PDA

View Full Version : Delicious Backstory, Spell list!

NeverSleep
2011-03-24, 01:49 PM
John fastbender: Human, 22. Wiz 5, Incantatrix 1.

Family History:

My father, Germain, came from a military background. Once on a mission he made a deal with a devil to save his small platoon from being wiped out by an army of giants. The devil saved him and his men, but my father acquired a hell-debt.

Apprenticeship:

In his elder age, and in declining health, a wizard offered to remove and repay his hell-debt. All he had to do was give his son as an apprentice to the Mage.

Both father and myself (14 at the time) agreed to the deal. I began to work for the wizard "Fairclaw".

At first my master was generous and kind. I was to serve him for 10 years. He noticed my aptitude for learning and had me scribing scrolls of cantrips and minor spells. I also opperated the alarms and traps around his tower. He taught me how to use magic in many different ways.

Journeyman:

As time went on Fairclaw's disposition changed. He became mistrusting, power hungry, cruel, and finally violent.

He had begun to do experiments with powerful conjurations, dementing nature's animals through surgery, animating bizaar machines, and most recently I witnessed him performing necromancy.

As Fairclaw's pursuits changed, so did my role.

I used to renew enchantments feed the familiars, scribe useful spells and cantrips onto scrolls, and accompany Fairclaw to exotic locales to visit excavation sites and libraries.

At the end I was paging through dark rituals checking for errors, picking up packages from questionable people and locations, holding night-long vigils over Fairclaw as he battled in his magic-induced dreams, casting and scribing dark magics, preparing the bodies of the recently dead for experimentation, and accompanying him into places which I don't believe we were invited to.

I don't believe he meant to do what he did...

While exploring a dungeon rumored to be an ancient mages resting place we were attacked. *We survived the encounter, but Fairclaw's mind had not.

We pushed onward despite his obvious affliction. Then, at a moments notice Fairclaw attacked an enemy I hadn't seen... Then another.... One spell after another he attacked the darkness.

Then me.

His fury must have blinded him. *He screamed as he unleashed his magics through the structure. I looked back as I ran, somehow he seemed torn between two selves.

Aftermath:

I went back to his secluded tower and grabbed what I could carry, including some of his notes and tomes which I can't even begin to comprehend.

I'm glad that BlackStaff has heard my story and taken me in to his academy.

Rules Specifics:

Setting: Faerun
Books: Any with approval
Human incantatar1 wiz5
20 Int with items and boost
Low str (8)
Others moderate

Help me:

Need spells up to 3rd level based on this starting story. I'd prefer they were thematically appropriate rather than power-gamey.

Spells in Spellbook:

8 1rst level
6 2nd level
4 3rd level

I'm starting this game on Monday, and need to have the spell list approved by then.

Here's an initial list

1:
Alarm
Mage Armor
Unseen Servent
Ray of Enfeeblement
Tenser's Floating Disk
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Magic Missile

2:
Glitterdust
See Invisibility
Mirror Image
Command Undead
Rope Trick
Whispering Wind

3:
Dispel Magic
Non-Detection
Gentle Repose
Halt Undead

These are all core, but I was hoping to get advice from non-core books.

Thanks!

only1doug
2011-03-24, 02:06 PM
> John fastbender: 22
family history

My father, Germain, came from a military background. Once on a mission he made a deal with a devil to save his small platoon from being wiped out by an army of giants. The devil saved him and his men, but my father acquired a hell-debt.

Apprenticeship

In his elder age, and in declining health, a wizard offered to remove and repay his hell-debt. All he had to do was give his son as an apprentice to the Mage.

Both father and myself (14 at the time) agreed to the deal. I began to work for the wizard "Fairclaw".

At first my master was generous and kind. I was to serve him for 10 years. He noticed my aptitude for learning and had me scribing scrolls of cantrips and minor spells. I also opperated the alarms and traps around his tower. He taught me how to use magic in many different ways.

Journeyman

As time went on Fairclaw's disposition changed. He became mistrusting, power hungry, cruel, and finally violent.

He had begun to do experiments with powerful conjurations, dementing nature's animals through surgery, animating bizaar machines, and most recently I witnessed him performing necromancy.

As Fairclaw's pursuits changed, so did my role.

I used to renew enchantments feed the familiars, scribe useful spells and cantrips onto scrolls, and accompany Fairclaw to exotic locales to visit excavation sites and libraries.

At the end I was paging through dark rituals checking for errors, picking up packages from questionable people and locations, holding night-long vigils over Fairclaw as he battled in his magic-induced dreams, casting and scribing dark magics, preparing the bodies of the recently dead for experimentation, and accompanying him into places which I don't believe we were invited to.

