with a level 20 Fighter... and consistently losing...))

I am surprised. How has no one actually noticed this and thought it amusing?

true_shinken
2011-03-25, 06:26 AM
I am surprised. How has no one actually noticed this and thought it amusing?
Because it's old news.

Darrin
2011-03-25, 07:42 AM
A 3rd level cleric can take out a Tarrasque with a Blister Oil Bomb + Lasso + Sovereign Glue for...

Lasso, 1 GP
78 vials of Blister Oil, 1170 GP (Craft: Alchemy, 1/3rd cost = 390 GP)
Sovereign Glue, 2400 GP (Craft Wondrous Item, 1/3rd raw materials = 400 GP)

Total: 790 GP* if he crafts the supplies himself.

(* = 8400 GP for Candle of Invocation not included, but a scroll of lesser planar ally to call a Mirror Mephit would cost about 1200 GP + 400 GP payment, assuming your deity is aware the Mirror Mephit is the only outsider under 6HD that can permanently get rid of a Tarrasque, and the Mirror Mephit agrees to use its simulacrum SLA to create an Efreet.)

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 07:16 AM
Instead of just tossing around price tags, would you care to explain what you are going to DO with that stuff?

Darrin
2011-03-26, 07:43 AM
Instead of just tossing around price tags, would you care to explain what you are going to DO with that stuff?

Put on some gloves, then spread the Blister Oil on the lasso. Blister Oil is an alchemical substance from Races of Stone that does 1d4 untyped damage per application when it touches bare skin, Fort save DC 15 to avoid. There is no maximum or cap on the number of applications, and each vial (15 GP) contains 1d8 applications. 78 x 4.5 = 351 applications, 351d4 = 877.5 damage on average.

Throwing the lasso (Book of Exalted Deeds) is a ranged touch attack similar to a net, but with no size restriction. Big T has a touch AC of 5. The Sovereign Glue permanently attaches the oiled rope to Big T's skin. While Big T has an impressive +38 Fort save, wait 20ish rounds (via invisibility or what have you), and he will eventually roll a 1.

Read your scroll of lesser planar ally, and ask your deity to send a Mirror Mephit or something else capable of getting rid of a Tarrasque. When the Mirror Mephit shows up, ask him to create a simulacrum of an Efreet. As an SLA, there is no XP, no material cost, and the casting time is one standard action. Since this takes less than a minute, the cost should be 100 GP per HD, 4 HD = 400 GP. You could attempt to argue that you're not asking the Mirror Mephit to fight anything, so it should only cost 200 GP, but there are very few entities in the multiverse that would ever consider "getting rid of a Tarrasque" as a "nonhazardous task". However, conducting the negotiation right next to a Tarrasque while it's regenerating could have a significant effect on your bargaining position.

The simulacrum Efreet has only half his normal HD, but his SLAs/wishes aren't dependent on HD. Assuming you were able to instruct the Mirror Mephit to tell the Efreet to follow your instructions as if you were its creator, you can use your first wish to kill the Tarrasque permanently, and you have two wishes leftover to do with whatever you like.

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 08:26 AM
Put on some gloves, then spread the Blister Oil on the lasso. Blister Oil is an alchemical substance from Races of Stone that does 1d4 untyped damage per application when it touches bare skin, Fort save DC 15 to avoid. There is no maximum or cap on the number of applications, and each vial (15 GP) contains 1d8 applications. 78 x 4.5 = 351 applications, 351d4 = 877.5 damage on average.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand how that's supposed to work. I read "1d4 untyped damage per application when it touches bare skin, Fort save DC 15 to avoid". First off, I have my doubts that the carapace of a Tarrasque counts as "bare skin" so it's probably not going to do anything.
But even giving that, okay, so he has to roll 350 Fort saves, of which he will statistically fail about 18. So he takes 18d4 damage, so what? That's just about one round's worth of regeneration.

You seem to assume that a single failed Fort save makes him take all the damage from _all_ attacks. Unless there's some special rule about Blister Oil that you haven't posted, that's not the case.

HalfDragonCube
2011-03-26, 10:37 AM
The wording is strange in the description in races of stone. Fort save dc 15 or take 1d4 points of damage per application.

The idea was first posted in the shax's indispensable haversack thread, which was very good.

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 11:02 AM
Aha, so you would want to read it as [Fort save dc 15 or take (1d4 points of damage per application)]. Whereas it is quite obviously intended to be read [(Fort save dc 15 or take 1d4 points of damage) per application].
I am not particularly fond of this kind of rules-lawyering.

If you want to have the first reading, the target would also only have to make a single Fort save. You can't just change the conditions in mid-sentence as you feel it would best benefit you.

