PDA

View Full Version : Running the Asylum [3.5 Epic Destiny]

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-24, 06:02 PM
Demon Lord
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/lord_illidan_stormrage_by_manufc1983-d1c2mxj.jpg
An Epic Destiny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9633903&postcount=2) for 3.5e

In the Infinite Layers of the Abyss, the spawn that is wrought never ends, only culled by the efforts of the good and just, and the planning and schemes of the Devils that exist in Baator. From Manes and Dretches to Vrock and Succubus and even the feared Balors, the foul beings that arise from the nightmare scape are endless. But in this endless swarm of distilled psychopathy, there are "born" a lucky few. They are the ones destined for greatness, as the mighty ruler of a slice of the Abyss.

Prerequisites: 21st level*, Chaotic Evil, Outsider type
21 levels in a Monster class or an ELC of 21 are both acceptable to qualify for this prerequisite. This also modifies the prerequisites of the Epic Destiny feat normally taken at 21st level.

{table=head]Level|Special

21st|Lord's Dominion
24th|Baleful Presence
27th|Evil Never Dies
30th|Lord of the Abyss[/table]

Lord's Dominion (Su): At 21st level, the Demon Lord gains powers over an aspect of creation that defines him, like Orcus' undead or Jubilex's slime. At 21st level, the Demon Lord chooses a Cleric Domain. They gain the Domain Power as a cleric of their HD, and they can use each spell listed in the domain as SLAs twice per day each, with a caster level equal to their HD. The exception is the spells of levels 1st, 2nd and 3rd, which can be used at will. Note that you cannot take Planar Domains with this ability.

Baleful Presence (Ex): At 24th level, the simple presence of the Demon Lord is enough to make lesser beings flee or gibber in madness. When a being would see or hear the Demon Lord, they must make a Will Save (DC 10 + The Demon Lord's Cha Mod + The Demon Lord's HD), or suffer one of two effects, chosen by the Demon Lord at 24th level. This choice, once made, cannot be changed. Lastly, a being only needs to make one save against an individual Demon Lord's aura once every 24 hours.

Aura of Eldritch Madness: A target that fails their Will Save against this ability is instantly effected by an Insanity spell. If they succeed on the save, they are simply affected by a Lesser Confusion spell instead.

Aura of Mind-Shattering Terror: A being that fails their Will Save against this ability is instantly killed on the spot from fear, as if they had failed their save against a Phantasmal Killer spell, with the main difference that the mind-shattering terror was the Demon Lord. Succeeding on the save means the target is simply effected by a Fear spell instead.

The caster level for these effects (When applicable) is equal to the Demon Lord's HD.

Evil Never Dies (Ex): At 27th level, the Demon Lord has become a colossus of evil and is near-impossible to put down. They gain DR 20/Cold Iron and Epic, SR equal to 13 + The Demon Lord's HD, and Regeneration 5, bypassed by Epic and Good weaponry. The Regeneration and SR stacks with any existing quality of the same type. If the Demon Lord already has DR, it instead increases by 20, and Cold Iron and Epic is added to the qualities needed to bypass it. Also, if the Demon Lord would be killed, instead of dissipating into oblivion, the Demon Lord reforms on a layer of the Abyss of his choice. The layer of the Demon Lord's rebirth can be changed by meditating for one hour, and this reformation can be prevented if the Demon Lord is killed in a Hallowed area.

Lord of the Abyss (Ex): At 30th level, the Demon Lord is truly a part of Abyssal legend, and he gains a legendary army to match. The Demon Lord gains up to 100HD worth of Demons as indebted Cohorts, with the parameter that no Demon can have more HD than the Demon Lord's HD-5. The Demon Lord may however, have advanced versions of normal demons. Other than this, what constitutes the Demon Lord's armies is up to the Demon Lord. Killed cohorts granted by this ability are replaced within 24 hours as the slain demon reforms in the Abyss, and then bullies its way back to its master via acquiring a Plane Shift. The Demon Lord may also have (At the DM's discretion) different types of creatures, although they must generally fit the theme of the Demon Lord, such as Orcus's undead and Jubilex's oozes.

Immortailty: The Lord on His Throne
Through the infinite trials of the Infinite Abyss, you have risen above the lower kind that you once saw as horrors beyond your mortal ken, and now use them as pawns. You acquire a layer of the Abyss for yourself, by coup or by exploring new realms that no other Demon Lord would or could claim. You might, just might, as a possibility, take up the ultimate challenge and depose Demogorgon himself, and take the title of Prince of Demons. If that were to be, there would be a new age of Demons, madder than the rule of the Obyrith and more malevolent than the rule of the Tanar'ri.
A most legendary rule indeed.

---

Creator's Comments
Inspired by what I read in Dragon #329, where it offers advice on how to make your own Demon Lord. So yeah, I went there. Boredom does that, and I've been wanting to do this for ages anyway. Please be gentle. My Epic Knowledge is........poor.

LOTRfan
2011-03-24, 06:16 PM
I like this. One question, though: To advance with this, does the outsider need 21 character levels, or an ECL of 21?

Also, the picture is messed up (as in I can't see it).

