PDA

View Full Version : A truly...manly(?)...doughnut!

Cyrion
2011-03-24, 03:42 PM
So, for the office potluck today, someone brought in an assortment of doughnuts that included a maple bacon doughnut. I tried a piece and it was most... interesting. It was sort of like a combo of pretzel M&Ms and sweet and sour pork.

After the bacon thread on the boards a little while ago, I thought pointing out the existence of this particular collation would brighten the day of certain members of these forums.

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-24, 03:50 PM
Did it have actual bacon on it? 'cause I can see how that'd be good. I like maple syrup and bacon together.

Ranger Mattos
2011-03-24, 03:53 PM
http://www.80stees.com/images/products/The_Simpsons_Homer_Wants_a_Doughnut-T-link.jpg

Mmmm, maple bacon donut...

mangosta71
2011-03-24, 04:06 PM
Well, French toast with maple syrup and bacon is delicious, so why wouldn't a doughnut similarly attired also be delicious?

Science Officer
2011-03-24, 04:22 PM
Yes? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_burger)

10chars

Blisstake
2011-03-24, 04:32 PM
Yes? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_burger)

10chars

Something tells me that would require a fortitude save.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-24, 05:53 PM
Doughnuts are delicious. I dunno if they have them anywhere else, but Tiny Tom's Doughnuts at the Canadian National Exhibition are the BEST! And watching them get made is so much fun too, cause they have this little conveyor belt of hot oil... MmmmM! :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2011-03-24, 06:01 PM
I once paid a baker to make a doughnut with sausage it it.
Was worth it.

Innis Cabal
2011-03-24, 07:31 PM
If it's not a Krispy Kream then it's not worth the time or money if we're talking commercial donuts. Nothing beats home made ones though quite frankly. I like filling mine with Golden Curry.

arguskos
2011-03-24, 07:35 PM
If it's not a Krispy Kream then it's not worth the time or money if we're talking commercial donuts. Nothing beats home made ones though quite frankly. I like filling mine with Golden Curry.
1. Tim Hortons is quite delicious.

2. ...golden curry donuts. Seriously. Seriously. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT MAN AUGH WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. You're killing me, Innis, killing me.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-24, 07:37 PM

2. ...golden curry donuts. Seriously. Seriously. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT MAN AUGH WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. You're killing me, Innis, killing me.

I agree with 1.
But 2.? It sounds just fine to me!

Innis Cabal
2011-03-24, 07:41 PM

1. Tim Horton's may be good, but a fresh Krispy Kream donut right off the line...back when the actual stores dotted the Ohio countryside like little havens of heart attack inducing fields....

2. What's wrong with it? It's not a sweet donut or anything. It's more like a donut dough wanton.

As a chef, it's my duty to create culinary nightmares. It's how you create new dishs! We're working on south western poutine at the moment.

Necro_EX
2011-03-24, 07:46 PM
Concannon's > other donuts.

Sadly, that's a local thing, so not everyone can experience the joy.

Awesomely, I'm related to those folks. :D

Orzel
2011-03-24, 07:48 PM
Golden curry?

You crazy. Now Jerk seasoning...

Innis Cabal
2011-03-24, 07:49 PM
Golden curry?

You crazy. Now Jerk seasoning...

And various other curries as well. Though Golden works best quite honestly. We've also made golden curry apple fritters to much success.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-24, 07:54 PM

Never did like Krispy Kream... we've got some excellent donut shops 'round here, though.

arguskos
2011-03-24, 07:55 PM
1. Tim Horton's may be good, but a fresh Krispy Kream donut right off the line...back when the actual stores dotted the Ohio countryside like little havens of heart attack inducing fields....
There's still one up on Dublin Granville Road off of Sawmill. I go up there once in awhile.

2. What's wrong with it? It's not a sweet donut or anything. It's more like a donut dough wanton.
Aaaaah. I was like "you have a sweet donut full of Golden Curry, WHY GOD WHY". Instead, if you're doing a Golden Curry wonton with a donut, ok, that's far more awesome.

Is the curry meat-based or vegetarian?

As a chef, it's my duty to create culinary nightmares. It's how you create new dishs! We're working on south western poutine at the moment.
That could turn out nicely, unlike say a chocolate frosted curry-filled sweet donut, which sounds like a nightmare. Poutine isn't really my favorite, but the idea is solid (it's basically cheese fries with gravy after all). What are you guys thinking about right now? Fries, blue cheese, maybe a spicy sauce to replace the gravy?

Innis Cabal
2011-03-24, 07:58 PM
There's still one up on Dublin Granville Road off of Sawmill. I go up there once in awhile.

They fled Akron like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Aaaaah. I was like "you have a sweet donut full of Golden Curry, WHY GOD WHY". Instead, if you're doing a Golden Curry wonton with a donut, ok, that's far more awesome.

You wouldn't be surpised I'm sure to know that's everyone's initial reaction. :smallwink:

Is the curry meat-based or vegetarian?

Both depending on who we're serving them to. The meat based version still contains stewed potato's and beef is the prefered meat though when I was still in Ohio we used venison. No good deer out in the Southwest.

That could turn out nicely, unlike say a chocolate frosted curry-filled sweet donut, which sounds like a nightmare. Poutine isn't really my favorite, but the idea is solid (it's basically cheese fries with gravy after all). What are you guys thinking about right now? Fries, blue cheese, maybe a spicy sauce to replace the gravy?