NineThePuma
2011-03-26, 11:13 AM
Aha, so you would want to read it as [Fort save dc 15 or take (1d4 points of damage per application)]. Whereas it is quite obviously intended to be read [(Fort save dc 15 or take 1d4 points of damage) per application].
I am not particularly fond of this kind of rules-lawyering.

If you want to have the first reading, the target would also only have to make a single Fort save. You can't just change the conditions in mid-sentence as you feel it would best benefit you.

Dude, he intended for him to sit there making saves forever. His loop THEORETICALLY works, but is not perfect and most DMs would shoot him for it.

graeylin
2011-03-26, 11:32 AM
Why the lasso? Why not just a rope, since a lasso with glue on it won't be a lasso, just a rope with a glued loop stuck in one permanent place.

toss the oil bottles with glue on them onto the Big T, and let his motion crush the bottles and release the oil, like a primitive DND Mill's bomb?

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 11:48 AM
BTW, wouldn't that measly d4 get stuck in the Tarry's DR anyway, even if it did work out with the saves and everything?

NineThePuma
2011-03-26, 11:48 AM
Untyped damage bypasses DR, IIRC.

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 11:49 AM
I'm not quite sure, that's why I'm asking -- I thought only Energies bypass DR.

NineThePuma
2011-03-26, 11:50 AM
It's the same type of damage as default eldritch blast, which bypasses.

AmberVael
2011-03-26, 11:53 AM
It's the same type of damage as default eldritch blast, which bypasses.

That may be a different scenario entirely though. Spells-like abilities bypass DR automatically due to a clause in the DR description. It's not really about damage type there.

erikun
2011-03-26, 12:00 PM
Two things to note:

First, I'm reading that as one-use. Unless this Blister Oil specifically says it keeps working round after round, the Tarrasque would need to make one roll against each application and then not worry about it.

Second, regeneration would heal any amount of damage dealt within one round.

Teln
2011-03-26, 12:27 PM
The DM would probably rule that Tarrasque steak tastes icky, or keeps twitching even after frying it, making it gross to eat and causing severe indigestion. :smallbiggrin:

One thread I read suggested having prolonged consumption turn you into a troll, as a side effect of the Tarrasque meat trying to regenerate even after digestion.

Volthawk
2011-03-26, 02:02 PM
One thread I read suggested having prolonged consumption turn you into a troll, as a side effect of the Tarrasque meat trying to regenerate even after digestion.

That would be pretty cool; some would see it as an advantage, and try to capture the unconscious Tarrasque to feed their own people, so they become tougher and stronger.

Hmm, perhaps it would be a very gradual process, like aging, so older people of whatever place has the tarrasque don't get weaker as they age, as the troll strength counteracts aging, and the older you get, the more trollish. The young would be stronger and tougher than most, but still mostly normal, but as time goes on...Hmm, maybe a reversal in aging penalties/bonuses, as well as the other traits getting stronger over time...

tanderson11
2011-03-26, 02:31 PM
There are many possible interpretations of the ambiguous entry of blister oil:

When the oil touches bare skin, the victim must make a DC 15 Fortitude save to avoid painful red blisters that spring up on the affected area of skin, dealing 1d4 points of damage per application used.
(Emphasis mine)
To me, this clearly indicates that only one Fortitude save is allowed from the attack made.

In the first line of the SRD entry on damage reduction it says this:

A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks.
Later, however, it says this:

The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.
And it does not indicate that other attacks bypass the damage reduction.

The SRD entry also says touch attacks bypass damage reduction:

Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains.

We look back to the line in blister oil about the source of the damage:

painful red blisters that spring up on the affected area of skin, dealing 1d4 points of damage per application used
"Dealing . . . used" is clearly a participial phrase horribly out of place in the sentence. It implies that the skin is dealing the damage when looked at closely. It is clear to me that the designers intended the blisters to be dealing the damage, but the sentence structure doesn't support this.

It may not matter. It comes down to whether or not each set of blisters is affected separately by damage reduction (assuming the blisters are the source of the damage). If the skin is the source of the damage, I would rule that since there is only one source of damage, damage reduction is applied once.

Darrin
2011-03-26, 10:41 PM
The idea was first posted in the shax's indispensable haversack thread, which was very good.

As far as I know, Dark_Juggernaut came up with the idea originally (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168100).

Yes, I worded it badly. I wasn't quite sure how to describe it, went for brevity instead of quoting the text directly.

However, the actual text isn't all that much clearer, other than it's more obvious that there's only one Fort save, and the Xd4 damage is lumped together based on how many applications were applied.

And it does not indicate that other attacks bypass the damage reduction.

DR applies only to weapon damage. As the Rules Compendium states:

"A creature that has damage reduction (DR) ignores some of the hit point damage from weapons, natural weapons, and unarmed attacks."

Blister Oil is not weapon damage. It works more like a poison, which is mentioned in the Damage Reduction description:

"Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact."