I don't believe he meant to do what he did...

While exploring a dungeon rumored to be an ancient mages resting place we were attacked. *We survived the encounter, but Fairclaw's mind had not.

We pushed onward despite his obvious affliction. Then, at a moments notice Fairclaw attacked an enemy I hadn't seen... Then another.... One spell after another he attacked the darkness.

Then me.

His fury must have blinded him. *He screamed as he unleashed his magics through the structure. I looked back as I ran, somehow he seemed torn between two selves.

aftermath

I went back to his secluded tower and grabbed what I could carry, including some of his notes and tomes which I can't even begin to comprehend.

I'm glad that BlackStaff has heard my story and taken me in to his academy.

rules details

Setting: Faerun
Books: any with approval
Human incantatar1 wiz5
20 int with items and boost
Low str (8)

Request

need spells up to 3rd level based on this starting story. I'd prefer they were thematically appropriate rather than power gamey.

Sorry for the bad formatting. Posting from a phone.

I'm starting this game on Monday, and need to have the spell list approved by then.

Thanks!

I did some re-formatting for you.

Spells Should Include
L1
Alarm
Unseen Servant
Featherfall
Expeditious retreat

L2
Obscure object
Glitterdust
Command undead
False life

L3
Gentle repose
Halt Undead

NeverSleep
2011-03-24, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the help with formatting and all Doug.

I have the specific number of spells I need now, OP.

I'm looking to reflect the "good times" and the "bad times" in the spellbook.

Thinking that he would want me to protect myself, but not be offensive, as that was his job, at least in the beginning. Prestidigitation type spells for cleaning his laundry, etc...

Then later body prep, and more themed necromatically. Invisibility for being places we're not supposed to.

I was also thinking about being a domain wizard with the domain "teamwork", if anybody wants to take a shot at that.

Thanks again Playgrounders!

only1doug
2011-03-25, 07:15 AM
Yeah, I didn't have a lot of time to look through other sources last night night, My D&D game was about to start.

I'll have a look through tonight / this weekend for non-core suggestions.

Calmar
2011-03-26, 07:57 AM
I am no expert on magic, but that's truly a nice backstory, NeverSleep. :smallsmile:

only1doug
2011-03-26, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the help with formatting and all Doug.

I have the specific number of spells I need now, OP.

I'm looking to reflect the "good times" and the "bad times" in the spellbook.

Thinking that he would want me to protect myself, but not be offensive, as that was his job, at least in the beginning. Prestidigitation type spells for cleaning his laundry, etc...

Then later body prep, and more themed necromatically. Invisibility for being places we're not supposed to.

I was also thinking about being a domain wizard with the domain "teamwork", if anybody wants to take a shot at that.

Thanks again Playgrounders!

L2 SpC
Malevolent Miasma - 15' radius non lethal damage (just for the name really)
Dark Way - temporary bridge (utility spell, dark in name (if not in nature))
Shroud of Undeath - undead perceive you as undead (useful perhaps?)

L3 SpC
greater Mage armour - (improved protection for self and master)

L1 Complete Mage
Vigilant slumber - set conditions which will wake you (generally useful)

L3 Complete Mage
Ghost Lantern - generate light that only you and your companions can see (ideal for graverobbing)

only1doug
2011-03-26, 09:06 AM
Here's an initial list

1:
Alarm
Mage Armor
Unseen Servent
Ray of Enfeeblement
Tenser's Floating Disk
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Magic Missile

2:
Glitterdust
See Invisibility
Mirror Image
Command Undead
Rope Trick
Whispering Wind

3:
Dispel Magic
Non-Detection
Gentle Repose
Halt Undead

My suggestions in Blue

1:
Alarm
Mage Armor
Unseen Servent
Ray of Enfeeblement
Tenser's Floating Disk
Disguise Self
Expeditious Retreat
Magic Missile
Vigilant slumber

2:
Glitterdust
See Invisibility
Mirror Image
Command Undead
Rope Trick
Whispering Wind
Shroud of Undeath
Dark Way
Malevolent Miasma

3:
Dispel Magic
Non-Detection
Gentle Repose
Halt Undead
Ghost Lantern
greater Mage armour

begooler
2011-03-26, 10:46 AM
The 2nd level spell, Phantasmal Assailants (SpC) goes well with what happens to Fairclaw. Perhaps it was among the spells he was researching and taught to you, or maybe it's something you were able to decipher from one of his tomes. Maybe his discovering the spell affected him in some way that caused that dungeon to influence him differently than you.