PDA

View Full Version : Is there a human(oid) NPC library somewhere?

Privateer
2011-03-24, 12:07 AM
Google fails me on this.

What I'm looking for is some kind of a repository of pre-created NPCs of various levels, classes and roles to use in my cities. Of course, I generate the key characters myself, but I also want to be prepared when things don't go as planned during a session, s.t. I don't have to railroad the party. For instance, if they decided to take a ship and I didn't count on it, I still want the option to have a random pirate ship attack them en-route, even though I don't have any pirate mooks, leuitenants or captains statted out. I'd like to be able to quickly look up stats for ones of appropriate level for the party and thus create the encounter with NPC opponents on the fly.

I do keep a small repository of my own past creations to fall back on and use, and this worked fine while we were in tiny villages with few different kinds of people, but now that I got them in a city, there are too many possibilities for me to pre-generate them all.

So, anyone knows of anything similar, or has any good advice on how to always have NPC stats readily available no matter what your PCs decide to do in a city?

Milo v3
2011-03-24, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure DM Guide 2 and cityscape give tonnes of sample NPC's that are like thugs and other simple archetypes.

If I don't have the stats I don't worry. I wing it. Then write its stats once the session is over so I don't have to wing it next time.

MageofMystra
2011-03-24, 02:43 AM
DM Tools (http://www.dmtools.org/index.php?sort=cr) has a fairly big repository of statblocks. It also has some other stuff.
The only trouble is that they aren't all exactly that great (if you go up higher into the CRs, you'll get this at full blast--but it's better than no sheet at all.

Other than that, I think there are a lot of NPC generators online--I think DM Tools, once again, has a generator, but there's also Myth-Weavers and such. If you're really in a pinch, I also think most PrC and base class entries have one sample NPC.

Privateer
2011-03-24, 08:06 PM
Fantastic! DMTools repository is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2011-03-24, 08:33 PM
I like DM tools...you'll even find some of my (uncredited) work there - Skillful Fighter, Steadfast Dwarf, Ultra Heavy Warhorse and a couple of others. They had a web page glitch there a while back, and when they rebuilt, they lost all of the contributors names, apart from the guys who run the site. :smallfrown:

...another good source of NPCs is the Enworld thread that collected the stats of all the sample NPCs presented in 3.5 WotC books. Can't find a link right now.

Runestar
2011-03-25, 09:15 AM
http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
:smalltongue:

Thurbane
2011-03-25, 05:35 PM
This (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/175367-index-sample-npcs-please-help.html) is the Enworld thread I was talking about - it's only a brief description of each sample NPC, and not a stat block, so not really what the OP was looking for.