PDA

View Full Version : Weapon enhancements to deal extra damage

Elric VIII
2011-03-24, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking about some possible weapons for a TWF character. The idea area would be a weapon that has the ability to add extra damage dice.

I like the Vicious property, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to add on Vampiric so that it ends up being +3 bonus for +3d6 untyped damage (with the damage from the Vicious canceling out the life gain from Vampiric).

Aside from elemental damage and +X bonuses, what are some good things to add on?

faceroll
2011-03-24, 04:12 AM
Collision gets you +5 damage for a +2 cost. Good if you've got a cleric to put on GMW and are crit-fishing.

Keld Denar
2011-03-24, 04:29 AM
Wounding is pretty high for damage if you face things with a number of HD.

Say, a 16 HD character, every other hit would result in the loss of 16 HP. Thats 8 HP lost per hit, better than Colision for creatures with 10+ HD. Of cource, things that are immune to ability damage are immune to Wounding, and there are a fair number of those, but its still really strong.

Not to mention that even if you don't kill your foe in a single full attack, it sets up a nice save vs death combo with a friendly caster who likes targetting fort saves.

broli
2011-03-24, 10:51 AM
extra dice damage is not as powerfull as it looks...
its awsome to hit a fire elemental with ice burts, but the other 99% of the monsters are not going to get much damange

a +2 Wkeen and seeker weapon is alot more powerfull than the same money spent on extra damage.

if the campaing is undead heavy, ghost touch and unndead bane

Elric VIII
2011-03-24, 11:18 AM
Collision and Wounding are the kind of things I was looking for, thanks.

I'm putting together a Cleric/Monk (monks belt) that uses a quarterstaff, so I have access to GMW.

What is Seeker? or did you mean "Seeking?"

Amnestic
2011-03-24, 11:31 AM
Don't forget about Weapon Crystals (MIC) which can add some extra damage on top, even if it's just another 1d6 energy(Cold, fire etc.) damage.

Elric VIII
2011-03-24, 11:35 AM
Don't forget about Weapon Crystals (MIC) which can add some extra damage on top, even if it's just another 1d6 energy(Cold, fire etc.) damage.

Good point, and those will definately be cheaper than another +1. Do I have to apply one to each end? and Am I limited to 1/weapon or 1/head?

ericgrau
2011-03-24, 11:51 AM
Spell storing is usually worth it, especially for TWF. Some of the best spells to store are vampiric touch, inflict serious wounds (or cure vs undead), empowered magic missile or poison. It takes around 7 hits for a 1d6 damage enchantment to catch up, and the average combat is 5 rounds. Plus damage done in round 1 is much better than damage done in round 5.

Zaq
2011-03-24, 06:41 PM
Wounding is, in my mind, definitely where it's at. Know thy GM, though . . . if he or she loves undead or elementals or whatever, you'll be better off with something else. Still, CON damage is nasty.

Zaq
2011-03-24, 06:42 PM
Wounding is, in my mind, definitely where it's at. Know thy GM, though . . . if he or she loves undead or elementals or whatever, you'll be better off with something else. Still, CON damage is nasty.

Spell Storing is, I agree, also pretty nice. If you have SA, I like to put Wracking Touch (SpC) in a Spell Storing weapon. Fun times.

Amnestic
2011-03-24, 06:46 PM
Good point, and those will definately be cheaper than another +1. Do I have to apply one to each end? and Am I limited to 1/weapon or 1/head?

"Each item can hold a single augment crystal [...] Effectively, each eligible item has a single 'slot' that can be filled with an appropriate augment crystal." (MIC, pg. 221)

So assuming you're using a double-bladed weapon, you'd only need one crystal per weapon, but I believe the crystal would apply to all attacks with it. Does mean it's cheaper, but slightly less flexible. Were I the DM, I might rule a double-bladed weapon could hold two crystals, if only because one blade of fire and one blade of cold is awesome :smallcool: