PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Non-casting Assassin

Thurbane
2011-03-24, 05:44 PM
I’m interested in developing a non-casting Assassin variant, similar to the non-casting Paladin and ranger variants found in CW and CC. What would be a fair trade to give an Assassin if he were to lose spellcasting? More skill points? Better BAB or saves? New class features?

Cheers - T

P.S. I'm not talking about an "assassin-like class", I'm talking DMG Assassin, sans casting. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Moriato
2011-03-24, 05:54 PM
How about the ability to "study" an enemy while engaged in combat with it? It never seemed right to me that just recognizing you as an enemy made your opponent pretty much immune to your death attack, and lets face it, the ability to force a save-or-die/save-or-suck with a hard to increase save DC once every 4 rounds IF you manage to hit is not exactly game breaking in the grand scheme of things.

ex cathedra
2011-03-24, 06:03 PM
Full base attack bonus, and one or two relevant combat bonuses (Whether it be Dex or Int to damage, a good version of Hide in Plain Sight, similar [Ex] power boosts) would do a lot to make it more viable.

gorfnab
2011-03-24, 11:56 PM
You could use the Pathfinder Assassin (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/assassin). Just change the skills back to 3.5. I would still give it some other boost like full BAB and/or Int or Dex to damage.

Gensh
2011-03-25, 12:07 AM
If you don't mind Dragon Magazine content, there were three variants in 312, but I don't know if they're in the Compendium. In any case, you'd need a way for them to hide really well until they get HiPS if they're not getting Invisibility, as well as a few other utility functions. Basically, give them the Adam West utility belt. :smallbiggrin:

Vangor
2011-03-25, 12:38 AM
Increase the DC of poisons the assassin makes and uses +1 every other level starting with 2nd (identical rate as the bonus to saves versus poison an assassin gains). Allow the channeling of sneak attack dice into the DC of the death attack, either 1d6 or 2d6 per +1. Lower the level of hide in plain sight to 5th. Increase the amount of skill points per level to 5 or 6 seeing as how all assassins take hide and move silently, plus disguise, spot, and sleight of hand are almost as necessary to be a successful assassin.