PDA

View Full Version : The Sims Medieval: It's Not Just Heroes That Have A Fatal Flaw

megabyter5
2011-03-24, 10:19 AM
I preordered this game and picked started playing as soon as I could. It provided two days of fun, until I ran out of Quest Points. Now it wants me to say goodbye to my whole kingdom, essentially starting the game over. I thought I might have some fun with the free play option, and while it's nice to be able to switch between hero sims at-will, I'm upset that this mode appears to disable experience, which makes absolutely no sense.

Up until this point, though, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. What does the playground think? Can Sims Medieval overcome its Fatal Flaw and become Legendary?

Dr.Epic
2011-03-24, 10:30 AM
I preordered this game and picked started playing as soon as I could. It provided two days of fun, until I ran out of Quest Points. Now it wants me to say goodbye to my whole kingdom, essentially starting the game over. I thought I might have some fun with the free play option, and while it's nice to be able to switch between hero sims at-will, I'm upset that this mode appears to disable experience, which makes absolutely no sense.

Up until this point, though, my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. What does the playground think? Can Sims Medieval overcome its Fatal Flaw and become Legendary?

So long as it's the Sims meets general medieval fantasy I should like it. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but the Sims is an entertaining game. I don't think it's great, but I definitely like it. And I just love Sword and Sorcery. If it can blend the two, I'll be happy. Oh, and as for replay: aren't there several classes you can choose so you have options for starting the entire game again?

Leecros
2011-03-24, 10:58 AM
I've been curious about The Sims: Medieval, however my stance on it has always been a wary one...

Historically speaking Sims spinoff's either do well or sink into the abyss with a tendency to the latter...So i haven't gotten my hopes up, but from what i see and hear it is a pretty good game, so we'll see whether i purchase it out of sheer curiosity or not...

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-24, 11:07 AM
The commercial had the guy who play Turk from Scurbs, so it certainly caught my interest off the bat.

megabyter5
2011-03-24, 01:39 PM
So long as it's the Sims meets general medieval fantasy I should like it. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but the Sims is an entertaining game. I don't think it's great, but I definitely like it. And I just love Sword and Sorcery. If it can blend the two, I'll be happy. Oh, and as for replay: aren't there several classes you can choose so you have options for starting the entire game again?

Yes and no. The first Hero you make is the Monarch. When you do quests, you get Resource Points. You can spend those Resource Points on buildings. Most buildings unlock another class of Hero sim. If you make all the buildings, you will have all 10 hero sims in the same level. Each quest has one or two classes needed, and you play as that class for the duration of the quest.

Deme
2011-03-24, 02:23 PM
The system is a little annoying, as is the fact that you can't save during the tutorial quest. I can't play right now, but I have to have the game open because I've worked on the intro quests.

I do dislike the cameras, but I dig the overall mood, and hearing petitioners.
Trying to come up with a theme for my kingdom is fun.

Also, my monarch refuses to sleep, even though he's tired. I don't know why.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-25, 06:46 PM
Yes and no. The first Hero you make is the Monarch. When you do quests, you get Resource Points. You can spend those Resource Points on buildings. Most buildings unlock another class of Hero sim. If you make all the buildings, you will have all 10 hero sims in the same level. Each quest has one or two classes needed, and you play as that class for the duration of the quest.

So, it's like being a Super-Duper Munchkin! Still, I think it could be fun. What's combat like (if there is combat)?

FantasyFoxMan
2011-03-25, 07:09 PM
Gah, game updates. Dammit, EA, quit stalling for time, I haven't even played the game yet! :V

Leecros
2011-03-25, 10:25 PM
So, it's like being a Super-Duper Munchkin! Still, I think it could be fun. What's combat like (if there is combat)?

It's probably just the skill system that they have in normal Sims games along with a small touch from the RNG...

I just hope it's not like magic in the first Sims game, it looks cool and great...until you realize the hours upon hours of studying that your sim has to do in order to become proficient with it....:smallannoyed:

FantasyFoxMan
2011-03-27, 08:32 PM
Ugh. My computer is terrible. It's a wonder that the game even works at all, but I can't even do certain things without the game suddenly stopping what it's doing to go into a black screen and freeze, causing me to do a force shutdown and turn my computer back on again. It's ridiculous. :smallmad:

Aside from that, this game is awesome.

Woot Spitum
2011-03-28, 06:59 AM
I love the opening. The tutorial is a little long, though.

Gecks
2011-03-28, 11:23 AM
I have been playing a ton of Sims 3 medieval the last little while, pretty far into my second kingdom, and I have to say that I really, really enjoy it. Seems to have all (or at least, most of) the sandbox appeal of the Sims, but the quest aspects makes it more of a "game", and to me adds a neat, realistic challenge of balancing the sandbox elements, the daily financial grind, and the epic quests that need to be completed. My only real fear is the grim stench of repetition coming during each new kingdom playthrough, but so far I am still finding neat new things to do with the various heroes, and am enjoying the mild strategic challenge of trying to complete a new ambition. The game has actually exceeded my expectations quite a bit so far!

warty goblin
2011-03-28, 01:39 PM
I love the opening. The tutorial is a little long, though.

I'll agree that the tutorial is a bit long, although on the plus side I actually felt like I knew how to play after completing it. On the net I'll take long and informative over short and useless.

I'm not very far in yet, but so far am liking what I'm seeing. I liked the social aspects of Sims 3, but the general purposelessness never quite sat right with me. Quests gives the game some purpose, and the personality based socializing is still there* so I'm a happy guy.

Also, I seriously dig the combat animations. Who'd have thought a casual title would be the first one I've ever seen to demonstrate wrestling at the sword?

*Why more games don't do this I'll never know. Despite not containing any actually understandable language, dialog in the Sims games feels approximately 100 times more interesting and naturalistic than in any RPG I've ever played.

Callista
2011-03-28, 01:45 PM
Personally, I think Sims 3 itself has quite a few fatal flaws--they ditched a lot of what made Sims 2 good and added a lot of fetch quests and gotta-cactch-em-all kind of content. It's not exactly what we were hoping for in a sequel. But Sims 2 is still going strong and is extremely easy to mod; so new fan-made content is coming out all the time. I highly recommend it if you like Sims 3, because Sims 2 is better.