PDA

View Full Version : Skype session background music?

Rixx
2011-03-25, 04:21 PM
I'm going to be running an online tabletop game through Skype with some friends soon, and I'd like to be able to play background music files during the game. Is there an easy way to mix in Winamp's output with my voice, or is there another easy solution? Does anyone have any experience in the matter?

I've tried using Shoutcast (too much delay), recording the output of a separate machine in a Skype call (the music would fade out whenever anyone talked), and looking for plugins that would do it (none of them work).

begooler
2011-03-27, 11:26 AM
Have you tested all of your players being online and talking at the same time? You may want to see how smoothly things run with that before you think about adding music.
We used Skype for a long distance campaign for a while. I don't know if you've used it before, but the conference call just does not run as smoothly as an individual chat. We had lots of problems with the sound quality, and with the program doing strange things to people's voices. Eventually, we had to give up on it and buy a server on Ventrilo. (Which might have a way to add sound to the background actually...)

Sorry that this isn't actually a solution, just more problems.

Rixx
2011-03-27, 04:07 PM
I ended up running the game without music, and it otherwise went very smoothly.

For the record, I did find a way to combine Winamp's output with my microphone input, and tested it with a friend of mine who said it sounded all right, so I'll see how it goes and let you all know how I did it if it works.

Anxe
2011-03-29, 10:18 AM
My experience is that it works horribly, but that was with me using a stereo outside of my computer. I guess you can try it out and if it stinks then you can switch back to going without music.