PDA

View Full Version : EVE Online

Gauntlet
2011-03-24, 10:03 AM
Does anyone here play, at all? I've been looking for a thread, but no luck ('EVE' being too short to search for doesn't help). I've just got started a couple of days ago, so I was wondering if there were any other capsuleers lurking around the depths of GiantITP.

Thorcrest
2011-03-24, 10:14 AM
There are a few of us on here... not enough for an official thread.

We've had a few threads, but they always die fairly quickly.

Trekkin
2011-03-24, 12:38 PM
I used to play, and some of my friends still do, but I kind of grew disappointed with the game's culture and the incessant insistence by everyone flying around that they're more "hardcore" than anyone else and refusing to conform to the standard level of barbarism was a sign of weakness.

I liked the game itself, though. I ended up flying a drone boat when I wasn't mining.

Borgh
2011-03-24, 12:51 PM
have been playing since 2008, still love it.

30 milion skillpoints and happy semi-carebearing in 0.0

thought
2011-03-24, 02:43 PM
Been playing a while myself. Pretty much just carebearing (missions) in hisec, some wormholes, and a few jaunts out to 0.0 in the South. Mostly just missions though. Plan to be playing for a long time yet!

Brother Oni
2011-03-24, 04:05 PM
I used to play it, but I just lost interest after my last corp collapsed.

Got just under 100mil SP - I may reactivate for a few months, just to hit that target.

Volatar
2011-03-24, 04:33 PM
I used to play religiously. Loved the game. I quit after BoB killed ASCN (I was in ASCN). Just couldn't play anymore after that much cheating and bug exploitation (and basically endorsed by the developers).

Trekkin
2011-03-24, 05:18 PM
cheating and bug exploitation (and basically endorsed by the developers).

EVE's development style and management style has always seemed to me like it was once summed up as "leveraging the natural tendancies of the player base in order to increase subscription count" next to a bullet point somewhere, right before "marketing by word of mouth". It looks impressive, but given the data on their subscription profile (which is unavailable for obvious reasons) I'd bet a sufficiently detailed statistical analysis would indicate that this sort of thing hurts them in the long run when compared to a hypothetical curve.

Draconi Redfir
2011-03-24, 11:32 PM
I play it very rearely, usually when i get some free game time thanks to a holiday event or game card, or when one of my freinds offers to buy a month for the two of us so we can play together.

Minnmatar for life, death to the Amarr.

Brother Oni
2011-03-25, 08:11 AM
I'd bet a sufficiently detailed statistical analysis would indicate that this sort of thing hurts them in the long run when compared to a hypothetical curve.

Sounds like something they should get their pet economist to have a look at, if he wasn't so far behind in the quarterly reports. :smalltongue: