PDA

View Full Version : 3DS releases this weekend!

Sipex
2011-03-25, 02:16 PM
For those of you that care the 3DS comes out this weekend!

I preordered a blue one because it looked funky and I always get black so I thought I'd change things up. Don't have any games lined up for it (I just dropped $250 on the console, no extra cash) but will be looking forward to having a working DS.

Will probably get Ocarina of Time once the cash is available.

Anyone else getting one on sunday? Getting any games with it?

Crispy Dave
2011-03-25, 02:24 PM
I noticed it was coming out right when I found out I had gotten a job and thought "I know the first thing I'm buying". Looking forward to having a working DS so I don't have to use my sisters pink one for playing pokemon.

Sipex
2011-03-25, 02:35 PM
Oh, does anyone know if the Paper Mario game coming out for it (still in development) is a new game or a remake of the original N64 Paper Mario?

Deth Muncher
2011-03-25, 02:36 PM
As someone who works in a game store: I know I'm either going to wait until they go down in price AND we get a used one so I can get it cheaper than 250, or wait for a bundle thats got Pokemon Grey in it. :P

Zevox
2011-03-25, 02:47 PM
Oh, does anyone know if the Paper Mario game coming out for it (still in development) is a new game or a remake of the original N64 Paper Mario?
It's a new game.

Myself, I'm not getting it just yet. I'll wait for a game I'm interested in to come out first. Probably Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Zevox

Tjarnet
2011-03-25, 02:48 PM
I'm not planning on getting it for a while. DQVI and Pokemon White took up the last part of my money.

It's a new game entirely. Involving stickers, for some reason.

Ogremindes
2011-03-25, 04:08 PM
None of the launch titles seems interesting to me, and I need to see how the region-locking pans out as a significant portion of my DS games are imported American versions.

ScottishDragon
2011-03-25, 05:55 PM
I reccomend not buying it for children 6 and under :smalltongue:

Talvereaux
2011-03-25, 06:07 PM
I'm definitely getting it down the road, but not on the launch. Not racing for any of the launch titles--some are cool, but nothing I'd mark up as a high enough priority to grab ASAP.

Really hyping up for Kid Icarus: the Squeakquel, the new Paper Mario, and the N64 remakes when those come out.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-03-26, 10:53 AM
Hell yeah I'm getting it.

Zocelot
2011-03-26, 11:18 AM
I'm torn as to whether I should get it or not. Normally, I don't buy the newer versions of handhelds that I already own, and I already own a DS. However, it looks like they're making games that I won't be able to play on my DS. If this is really a new generation of handhelds, then I'll get one, but if this is a just an update of the DS, then I'm not going to spend my money on it. I just wish it was clearer which one it is.

Zevox
2011-03-26, 11:19 AM
I'm torn as to whether I should get it or not. Normally, I don't buy the newer versions of handhelds that I already own, and I already own a DS. However, it looks like they're making games that I won't be able to play on my DS. If this is really a new generation of handhelds, then I'll get one, but if this is a just an update of the DS, then I'm not going to spend my money on it. I just wish it was clearer which one it is.
It's a new generation of handhelds. How is that not clear? They've said that since it was first announced. :smallconfused:

Zevox

MoelVermillion
2011-03-26, 12:00 PM
It's a new generation of handhelds. How is that not clear? They've said that since it was first announced. :smallconfused:

Zevox

To expand on this I believe the 3DS has something in the region of four times the ram of the DSi, the DS will simply not be a powerful enough device to run 3DS games.

Suichimo
2011-03-26, 08:57 PM
Zevox is absolutely correct. The 3DS is a completely new generation of hardware that just shares the DS name, think Gameboy/Gameboy Advance, Playstation/Playstation 2/Playstation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360. None of them are the same generation of hardware, they just all share the same name.

None of the launch titles seems interesting to me, and I need to see how the region-locking pans out as a significant portion of my DS games are imported American versions.

Only region locked for 3DS titles, from what I'm told. I know for a fact that you can still play any DS game on it, so no worries there.