I'll make a new thread for that, since I don't want to derail this one.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-03-24, 08:24 PM
There's a Krispy Kream near my house. Course, I'm in Detroit, not Ohio, but it's still there.

Also, the Kroger's by my house sells Krispy Kream.

Trog
2011-03-25, 12:10 AM
Krispy Kremes are all fluff and sugar and no substance. Bleh. :smallyuk: Give me a decent long john or custard bismark any day of the week over that stuff.

tyckspoon
2011-03-25, 01:52 AM
Krispy Kremes are all fluff and sugar and no substance. Bleh. :smallyuk: Give me a decent long john or custard bismark any day of the week over that stuff.

A good yeast donut, as close to fresh from the oven as you can get it, is one of life's great simple pleasures. Sure, they're nothing, but they're the most satisfyingly delicious nothing I've ever run into- when they're still fluffy, and biting into them makes them give way in a puff of sugared air.. *drool* On the down side, they don't keep particularly well; as soon as they cool, they start getting much denser. If you can't get them hot and fresh, you want a different style of pastry.

mangosta71
2011-03-25, 09:32 AM
Same holds for any glazed doughnnut - they're best before they cool enough for the glaze to crystallize.

A couple months ago I had a custard-filled doughnut topped with chocolate powder and cake crumbs. I have no idea what it was called, and I've never seen another like it.

I used to really like jelly doughnuts, but I find that my taste has shifted so that now, like Trog, I prefer custard. But I rarely eat doughnuts at all - I pretty much only have one when someone brings them to a meeting at work. I probably eat fewer than half a dozen per year.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-25, 03:23 PM
Tim Horton's Sour Cream doughnut.
*drooooools*

rayne_dragon
2011-03-25, 08:24 PM
Canadian Maple doughnuts from Tim Horton's are my favourite. I tend to like their seasonal specialty doughnuts too... pumpkin spice was great.

If I was going to make a culinary abomination of a doughnut I'd fill it with squid, octopus, or cuttlefish. Imagine biting into a sweet, fluffy doughnut only to find it filled with delicous, but chewy tentacles.

Actually, gummi centipedes sound like an even better filling now, but that would be less scary.

wxdruid
2011-03-25, 08:45 PM
When I lived on Keesler AFB for wx school we'd occasionally get Tatonuts (http://tatonut.com/) for donuts. One of the main ingredients is potatoes, not sure how, but they do and they were very good. But, I haven't been there in a long time and I'm not sure if it's still there or not. I think that location is the only one.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-25, 10:12 PM
Canadian Maple doughnuts from Tim Horton's are my favourite. I tend to like their seasonal specialty doughnuts too... pumpkin spice was great.

The pumpkin spice is always AMAZING. Best doughnut ever. And yeah, the Canadian Maple is sweet too. Ooooh, remember that triple chocolate they had a coupla years ago? That was amaaazing. Not as good as the pumpkin spice, but definitely second place.

Cyrion
2011-03-25, 10:21 PM
Did it have actual bacon on it? 'cause I can see how that'd be good. I like maple syrup and bacon together.

Yes, it did. It was a maple glaze doughnut with bits of bacon on it.

rayne_dragon
2011-03-25, 10:36 PM
The pumpkin spice is always AMAZING. Best doughnut ever. And yeah, the Canadian Maple is sweet too. Ooooh, remember that triple chocolate they had a coupla years ago? That was amaaazing. Not as good as the pumpkin spice, but definitely second place.

I had a triple chocolate last november. Really chocolatey, but not that amazing. Their regular jelly-filled doughnuts are about as good.

Curse you for making me crave pumpkin spice doughnuts... I have to fast for a blood test tomorrow.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-26, 09:43 PM
I had a triple chocolate last november. Really chocolatey, but not that amazing. Their regular jelly-filled doughnuts are about as good.

Curse you for making me crave pumpkin spice doughnuts... I have to fast for a blood test tomorrow.

That sucks. When I had my blood tests this year, I didn't have to fast, but I've fasted for quite some time before, and it can be HAAARD.

Also: You can smell the doughnuts, can't you. Mmmm, that distinctive pumpkin smell...

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-26, 11:22 PM
<Monkey sits up in bed>
It's time to make the doughnuts!
<reaches for cookbook>

Brother Oni
2011-03-27, 04:21 AM
With regard to curry doughnuts, the Japanese have been selling curry bread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_bread) for a while.

I like them as Japanese curry is a lot milder than normal Indian (bit spicy for me), but I prefer melon bread (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melon_bread).

Dr.Epic
2011-03-27, 12:53 PM
So, for the office potluck today, someone brought in an assortment of doughnuts that included a maple bacon doughnut.

That's the kind of doughnut Kamina would eat.

Winter_Wolf
2011-03-28, 04:43 PM

Mr. Donut and Dunkin' Donuts both rate higher on my donut deliciousness scale than Krispy Kream. I've tried all three places in multiple locations, so the likelihood of coincidence is significantly reduced.

I will agree with you that curry donuts are delicious. All in all though, I find that for some unfathomable reason my favorite kind is the lowly cake donut. Doesn't even need any glaze. I fail at making donuts on my own, though. They don't turn out well.