PDA

View Full Version : A PF Pit Fiend in Eberron

Amiel
2011-03-24, 12:53 AM
There is an apparent dearth of higher-leveled entities within the confines of Eberron; shifting planar conjunctions and deliberate acts of warding have ensured that nefarious beings with vindictive or malefic designs on Eberron have being curtailed or imprisoned.

Eberron, however, has never seen the likes of a PF pit fiend (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/devil.html#devil-pit-fiend) before; there are the rakshashas and the hags, but compared to a PF pit fiend, they are but moths to a flame, fleeting evils that fail to live up to reputation.

What could a PF pit fiend do to Eberron?

Prime32
2011-03-24, 06:59 AM
There is an apparent dearth of higher-leveled entities within the confines of Eberron;Oalian is epic, as are the daelkyr roaming the Underdark and a number of dragons. Some members of the Inspired are implied to be epic. Erandis d'Vol and Jaela Daran also stand a chance of defeating it.

Plus, a bunch of factions keep artefact superweapons around for occasions like this. Maybe when he's attacking House Vadalis they open a bunker to reveal the tarrasque. :smalltongue: While that's keeping him occupied, an army of 3rd-level warforged paladins of the Silver Flame spam smiting magic missiles from wands.

sonofzeal
2011-03-24, 07:30 AM
Eberron has plenty of high level entities. It just doesn't have that many high level humanoids. Big difference.

AslanCross
2011-03-24, 07:37 AM
There actually was an advanced Pit Fiend in the Lords of Dust article in Dragon...337, if I'm not mistaken. Many of the Lords of Dust are not normal rakshasas---many of the statted depictions I've seen in both books and Dragon are either advanced or have class levels, as well as being of the stronger types of Rakshasa (Naztharune and Ak'Chazar).

EDIT: The Lords of Dust article is indeed from DR 337, and Korliac of the Gray Flame (who is a Lord of Dust despite not being a Rakshasa) is a 29-HD Pit Fiend whose fire abilities deal 50% profane damage, call for a will save or inflict Lesser Confusion, AND also automatically strike incorporeal creatures.

Alleran
2011-03-24, 08:15 AM
Oalian is epic, as are the daelkyr roaming the Underdark and a number of dragons. Some members of the Inspired are implied to be epic. Erandis d'Vol and Jaela Daran also stand a chance of defeating it.
Dragons I'll give you (though I think the highest I've seen is a CR 26 one). The others...

Jaela is useless outside of Flamekeep.
Oalian is 20th level in the ECS, as I recall, not epic.
Daelkyr have 20 HD and are CR 20.
Erandis is only a 16th level lich wizard. I'd probably give the edge to the Pit Fiend unless she had prep time.

There's still the Ascendant Councilors, though (25 HD). There's another cleric similar to Jaela, except evil, locked up in Dreadhold: Melysse Miron, an 11th level cleric who serves Sul Khatesh (the Lord of Dust locked up in the Silver Flame). When within Flamekeep, she becomes a 21st level cleric. Hello epic spellcasting. Other than that, there's Mordain the Fleshweaver (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20050725a), who is an 18th level wizard, and probably others as well that I'm forgetting. The Lords of Dust article had a whole pile of them, including the levels for the Lords of Dust themselves. I think one of the lowest level totals was 35-40. Sul Khatesh herself is a Wizard 36 / Archmage 4, plus all the not-quite-divine-rank benefits.

Huh. Now that I think about it, there actually are quite a few high-level characters in Eberron. It's like the snowball effect hit after the setting was first introduced, but I suppose that's to be expected.

EDIT: Well, there are high level characters and entities... they just aren't from Khorvaire, by and large.

Prime32
2011-03-24, 09:23 AM
Dragons I'll give you (though I think the highest I've seen is a CR 26 one). The others...

Jaela is useless outside of Flamekeep.
Oalian is 20th level in the ECS, as I recall, not epic.
Daelkyr have 20 HD and are CR 20.
Erandis is only a 16th level lich wizard. I'd probably give the edge to the Pit Fiend unless she had prep time.Oalian is epic since his base race is more powerful than LA +0. Lich and half-dragon templates make Vol CR 20 (thought it was higher).