Edit: Oh, and might as well say that I'm picking up mine tomorrow along with SSFIV. Might pick up Samurai Warriors Chronicles next week.

Ogremindes
2011-03-26, 09:25 PM
Only region locked for 3DS titles, from what I'm told. I know for a fact that you can still play any DS game on it, so no worries there.

Oh, I assumed that, it's just that if interesting games are never published in Europe/Australia it'd be better to get an import 3DS.

Moonshadow
2011-03-26, 09:28 PM
Region locking is a major turn off for me, so I really honestly have my doubts about buying a 3DS.

I mean, seriously, in this day and age, do we really NEED region locking anymore? It serves no worthwhile purpose that I can see.

OracleofWuffing
2011-03-27, 04:10 PM
Well, I got it. I can finally play my DS games without a power outlet now.

Lord Seth
2011-03-27, 06:01 PM
Pre-ordered it months ago off amazon.com, though it doesn't look like I'll get it until Wednesday. On the plus side, amazon.com is giving a $25 credit on your first 3DS game if you buy a DS from them, which is nice (I think you also get $5 off your second game and a free accessory of your choice, though the accessories you can choose are only like $7 anyway).

Ordinarily I probably would've waited but my current DS's L and R keys don't work, and it made more sense to me to get this one right away than buy another DS, then end up buying a 3DS eventually anyway.

Deth Muncher
2011-03-28, 09:06 AM
A fellow coworker got it, and was fooling around with it. The 3d picture option is kind of fail-y, but as I said before, Pilot Wings looked nice.

I'm still not getting it until the better releases come out though.

Comet
2011-03-28, 09:41 AM
Going to get it, eventually.

For now, though, I'm sticking with my DS. I still have a full handful of masterpieces that I haven't managed to play yet on it, especially since the sequel to Devil Survivor is apparently a DS game and not a 3DS one.

But I'm really excited for the 3DS. Once we get some proper games going, I'm pretty confident that it's going to be just about the best thing to happen to gaming in a long while.

Zevox
2011-03-28, 09:49 AM
especially since the sequel to Devil Survivor is apparently a DS game and not a 3DS one.
Eh? I thought the only new Devil Survivor was the 3DS remake? *checks Wikipedia*

Holy crap, there is a Devil Survivor 2 being made! How did I not hear of this before?! That is fantastic news :smallbiggrin: . Odd choice to make it a DS game instead of a 3DS one, but still awesome.

Zevox

Sipex
2011-03-28, 10:39 AM
Well, I picked it up on sunday, took 2 hours to get it and get home by bus (the sunday bus schedule sucks) but it was worth it.

Didn't get any games for it but I bought it now because the hinge on my old DS is broken and I had the money now (which would have gone somewhere else had I not stuck it on the 3DS, it always does :S)

It's really nice, the built in games are an interesting gimmicky distraction that show off it's capabilities. DS games look fine to me as well, been playing pokemon on it since I got it. Haven't noticed any messed up graphics or anything.

I like and dislike that it's shiny. It looks pretty but I have the compulsion to buff off the fingerprints when I use it :/.

The charging station is nice too, I just set it up in my room and leave it plugged in.

Can't wait for the bigger games to come out though, very excited for those.

Zevox
2011-03-28, 09:17 PM
So, while I still don't have one myself, a couple of my friends at work got them day 1. Both have informed me that the battery issues are nowhere near as bad as teh interwebs indicated - one said he got a good 7 hours of straight play out of his yesterday with the 3D on, the other said she played for 3.5 hours with the 3D at 3/4 and the light at 4 (not sure of what, but she said 4) and only lost one bar of power from that. So I was very pleased to hear that, as that has been my one real apprehension about the system.

The latter of the two had hers with her, and let me try one of the "augmented reality" games that came with it. That was weird. I'll say this for it: that will either be an entirely pointless gimmick that no one uses, or it'll provide new and interesting games the likes of which we haven't seen before. If I were a betting man, I'd say it'll be a pointless gimmick, but the simple fact that I'd even consider the latter possible is a tad exciting I'll admit.