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-24, 06:27 PM
Fixed the picture now. Also, I guess ECL 21 is just as epic, so I shall add it in.

radmelon
2011-03-24, 10:35 PM
How does an epic destiny work? I've heard that they're in 4e, but I've never read it for either that or 3.5.

The-Mage-King
2011-03-24, 10:47 PM
The second post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173430) has a copy-pasta of it. It was on the WotC site, until they said "PR is for wimps!" and deleted all of Dragon 361-363.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-25, 10:43 AM
Methinks I shall link that post to the main page.

Jallorn
2011-03-25, 11:51 PM
This feels somewhat narrow to me, if I were to create this from scratch (note, I haven't examined the abilities just yet, though I will) I wouldn't make it outsider specific, and I would make the abilities be about becoming a demon lord, so that PCs could take it without monster levels.

Also, I would make a generic Evil Destiny, or couple it with a LE one for Devils.

I'll say more sometime tomorrow when I am awake enough to critique the balance. :smallwink:

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-26, 08:02 AM
This feels somewhat narrow to me, if I were to create this from scratch (note, I haven't examined the abilities just yet, though I will) I wouldn't make it outsider specific, and I would make the abilities be about becoming a demon lord, so that PCs could take it without monster levels.

Also, I would make a generic Evil Destiny, or couple it with a LE one for Devils.

I'll say more sometime tomorrow when I am awake enough to critique the balance. :smallwink:

Is it too narrow? It gains everything a Demon Lord needs/normally has (SLA's, a Scary Aura, Damage Protection, servants), but I intended it for Monster Classes/PC's. Maybe i'll mess about with the requirements. Also, I don't need to make an LE version. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7053826&postcount=1)

LOTRfan
2011-03-26, 10:15 AM
I don't think it is too narrow. How would a non-demon become a demon lord?

Jallorn
2011-03-26, 12:30 PM
Lord's Dominion - A little boring, but fair for the level, 21st level can afford to be a little boring, this works.

Baleful Presence - Well, this is much more interesting, but I don't really see the Aura of Madness piece. It fits with the chaotic alignment, but I've never known demons to be associated with insanity in quite that way, seems more of an eldritch horror kind of thing. This could just be a lack of information on my part however. This ability is appropriate for the level.

Evil Never Dies - Booooring. It makes him exceedingly durable, but doesn't provide any new options. It is balance appropriate, but boring. Find something more interesting.

Lord of the Abyss - Eh, at level 30, one could already have a Balor as a cohort anyway, so this is pretty boring and not terribly good for an Epic Destiny capstone. Besides which, the insinuation that the Balor may betray? Not a cohort then. The capstone of an Epic Destiny should be something unique and game changing. It should provide an ability that can only be matched by ridiculously powerful Epic magic, or by another Epic Destiny capstone. This just doesn't work here.

LOTRfan
2011-03-26, 12:37 PM
All demons with the Obyrith subtype have an aura of madness.

Jallorn
2011-03-26, 01:08 PM
Ok, fair enough.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-26, 01:12 PM
I know what to do with the 30th level ability, but i'm not quite sure about the 27th level ability. I shall try something.

There. Evil Never Dies makes sure you have to kill the Demon Lord properly or it won't stick, and Lord of the Abyss gives you a full-blown army. Better? Worse? Broken?

Jallorn
2011-03-28, 01:41 AM
I think that those work quite well. The 27th level ability might be a little strong, but not by too much I think, and your change adds some nice flavor what with reforming back in the Abyss. Since resurrection is cheap by epic levels, that should be okay.

As for the 30th level ability, I would limit the demons by a few more levels at least. I was originally thinking half HD, but that seems like too low, so I'm recommending max be Demon Lord HD-5. But the overall limitation was a nice touch which should keep it pretty fair even sticking with what you have now.

Zaydos
2011-03-28, 01:56 AM
Looks cool, though I have to second that HD-1 is a little too high for the fiendish cohorts. Although is this intended to be with Improved Monster Classes from these forums or Savage Species progressions? Either way standard tiefling can qualify and get in (with LA buy-off) and have 3 29 HD balors or succubi sorceresses Lv 23 as cohorts.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-28, 09:43 AM
I think that those work quite well. The 27th level ability might be a little strong, but not by too much I think, and your change adds some nice flavor what with reforming back in the Abyss. Since resurrection is cheap by epic levels, that should be okay.

As for the 30th level ability, I would limit the demons by a few more levels at least. I was originally thinking half HD, but that seems like too low, so I'm recommending max be Demon Lord HD-5. But the overall limitation was a nice touch which should keep it pretty fair even sticking with what you have now.

HD-5 sounds good. Will do.

Looks cool, though I have to second that HD-1 is a little too high for the fiendish cohorts. Although is this intended to be with Improved Monster Classes from these forums or Savage Species progressions? Either way standard tiefling can qualify and get in (with LA buy-off) and have 3 29 HD balors or succubi sorceresses Lv 23 as cohorts.

Honestly? I don't really mind how they get in. If it's Savage Species or Monster Classes or just sucking up the RHD/LA, anything works for me.
Also, I'm not really bothered by 3 25HD balors, because putting your eggs in one basket like that is a bit risky. That and it's high-epic. I'm going for the cool. :smallcool: