PDA

View Full Version : Help me create my character!

Lady Moreta
2011-03-23, 11:33 PM
Okay, so my character died in our last session - after conversation with the DM, he has said that he wants to bring her back (we've gone through the entire campaign with the same characters thus far and I know he wants to finish the campaign with the same characters still present), but he doesn't want it to be as easy as the last time we had PC deaths. So he suggested that I create a temporary character to use for a couple of sessions while we run a bring-Moreta's-PC-back-to-life side quest.

I've had a backup character in mind for this campaign for ages and have decided to bring her to life as my temporary fix. My problem is that I'm not great with character creation and I'm not sure what class/es are the best to suit the concept I have.

Concept spoilered below:
Bluntly put - she's a spy. The country where the whole game started used to be a big empire but various rebellions had killed the empress and well, you get the idea. The pcs first mission had been to take the only surviving child of the empress and get him the hell outta dodge. To aid them, spymaster 'Norrin' (not his real name) went with them. My character is Norrin's niece (daughter of his brother).

She trained at the same bardic school that my original PC was in, and they were actually very good friends. She's the only one who knows that my original character was raped and when said character went home to have her child, my character went with her. The xenophobic elves said she could stay only if she was under a variety of charm/dominate spells the entire time. She agreed, but as a result, she refuses to cast/learn that type of spell. After the kid was born, she was forced to take the child and leave it - somewhere. They then cast a modify memory of some variety and kicked her out (or we'll kill you) so she left... meaning she also doesn't know what sex the child was or where it is. She's a little pissed by that.

At one point, she started working for the usurper of the crown as an assassin. What she was really doing however, was going to the people she was meant to be killing, faking their deaths and getting them the hell outta dodge too. Eventually, they realised something was up, suspected her and set up a trap. But to give themselves cover, they used Lester's (npc paladin travelling with us) particular group of paladins/law enforcement to spring the trap, knowing that if she really was loyal to them she'd have no qualms about just killing them. If she wasn't, she'd try to minimise extraneous casualties. Whether Lester was actually involved in the capture/attempted capture or if he just heard about it or was there in 'judgement' when others brought her in I'm not sure, but he would recognise her most likely and cause some tension when she joins the group.

As a knee-jerk freaked out reaction to that, she gets away and bolts and ends up getting herself caught by the College of Elden (the current bad guys we're up against). After escaping (or being let go) she decides that she really doesn't like them and she'd like to do something about it. Finds out that 'The Celadians' (the name the populace has given our bunch) are out there doing stuff about them and goes to find them. Which explains her presence on the backwater continent, she went there deliberately - especially because she knows her old friend is there. Probably had assumed Lester had left them by now, so won't be expecting him there.

Classes... I had thought rogue/bard, but I'm not set in stone on that. It's mostly for the skill lists anyway. I planned on starting with levels of rogue for the skills and I didn't want to then swap classes and suddenly go 'oh yeah and all those class skills you had before - they ain't class skills no more!' On the other hand, I want her to have a pretty high intimdate modifier and that's not a bard skill. Which is stupid and which my DM has admitted in the past is stupid. I can probably convince him to just whack intimidate on the bard skill list if I ask nicely enough.

The more I think about it though, the more I think that she'd probably rely more on her roguey stuff than anything else. I thought bard because I wanted perform singing, but Peregrine thinks that's a sorcerer skill as well. I also liked the whole bardic music/knowledge thing and the whole travelling minstrel idea fits with the spy concept too.

DM also suggested looking at the Beguiler class and has said that he's happy to swap the Beguiler skill list for the bard list (since I wanted her to have ranks in Perform: sing and perform isn't a beguiler skill). However, I pointed out that thinks like Disable Device and Open Lock are gonna be fairly important for a spy (and they're not bard skills). He suggested taking ranks in rogue for those - to which I think, if I'm gonna swap the beguiler skills for the bard ones, then take ranks in rogue, I might as well flag the beguiler altogether and go with the original rogue/bard multiclass.

However, I'm no powergamer and I really have no idea of what to do with this character. If anyone has any ideas on how to stat her out - feats, classes anything, I'm all ears :smallsmile:

DM has said I can get away with pretty much anything as long as I have an understanding DM - and I'm married to mine, so yeah, he's pretty understanding :smalltongue:

gbprime
2011-03-24, 09:26 AM
Okay, so... spy. Desired skills are intimidate, perform, locks and traps, misc knowledge, and no doubt social skills are a plus.

First thought... Factotum (Dungeonscape)... Lots of skill points, all skills are class skills, gets trapfinding. You could ride this single class up all the way, or branch off into Chameleon (Races of Destiny) or Spymaster (Complete Adventurer). Chameleon is a more powerful choice but you'll be missing skill ranks after a while, while Spymaster is more flavorful and has everything you want except Perform. (Which you'd have 8 ranks of before you could qualify for the PrC anyway.)

Amphetryon
2011-03-24, 09:42 AM
Master of Masks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156876) is another option. The link is to the Iron Chef contest for it, which gives several build ideas. :smallsmile:

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-24, 10:15 AM
Gotta say factotum5/chameleon 10/spymaster5 is just uberspylicious.

Even base skills you'd get all your prereqs and get perform before using int points.

the clumsy bard
2011-03-24, 10:21 AM
You need at least 8 levels of Factotum if you are going chameleon for the lovely cunning surge... it is just too good to pass up, extra standard actions... yes please!

Lady Moreta
2011-03-24, 09:34 PM
Oooh options... oh dear, I don't cope well with options :smalleek::smalltongue:

First thing to do will be check with DM/husband whether we have the books. I don't want to use any class we don't have a book for. I know we've got Dungeonscape and Races of Destiny and I think Complete Adventurer might be floating around in pdf form somewhere, but I'll have to check.

I think I'll have to wait til I get home and discuss this with my husband and see what he thinks.

Thanks guys :smallsmile:

Parasyn
2011-03-27, 12:54 AM
consider making her a changeling if you go for the factotum build switch looks as you switch from a fighter to a wizard in between fights? sounds pretty awesome to me