The 3D was, well, surprisingly underwhelming. I was expecting it to pop out of the screen, not provide an illusion of additional depth behind the screen. That just seems even more pointless than I already thought 3D was. But eh, it's not like I was ever really interested in the 3D anyway, so no big deal. At least it was working, and nice and easy to use, as advertised.

Zevox

Ogremindes
2011-03-28, 09:26 PM
Odd choice to make it a DS game instead of a 3DS one, but still awesome.

Not so odd for Atlus, really. Anyway, the DS is cheaper to develop for and has a much larger install base.

bluewind95
2011-03-28, 10:58 PM
I have one. It's... awesome. It's everything I expected it to be and more. I don't mind the images not popping out. If they did, the hands would get in the way and buttons and whatnot, anyways. By putting the 3-D behind the screen, it keeps it nice and confined and much easier to focus on. My eyes seem to adapt easily to the 3D. And I though that the "sweet spot" was much smaller than it really is. As it is, I have very little trouble with it. And if I do, all I need to do is close one eye if the moving-around is temporary. Then when I put it back where it's supposed to go, I open the eye again. It's natural and comfortable for me. The built-in games are quite fun, too. And I've had WAY too much fun with the camera. Sure, they're not professional-grade pictures. But they're "have mindless fun with this camera"-grade pictures. You can put silly effects on them and just seeing them in 3D is neat. I didn't get any actual 3DS carts because they had none and none of the games really interested me anyways. But that's okay. I just wanted the 3DS for now. I can use it as a DS. And then I can have much fun with silly things on it. Like the camera. Or Face Raiders, which is pretty awesome.

I'm just sad they are region-locking the DS games, really.

Lord Seth
2011-03-29, 01:29 PM
I'm a little confused about what the point of the charging station is, considering that you can plug the adapter straight into the 3DS itself (like the DS).

I'm thinking of getting one of the launch titles but aren't sure which; on gamerankings.com, only one has even cracked 80% (Super Street Fighter IV 3D), and I'm really not a fan of fighting games outside of Super Smash Bros. I was interested in checking Bust-A-Move Universe, Lego Star Wars, and/or Super Monkey Ball 3D (never played any of those series but they looked interesting), but they don't look like they got particularly high reviews either. The highest one that looks particularly interesting is is the Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars game (78%)...is that one any good?

Sipex
2011-03-29, 01:32 PM
Sometimes you need to try 'bad' games yourself. Barring that, stop looking at the score and read the comments. Think: "If there was no score attached to this, would I still consider playing it on the comments alone?"

edit: Also, I can plug it straight into my 3DS? I couldn't find the plug, I'll have to take another look.

Lord Seth
2011-03-29, 01:57 PM
Sometimes you need to try 'bad' games yourself.Except "trying" them costs a fair amount of money.

edit: Also, I can plug it straight into my 3DS? I couldn't find the plug, I'll have to take another look.The plug slot is just to the right of the cartridge slot.

Sipex
2011-03-29, 02:00 PM
Oh jeez, I completely scanned over that.

Also, try your local game store demo booths or wait for the wii to start pumping out 3ds demos.

Or, if you're like me and have the impulsive friend who buys bad games, borrow them!

If none of these options are available...maybe youtube?

bluewind95
2011-03-29, 04:31 PM
I'm a little confused about what the point of the charging station is, considering that you can plug the adapter straight into the 3DS itself (like the DS).

I'm thinking of getting one of the launch titles but aren't sure which; on gamerankings.com, only one has even cracked 80% (Super Street Fighter IV 3D), and I'm really not a fan of fighting games outside of Super Smash Bros. I was interested in checking Bust-A-Move Universe, Lego Star Wars, and/or Super Monkey Ball 3D (never played any of those series but they looked interesting), but they don't look like they got particularly high reviews either. The highest one that looks particularly interesting is is the Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars game (78%)...is that one any good?

I think it's just looks. And possibly to make it sliiiightly faster to grab when one left it charging.

As for the launch titles... I dunno. None looked anywhere near the stuff I'd play even if they'd received awesome reviews, so...