There's another cleric similar to Jaela, except evil, locked up in Dreadhold: Melysse Miron, an 11th level cleric who serves Sul Khatesh (the Lord of Dust locked up in the Silver Flame). When within Flamekeep, she becomes a 21st level cleric. Hello epic spellcasting.I was going to mention her (and the rakshasa rajahs), but

There is an apparent dearth of higher-leveled entities within the confines of Eberron; shifting planar conjunctions and deliberate acts of warding have ensured that nefarious beings with vindictive or malefic designs on Eberron have being curtailed or imprisoned.

Huh. Now that I think about it, there actually are quite a few high-level characters in Eberron. It's like the snowball effect hit after the setting was first introduced, but I suppose that's to be expected.Epic things like the rajahs were established to exist, just not statted. Although it's not mentioned, the quori could easily include dream larvae (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#dreamLarva) in their number.

Alleran
2011-03-24, 09:43 AM
Oalian is epic since his base race is more powerful than LA +0. Lich and half-dragon templates make Vol CR 20 (thought it was higher).
Oalian is a tree. While his ECL may be epic depending on the adjustment for being a tree, his actual levels aren't, and I don't think he has access to epic feats or the like. Not that Druid 20 is anything to sneer at, but Oalian doesn't move around all that much.

Same goes for Vol. She has one template that doesn't really do much for her (half-dragon) and another that, while providing some nifty immunities, doesn't boost her actual spellcasting power and doesn't even push her CR past 20. So I'd still give the edge to the Pit Fiend.

Epic things like the rajahs were established to exist, just not statted.
Not quite. Sul Khatesh was statted out. Full-on Wizard 36 / Archmage 4 / Outsider 20, along with everything else. There are thirty Overlords (give or take, but the ones that were given a set of levels in the article (not counting their 20 Outsider HD):

Rak Tulkhesh: Fighter 15 / Blackguard 10 / Cleric 15
Eldrantulku: Rogue 15 / Sorcerer 15 / Mindbender 10
Tul Dreshka: Bard 20 / Wizard 10 / Loremaster 10
Katashka: Cleric 8 / Wizard 8 / True Necromancer 14

The Council of Ashtakala:

Durastoran Wyrmbreaker: male ak'chazar rakshasa Loremaster 5 / Fatespinner 5
Hektula: female rakshasa Wizard 10 / Loremaster 10 / Archmage 2
Kashtarhak: male rakshasa Sorcerer 10 / Archmage 4
Korliac: male pit fiend (29 HD, additional SLAs and some special properties to his fire-based powers)

Prime32
2011-03-24, 10:01 AM
Not quite. Sul Khatesh was statted out. Full-on Wizard 36 / Archmage 4 / Outsider 20, along with everything else. There are thirty Overlords (give or take, but the ones that were given a set of levels in the article (not counting their 20 Outsider HD):

Rak Tulkhesh: Fighter 15 / Blackguard 10 / Cleric 15
Eldrantulku: Rogue 15 / Sorcerer 15 / Mindbender 10
Tul Dreshka: Bard 20 / Wizard 10 / Loremaster 10
Katashka: Cleric 8 / Wizard 8 / True Necromancer 14

The Council of Ashtakala:

Durastoran Wyrmbreaker: male ak'chazar rakshasa Loremaster 5 / Fatespinner 5
Hektula: female rakshasa Wizard 10 / Loremaster 10 / Archmage 2
Kashtarhak: male rakshasa Sorcerer 10 / Archmage 4
Korliac: male pit fiend (29 HD, additional SLAs and some special properties to his fire-based powers)...you said when the setting was first introduced. Those weren't statted when the setting was introduced. :smallconfused:

Alleran
2011-03-24, 10:09 AM
...you said when the setting was first introduced. Those weren't statted when the setting was introduced. :smallconfused:
I also referred to the snowball effect of statting out high-level characters and entities, of which I would consider the Rajahs a part of.

Probably should have been clearer about that.

rypt
2011-03-24, 02:21 PM
Isn't Io'Lokar in Argonnessen just filled to the brim with epic level humanoids?