PDA

View Full Version : Issues with the site and IE 9

Master_Rahl22
2011-03-24, 09:59 AM
I've run into a few issues on other websites, but I'm confused by the one I see here. None of the buttons surrounding the message box work, although I can hover over the buttons and see the alt text. What confuses me is that Myth-Weavers has almost the exact same UI for posting and those buttons do work. I'm sure it's related to something like IE9 not liking whatever this site uses for that UI. Let me know if I can provide any more information about this.

The Rose Dragon
2011-03-24, 10:03 AM
There is a joke often told online that the only use for Internet Explorer is downloading a better browser. Internet Explorer is not compatible with many web standards, and thus can cause problems such as the one you are experiencing. The most common suggestion is to download Firefox and use that one instead.

I'm sure someone more proficient in fixing such problems will come along shortly, if that does not help.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-24, 10:07 AM
What confuses me is that Myth-Weavers has almost the exact same UI for posting and those buttons do work.

Similar UI does not mean similar coding. I can't help you with the details of fixing it, but it may be that IE just doesn't like GitP's code. Firefox is the answer, my friend.

Master_Rahl22
2011-03-24, 11:42 AM
This post was less for my own benefit than for the benefit of others who may come along and not know better. I have Firefox installed if I really need it, but IE 8 worked just fine. Additionally, IE 9 was specifically engineered with the purpose of following standards much better than previous versions.

I'm a programmer so I do know that UI <> code, but considering they're almost identical I wondered if they originally came from the same source or something.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-24, 06:21 PM
Are you still using the RC or have you gone to the final version? Because I've been using IE9 RC for a while and haven't had any trouble.

Also, TRD...

Additionally, IE 9 was specifically engineered with the purpose of following standards much better than previous versions.

See here. (http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/)

Irbis
2011-04-04, 05:25 PM
This post was less for my own benefit than for the benefit of others who may come along and not know better. I have Firefox installed if I really need it, but IE 8 worked just fine. Additionally, IE 9 was specifically engineered with the purpose of following standards much better than previous versions.

Yes, it was coded to better follow standards, which is why all these amateurish hacks that deceived IE over the years to do the things with page it wasn't supposed to do kill it now :>

As for you, it sounds like issue with java, which is what runs the UI. Maybe check if you have it on/it is properly installed?

senrath
2011-04-04, 06:08 PM
Yes, it was coded to better follow standards, which is why all these amateurish hacks that deceived IE over the years to do the things with page it wasn't supposed to do kill it now :>

As for you, it sounds like issue with java, which is what runs the UI. Maybe check if you have it on/it is properly installed?

Um, no. This website doesn't use Java in any capacity as far as I'm aware. It uses Javascript, which is a completely different thing and is up to the individual browser to execute correctly.