Fri
2011-03-31, 12:19 AM
Yeah, I'll definitely get one, but later, when the game choices are already better. I'm having high hopes for this console, I really do.

Sipex
2011-03-31, 09:32 AM
So I finally dinged my first streetpass with this thing after...3 and 1/2 days of having it on for streetpass.

Mind, I'm not out and about often, the days in question have all been work days so I'm indoors for 8+ hours already and my only outdoor time with the 3DS on streetpass has been the 3 blocks to and from work to the bus.

bluewind95
2011-03-31, 02:08 PM
I dinged mine yesterday! Someone at work has the 3DS too. No idea who they are or what area they even work in, but that was an amusing thing to see.

In the meantime, I've been having much fun with the Mii maker. I even made OoTS-miis. They're not VERY accurate (Especially not Vaarsuvius...) due to design limitations, but it's still fun.

I also beat the final stage of Face Raiders. Which left me exhausted, but hey. I beat it!

Sipex
2011-03-31, 02:11 PM
I do have one complaint about the Mii maker.

When are they going to make better facial hair options? I have a goatee (mustache + van dyke) and the closest I can get is the van dyke half of the equation as the mustache choices are pretty sad at best.

bluewind95
2011-03-31, 02:14 PM
Yeah, apart from hairstyles, the Mii maker is pretty limited.

I want more skin colors and accessories and hair colors and eye colors and mouths and eyes and....

I'd say 20 pages of customizable stuff per item would be about right.

I like to make all sorts of silly thing and I'm shocked I can't make a kitty like the ones in the Find Mii game!

Dragero
2011-04-01, 06:47 PM
Just got my 3DS today, but no games yet.

I've got to say, this thing is really amazing! Face raiders is awesome, and I love looking silly running around my table playing the AR games!

I'm just not sure on what game to get in a couple weeks......SSF4, Pilot wings, ghost recon, or Samurai warriors.

Any suggestions? This isn't really a "I am only getting these" list, just a list of cool looking games.

Weimann
2011-04-02, 12:37 PM
I got a blue 3DS and Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition last weekend. It's not the game to make the most out of the 3D feature, but it's a game I've cursed my lack of a PS3 or Xbox 360 over, so it had to be my first buy.

All in all, the 3D effects look much better than I expected. They're easier to see and brought more to the experience than I gave them credit for, even to a game like Street Fighter that basically defined the 2D fighting game. There are several other games I've been wanting, but it'll have to wait a bit so I don't blow all my cash in a single month.

The only complaints would be the limited battery time and the fact that I'm unfamiliar with using the control stick over the + pad.

Giovedi
2011-04-02, 10:14 PM
I'm unemployed at the 'mo so I didn't buy me one, but I did mess around with the demo at the local tech store. I'm pleasantly surprised at how un-eye-hurty the 3D effect is.

bluewind95
2011-04-03, 09:48 PM
It is, isn't it? Especially if you're used to the "Magic Eye" images. It focuses pretty much in the same way.

I have found out, though, that the 3DS does not do well under the sunlight. The image doesn't focus properly and I find I must turn the 3D off.

Mando Knight
2011-04-04, 07:18 PM
I don't have a 3DS (yet), but I stopped in at Gamestop today while running an errand... and I was impressed. The 3DS was exactly as good in the demo stand as I had been led to believe. It really makes me wish I had $300 so I could get a 3DS and SSF IV 3D, as it is hands-down the best 3D effect I have ever seen, and doesn't need any of the special apparatuses that other 3D effects require.

bluewind95
2011-04-06, 05:15 PM
Isn't it just wonderful?

I was watching some images of the Ocarina of Time remake... wow. I SO want that game already. I kinda wish Nintendo had waited a liiiiiiiiittle bit and released those awesome games at launch. None of the games that are out are of my interest (though I still got it for myself as an early birthday gift!). I can't wait for the StarFox remake and the Zelda remake and THEN they're also going to release a Paper Mario game!

My Christmas list is going to be expensive... :smalltongue: