PDA

View Full Version : Fey or Infernal Hexblade

Dalek-K
2011-03-24, 11:09 AM
So I like both of these progressions but I'm not sure which to really go with...

I'm not a big fan of fire or ice and the fluff for both are on the same level.

I like the idea of being able to summon a Pit Fiend (Infernal) over a Treant (Fey)

Are there any big differences in play style that I'm missing though? Fey get to teleport but Infernal gets temp HP.... Hmmm

Jack_Banzai
2011-03-24, 11:21 AM
I like the Fey pact hexblade, myself. Teleports? Invisibility? Yes please.

Mando Knight
2011-03-24, 12:04 PM
There's additional Hexblade Pacts in Dragon. #393 (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TOC.aspx?x=dnd/4new/drtoc/393) has the Star Pact and the Lady of the White Well (variant Fey Pact).

Also, the first two Hexblade pacts are ones that you make if you plan on flipping off the other end: Winter fey hearts are as cold as their lands, and Devils are Always Evil (except when they aren't).

Surrealistik
2011-03-24, 12:07 PM
Fey, at least on a mechanical level. The Infernal pact has inferior power selection, arguably inferior features, and a markedly inferior at-will attack in Soul Eater; necrotic damage is fail, though you can use a damage type converter to get around that.

Sploosh
2011-03-24, 01:22 PM
Yes, when you compare light blade and frost weapons vs necrotic damage and non light blades you begin to get a very slanted scale on a class that follows all the basics of a charger build. (ie. Light blade feats, surprising charge from a multiclass, frostcheese, ect)

I am currently playing and enjoying a White Well pact myself and while it isn't bad mechanically, it still pales in comparison to your Fey pact for optimization. That said, I love the Fey/Arthurian fluff and I enjoy the fun of a low level high attack reflex MBA sprinkled with radiant damage.

Nu
2011-03-25, 05:40 AM
Mechanically, I believe the fey build is better and has more powerful options.

I really like the play style of an infernal that focuses on retaliating against those that hit, though. The stats match up perfectly for the tiefling, too, and the Con-based dailies are usually better for the Hexblade than Charisma-based ones (at least at low levels).