PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapons - with a downside

bbugg
2011-03-25, 09:05 AM
I'm running a very low magic campaign in Iron Heros. The system is specifically designed so that you don't need magic items to keep up, which I quite like. Magic in this world is upredictable and dangerous, but some people have tamed it enough to get by.

So my charaters don't NEED magic items, but they sure are cool. I'd like to give them some stuff that makes life interesting, but is also somewhat dangerous or unpredictable.

For example, they just raided an ice castle of a powerful, long-dead ice-themed mage. So, in the loot, I included a sword and a few arrows that radiate cold and hurt to the thouch as well as a few extremely cold vials.

The sword and arrows inflict cold damage on contact, i.e. on a successful hit, or when you pick it up. I'm assuming they'll create some form of oven mit to use them safely, but on a natural 1 they'll accidentally touch it and take damage themselves and have a chance of dropping it.

I haven't told them yet if the vials are potions or not. I think it'll be interesting if they drink a spash weapon or throw a potion at a monster. In fact, I haven't decided myself which it will be. ;-)

Ok, that all said, any other interesting ideas? Preferably flashy magic with some, but not a lot of mechanical advantage. Ideally, net, the item will only be slightly beneficial, but really cool. They're currently level 5.

electricbee
2011-03-25, 09:08 AM
How about healing potions that deal twice the damage the heal as non-lethal damage ... to simulate the stress they put on your system forcing it to heal faster?

bbugg
2011-03-25, 09:14 AM
Hey, I like that. Iron Heroes has a slightly different hit point system - they use reserve points - but I can certainly use that concept!