PDA

View Full Version : Can you use more than one "Rod of Excellent Magic"

Sims
2011-03-24, 10:10 PM
The Rod of Excellent Magic is an Epic Rod that supplies a spell caster with with 2000 XP needed for spells. My questions is if you had 5, would it stack? (Cancelling out 10000 XP for you)

Also, would it work with "Powers" from Psionics?

Cog
2011-03-24, 10:23 PM
Once per day when casting a nonepic or epic spell that has an experience point component, the rod supplies up to 2,000 XP, not the caster. If more experience points are required to cast the spell, the caster provides them.
There's your answer.

As for whether a psionicist could use them, that's fuzzy enough to be a DM's call, but I'd lean towards yes.

Sims
2011-03-24, 10:24 PM
There's your answer.

As for whether a psionicist could use them, that's fuzzy enough to be a DM's call, but I'd lean towards yes.

Thats only if I have 1. It never specifically says whether the weilder has 2 or more.

Cog
2011-03-24, 10:39 PM
I fail to see how having two rods changes the fact that the caster is required to provide any remaining XP costs. Use of the item requires you to forgo any other sources of XP, including the use of a second rod. However, you could use the second rod for a second spell after you've used up the first for the day.

Douglas
2011-03-24, 11:04 PM
It's a case of specific vs specific. The first rod says the caster pays the rest, the second rod says it pays 2000 instead of the caster. Which one is more specific? In my opinion the "pay 2000" is specific while the "caster pays rest" is effectively just a reminder that yes, the rod does work when the total cost is higher, and yes you do have to pay any remainder.

Alternatively, the first rod states that the caster must provide the rest, but it says nothing about how the caster does so. In particular, it does not state that the caster must pay the rest from his personal accumulated XP. No part of that clause prohibits the caster from providing the remainder by means of some other source, such as another rod.

Marnath
2011-03-24, 11:06 PM
Use a Thought Bottle and burn as much XP as you like for a net loss of 500, and it's not even wonky by RAW.

Karsh
2011-03-24, 11:07 PM
It was pretty standard practice during some of the old Epic challenges a few years ago to use a "Fivefold" Rod of Excellent Magic that had 10,000 XP in it for developing epic spells. I don't think you can combine rods like that, or else we'd have people with an Empower Rod in one hand and a Maximize Rod in the other, but ask your DM for a souped up version.

Cog
2011-03-24, 11:14 PM
In my opinion the "pay 2000" is specific while the "caster pays rest" is effectively just a reminder...
So your opinion is to ignore half the description even when the entire description doesn't have any contradiction. That's fine, as long as you're aware you're doing so.

Alternatively, the first rod states that the caster must provide the rest, but it says nothing about how the caster does so.

...the rod supplies up to 2,000 XP, not the caster.
The first rod states that the caster must (somehow) supply the rest. The second rod states that the caster is not supplying that particular 2000 XP. Therefore, you have violated the requirements of the first.

I'm not familiar enough with epic play to judge which ruling is better, so I haven't factored that in at all. It's still a houseruling to use more than one.