In any case, whether or not DR applies isn't all that important, since the description in Races of Stone says (more or less) the damage is Xd4, X = number of applications. If DR does apply, just add more applications.

"Dealing . . . used" is clearly a participial phrase horribly out of place in the sentence. It implies that the skin is dealing the damage when looked at closely. It is clear to me that the designers intended the blisters to be dealing the damage, but the sentence structure doesn't support this.

It may not matter. It comes down to whether or not each set of blisters is affected separately by damage reduction (assuming the blisters are the source of the damage). If the skin is the source of the damage, I would rule that since there is only one source of damage, damage reduction is applied once.

"Blisters" is part of the fluff, and has no meaningful definition as far as system mechanics are concerned. The physiological effects of how a creature takes damage are abstracted as far as the rules are concerned. Whether a sword "cuts", lacerates muscle/tendons, breaks bones, etc., whether acid "burns" or a fireball causes 1st/2nd/3rd degree burns doesn't really matter, you can describe the effects of damage however you like. From a mechanical standpoint, the source of the damage is "Blister Oil", not the blisters it creates.

If you want to argue this doesn't work, then the most questionable area rules-wise is if the Blister Oil, once applied to the skin via rope + Sovereign Glue (or whatever application method you prefer), gets only one save or if the creature must continue to make saves as long as they are in contact with the oil.

Although it works very much like a contact poison, Blister Oil is never identified as a poison. Unlike poisoned weapons/objects, which "retains its venom until the weapon scores a hit or the object is touched" (SRD), the Blister Oil description states: "Once applied, it remains effective for 2d4 hours." Unfortunately, there's nothing in the text that mentions what happens if contact continues to last more than a round. But there's no mention that one touch or a successful Fort save ends its effectiveness. Whatever happens when you glue an object coated with Blister Oil to a creature basically boils down to a DM's call.

If the DM says one Fort save and that's it... it's still quite affordable to use 20 Blister Oil Lassos + 20 mercenaries and just keep attacking with the lassos until Big T fails a save.

Firechanter
2011-03-27, 04:01 AM
FWIW, the clause "dealing... used" is syntactically not as bad as presented, it does refer to the blisters and not to the skin. Hooray for commas.

However, the actual text isn't all that much clearer, other than it's more obvious that there's only one Fort save, and the Xd4 damage is lumped together based on how many applications were applied.

There you have it, it's only one Fort Save DC15, so almost certainly the Tarrasque will make its save and all that oil does nothing.

NineThePuma
2011-03-27, 06:33 AM
FWIW, the clause "dealing... used" is syntactically not as bad as presented, it does refer to the blisters and not to the skin. Hooray for commas.

There you have it, it's only one Fort Save DC15, so almost certainly the Tarrasque will make its save and all that oil does nothing.

Unless it rolls a one. In which case it fails and takes the crap ton of damage. Which was the foundation of his strategy.

Firechanter
2011-03-27, 06:43 AM
I got that, but the chance for that is exactly 5%. A strategy that relies on a 5% chance of success is fundamentally flawed and absolutely not viable.

NineThePuma
2011-03-27, 06:49 AM
True, but when it works...

Boci
2011-03-27, 11:25 AM
I got that, but the chance for that is exactly 5%. A strategy that relies on a 5% chance of success is fundamentally flawed and absolutely not viable.

That why so many vials are needed (78 were mentioned).

dgnslyr
2011-03-27, 12:07 PM

It relies on the fact that you can sit around all day without being in any danger (Invisibility) so you can safely wait for that 5% to happen. Or, y'know, just hire more mercenaries and throw more Blister Oil.

Firechanter
2011-03-27, 02:28 PM
That why so many vials are needed (78 were mentioned).

Aaaaas we established above, EITHER the Tarrasque makes only one save for all applied doses of oil, and on a failed save he will take the full damage, OR it rolls saves individually for each application, but then logically will only suffer d4 damage per failed save.
Having it roll for each application and wanting it to suffer for _all_ doses on a failed save is just out. That's entirely without precedence and simply does not happen.

2xMachina
2011-03-27, 02:49 PM
With it's 20' base speed, they can easily kite it with lasso's applied with those things. 20 rounds and it should roll a 1 and take a crap ton of damage.

EDIT: This ups the price considerably (by about 20 times, average) but by how WBL goes up with lvls... it's not very much more.

Boci
2011-03-27, 09:45 PM
Aaaaas we established above, EITHER the Tarrasque makes only one save for all applied doses of oil, and on a failed save he will take the full damage, OR it rolls saves individually for each application, but then logically will only suffer d4 damage per failed save.
Having it roll for each application and wanting it to suffer for _all_ doses on a failed save is just out. That's entirely without precedence and simply does not happen.

So repeat the process multiple times until it has taken enough damage, although I'll admit that will take more than 78 vials.