PDA

View Full Version : Dice bag weapon

Magic Myrmidon
2011-03-24, 01:22 AM
(This... might belong in homebrew? Well, maybe if the thread goes in a certain direction.)

I was messing around with the idea of a total nutcase of a character, who's whole schtick would be breaking the 4th wall (ala Deadpool).

Eventually I thought of the idea of using a never ending bag of dice as a weapon, throwing actual (magical) dice at enemies to do damage.

I was wondering if it happened to exist somehow, and if it doesn't, what the logistics would be. Would you roll a d6 to determine which dice was drawn (d3,d4,d6,d8,d12,d20 corresponding to higher and higher numbers) or some other method? Obviously, if a d20 was drawn, you roll a d20 and do that much damage, but a d3 would do just that.

How much would it be worth?

Of course, this would be a horribly random and unreliable weapon, but it could be fun.

Thoughts?

MerlinTheWizard
2011-03-24, 06:31 AM
It reminds me of a few similar artifacts, like the Deck of Many Things, or the Rogue's Dice from the Epic Magic Items.

My first thought was to have them do the same damage as sling bullets, and then have some sort of added effect depending on the die thrown. You would, of course, roll randomly to see which one was drawn from the bag. Perhaps each die is a separate weapon that has it's own unique effect which changes depending on the result of the roll? Having them simply do damage according to their dice size works too, but... well, like you said, it would be impractical as it would often do very little damage.

Also, does the bag run out? Or do the dice automatically refill? Just something to consider.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-24, 06:48 AM
Actually, this weapon would be quite powerful,especially if it follows the rules of thrown weapons, strength mod to damage. This will give a thrown weapon with a better, potentially much better, die code then any thrown weapon in the game, or at least in Core. Even a trident, with a pidling 10ft range increment, only does a d8 damage and Javelins do a d6 with a 30 ft range increment. The rolling low isn't as bad as how good rolling high, give the difference between the damage a d20, the high end, and a d3, the low end. What's more, if comparing to a javelin, you got better then 50 percent odds of getting a average or higher die code.

golem1972
2011-03-24, 10:12 AM
D3, D4, 3D6, D8, 2D10, D12, D20. Not counting D2, D30, or D100 for this.

Average damage is 4.75.

Enhance the bag as an endless quiver or gauntlets of endless javelins, then pay for enhancement bonuses. Give them all the same enhancement, or do them seperately since it's random which you get, but for a single cost. Add in the cost of whatever spells you are going to use for effects on the dice (as a continuous or use activated cost). I would just pay for the most expensive spell and call it good, otherwise this could get out of hand.

Possibly just add in the cost of a rod of wonder and build a table for each die.

Oh, and watch out for those Master Thrower builds. This could get out of hand when they start throwing handfuls of dice.

ericgrau
2011-03-24, 04:28 PM
I'd carry an actual dice bag and draw a random die every time it was used. The simplest way would be to roll that die for damage, but w/e else could work too. If you intend for the dice to be endless then put the die back into your bag when you're done.

some guy
2011-03-24, 04:47 PM
How come nobody has mentioned the the CATENATIVE DOOMSDAY DICE CASCADER (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/extras/ps000020.html) yet?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-03-24, 05:01 PM
I'd thought of a similar thing, a set of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d%, d12, and d20) where each had its own effect. All I could figure was that d4s could serve as caltrops and perhaps the d20 could have an effect on fate.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-24, 05:30 PM
I'd thought of a similar thing, a set of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, d%, d12, and d20) where each had its own effect. All I could figure was that d4s could serve as caltrops and perhaps the d20 could have an effect on fate.
d12 could give a temporary rage effect and d6 could do elemental damage of some sort, depending on colour of the dice, percentile dice could give you a minor rod of wonder like effect, random, but potentially beneficial, d10 could give you full BAB for a brief period of time.
d8, I am stumped though.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-03-24, 06:27 PM
Huh. Some good points in here. I'd never had experience with a thrower (not even as an observer) so I wasn't sure whether it would ever be practical. I was thinking that the bag would automatically refill, but maybe it wouldn't be infinite. Maybe something like 10/day or something.

Somewhat odd that thrown weapons like the javelin aren't too great for the most part, though.

begooler
2011-03-26, 10:08 AM
A really funny way to break the fourth wall would be to use the spell Cheat. (The game you are playing is Dungeons and Dragons...)

Be prepared to have a real dice bag thrown at you.

Xyk
2011-03-26, 01:57 PM
Uh...try to throw a d3. Go ahead, reach into your dice bag and grab a d3.

It's a two-dimensional shape.

Siosilvar
2011-03-26, 03:26 PM
Uh...try to throw a d3. Go ahead, reach into your dice bag and grab a d3.

It's a two-dimensional shape.

...no? A d3 is either a d6 labeled 1-3 twice, d6/2, or a triangular prism with rounded ends.