PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thoughts on God of Monsters

Adamaro
2011-03-25, 10:01 AM
I, as a DM personally feel that monsters in my campaigns need a patron. I would really like your opinion on this, what would be its name and apperance

Ranos
2011-03-25, 10:03 AM
It's a bit of a large term. What's a monster ?
If it's everything in the monster manual, then that means every creature in existence.

Gensh
2011-03-25, 12:35 PM
It's a bit of a large term. What's a monster ?
If it's everything in the monster manual, then that means every creature in existence.

Except humans.

I think that the best fit would be Tiamat, who is ironically also the goddess of adventurers.

klemdakherzbag
2011-03-25, 02:12 PM
I believe that Pathfinder has a goddess of monsters called Lamashtu (iirc ) looks like a giant pregnant gnoll if memory serves...

Swooper
2011-03-25, 04:40 PM
There are plenty of monstrous gods out there. Gruumsh is the god of orcs. Kurtulmak is the god of kobolds. Maglubiyet is the god of goblins. Ilsenine is the god of illithid. Tiamat and Bahamut are the gods of dragonkind. I think the Yuan-ti had a god, and lizardfolk probably too. Most of the monsters intelligent enough to worship a deity already do, or have a reason not to.

You are of course free to change this for your own homebrewed setting, just thought I'd point this out.

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-25, 04:55 PM
Shub-Niggurath!
or if you're looking for something a bit more traditional, in some Christian-ish traditions Lilith is the mother of monsters (or the first vampire) and Echidna was known as "the mother of all monsters" in the Greek tradition.

This also sorta reminds me of tracker from marvel comics. He was the god of machines (as in all normal machines worshiped him). Unfortunately I think he only made one appearance.

Also Also, I'd go for it. Monsters need some help, what with all the scary adventurers running around.

Urpriest
2011-03-25, 07:08 PM
Honestly, unless you're going for a setting like Ancient Greece or Eberron, the idea of all monsters worshiping the same god just because they're monsters is more than a little silly.

big teej
2011-03-25, 07:23 PM
uhm....

Godzilla?
duh?

:smalltongue:

nyarlathotep
2011-03-25, 07:47 PM
We already know who the god-king of monsters is. It's godzilla he who crushes cities and creates epic level encounters by shedding. The tarrasque is but a pale imitation.

edit: ninja'd

edit edit: by over ten minutes, how did I miss that.