PDA

View Full Version : Just Killed The Tarrasque

DragonBaneDM
2011-03-24, 04:55 AM
My party's Level 17. It was by far the coolest fight we've had yet. It's 5:44 right now, so my speech gunna be a bit tad garbled. Will update once word forming becomes easier than calculus, and I'm a History Major...

BUT! It was awesome. We had a good deal of backup, but...it died, fast.

Our party consisted of:

Eladrin Lazer Cleric(Played by me for majority of fight)
Tiefling Paladin(Meta, if you guys know him from this forum)
Dragonborn Sorcer/Warlord
Minotaur Fighter(Wins MVP for this fight fo sho)
Half-Orc Ranger(Myself)
Human Artificer

Here was our backup:

A phalanx of Dragonborn that our Warlord had brought.
3 Lower Level Elite Dragonborn NPCs who we had fought and 'converted' a few levels ago
A collussus that was based off of Gruumsh. I'll explain that when my eyelids aren't made of lead. He was biggest...2nd biggest thing in the fighty-place

Anyway, our big power plays were Astral Condemnation, Wrath of the Gods, Unyielding Avalanche, and True Nemesis. If your DM likes Tarrasque(s), I reccomend these powers.

Our backup was mostly dead by...let's guesstimate Round 5? Majority of our damage came from Avalance and Nemesis.

My own character was admittably very ineffectual. I've come to the conclusion that Rangers are not good at fighting things they cannot hit. Oh well. Will fix that problem later. Not about me. About awesome fight.

It started chasing around the Cleric eventually, and after he died, it became clear we needed something desperate. We have an Astral Skiff, luckily. My Ranger climbs up inside of it, and after a few turns I break free of the Tarrasque's aura.

I hover over the thing, and let gravity work from there. Dead ship. Dead best-friend cleric. Yeah, our DM's a psychopath, but it was such a great session. Had to share.

EDIT: Ship dealt the last 56 points of damage, not like we dropped it on it past it just being bloodied. Nah. We grinded man. We grinded harder than those two creepy college guys who somehow kept coming back to your high school for prom.

Oh, and this looks like a huge brag right now, so to give us something to talk about, tell me about some of your guys's fights, preferrably using the Tarrasque, but if not, cool!

We all have those nights where we stay up till 4 playing, and then can't sleep because of how great the session was. Please share with me!

tcrudisi
2011-03-24, 07:40 AM
It started chasing around the Cleric eventually, and after he died, it became clear we needed something desperate. We have an Astral Skiff, luckily. My Ranger climbs up inside of it, and after a few turns I break free of the Tarrasque's aura.

I hover over the thing, and let gravity work from there. Dead ship. Dead best-friend cleric. Yeah, our DM's a psychopath, but it was such a great session. Had to share.

EDIT: Ship dealt the last 56 points of damage, not like we dropped it on it past it just being bloodied.

DragonBaneDM
Barbarian in the Playground

Shouldn't you have jumped off the boat before crashing it into the giant god-thing?

DragonBaneDM
2011-03-24, 08:27 AM
Good point sir! Got some coffee in me, going to start decoding the jibber jabber that was my OP.

I totally expected to die haha. Luckily, our ship was the Wayfinder, dunno if you know it from the Dragon Magazine. It had this Primal Spirit trapped inside. When I crashed the ship, it was pleased, and decided to save myself and the surviving party-members from the explosion as it's last act.

Gonna miss that thing, though...

Trog
2011-03-24, 12:16 PM
Heh! Awesome. Our party went up against it in a sort of side experiment just to see how we would fare. This was in 2nd Ed. My gnome druid got swallowed whole on the opening round before he even had time to react. I had the presence of mind to say that he reached into his pocket, pulled out a piece of fruit that he was never without and say:

"Oh hello Mr. Tarrasque! Would you like an apple?" :smallbiggrin:

*OMNOMNOM*

And that was pretty much that. :smalltongue:

randomhero00
2011-03-24, 12:24 PM
Let's see, my 3 biggest accomplishments where taking on the devourer's avatar. Killing the goddess of undeath while only divine rank 0, and taking out an dealing with an insanely powerful lich king (think WoW's level of power of the which king) pre-epic.

Lord Ascapelion
2011-03-24, 12:59 PM
That sounds absolutely ludicrous. The thing was 13 levels above you! Were you supposed to die? What was the backstory in your campaign that lead to this insanity?

(On a side note, I find the 4e Tarrasque kind of lame, just from looking at its stat block. Maybe they'll revise it one day?)

oblivion6
2011-03-24, 06:52 PM
That sounds absolutely ludicrous. The thing was 13 levels above you! Were you supposed to die? What was the backstory in your campaign that lead to this insanity?

(On a side note, I find the 4e Tarrasque kind of lame, just from looking at its stat block. Maybe they'll revise it one day?)

ya, i was thinking the same thing

DeltaEmil
2011-03-24, 06:58 PM
All monsters in the Monster Manual 1 are kinda lame damage-wise, and might have too many useless abilities.

If Wizards of the Coast would remake the Tarrasque today, it would deal a lot more damage and probably have some kind of sonic roar, or even spits radioactive primal fire or something like that (stopping all pretense that the Tarrasque isn't Godzilla).

DragonBaneDM
2011-03-25, 04:07 AM

Haha! Probably, I guess! We wanted a challenge, and it fit. Justicar had been broken, and it made sense that one of the pieces was lodged in the beastie, keeping him asleep.

We picked Justicar as a way to channel lawful energy. Needed to close a rift to the Far Realm, and the situation called for desperate measures!

That's where the DM put the shard, and that's where we went. Woke it up and figured, we can't just LEAVE it! How evil is that?

"Kay, got what we came for. Time to go, enjoy ravaging the continent!" Nah, that's not what heroes do.

In all likelihood, yeah, we were doomed. BUT, we got backup, we went in swinging, and we had a lot of auto damage and healing.

We're...we're a very extremist group. Pushing the limit seems to be our specialty, I guess. It was ludicrous, yeah, but it was also the most fun I've ever had playing Dungeons and Dragons. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Also, yeahhh. There's no way it's challenging to an actual Level 30 party. However, it's terrifying at Paragon Tier, even if we have Avalanche crippling it's mobility, the burrow speed was the biggest trick it had up it's sleeve.

drawingfreak
2011-03-25, 08:34 PM
We're...we're a very extremist group. Pushing the limit seems to be our specialty, I guess.
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann.jpg

Tarrasque tested. Team Dai Gurren approved.

No, make that...
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9rzfwKFsl1qbogvfo1_400.gif
Kamina Squirtle approved!

DragonBaneDM
2011-03-26, 11:56 AM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9rzfwKFsl1qbogvfo1_400.gif
Kamina Squirtle approved!

I AM NOT WORTHY!!!