PDA

View Full Version : Personal Rope Trick

NeverSleep
2011-03-25, 04:21 PM
I'm looking to have a version of rope trick that opens the same dimensional pocket open every time. That way you could store bed rolls, a desk for studying, familiar cage, loot, locked scroll cases, etc...

I'm thinking just pump the level by 1 or 2 and retain the same size and duration.

Thoughts?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-03-26, 02:49 AM
I'm looking to have a version of rope trick that opens the same dimensional pocket open every time. That way you could store bed rolls, a desk for studying, familiar cage, loot, locked scroll cases, etc...

I'm thinking just pump the level by 1 or 2 and retain the same size and duration.

Thoughts?

The next closest spell is L's Secret Chest:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secretChest.htm

What restrictions are you willing to place on this spell to keep it at the lower level you want?

NeverSleep
2011-03-27, 02:14 PM
Good spell to reference.

I think it would be good to combine elements of both spells. The chest lasts 60 days and it can be recalled with a standard action. I don't think that is necessary, so we can lose that.

The length of the spell is so long...

Now I'm thinking, make 2 paired spells

lv. 4 Spell:

Fastbender's Foire:

You create a extra dimensional space that only you have access to, similar to rope trick's effect. The space is 10x10 per caster level. It is in existence for 60 days.

Verbal, somatic
1 hour casting time

Material component: 2,000 gold

Lv. 1 Spell:

Fastbender's Doorway:

You create an entrance to your "Fastbender's Foire" that can be used by any creature for up 1 minute per caster level, or until dismissed.

Verbal, Somatic
10 minute casting time

Any thoughts on this config?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-03-27, 02:25 PM
Okay, making the mage use a level 1 spell to conjure the extradimensional space is actually pretty balancing. Make sure to specify the difference between focuses and material components.

However, I'm concerned about the size. This far outclasses a bag of holding. Maybe make it be a 3'x3' space, and one foot per two caster levels tall. Very cramped for hiding in, but useful for storage.

Also, you need to specify what it does to living creatures. Most extradimensional spaces have no air.

Maybe you could make it more balanced by requiring an actual door as the focus (so basically, the spell lets you turn any door into access to your extradimensional space.)

Sacrieur
2011-03-27, 04:45 PM
Put your stuff in a bag of holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding) and then cast rope trick. Remove said items from bag of holding and commence studying. This works because in the errata bag of holding can safely be taken into extra-dimensional spaces such as Mordekainen's Magnificent Mansion and Rope Trick.

DracoDei
2011-03-28, 05:15 PM
lv. 4 Spell:

Fastbender's Foire:

You create a extra dimensional space that only you have access to, similar to rope trick's effect. The space is 10x10 per caster level. It is in existence for 60 days.

Verbal, somatic
1 hour casting time

Material component: 2,000 gold

10 x 10 x WHAT? You need to say.

Also, obviously, this needs a more favorful material component, although for balance purposes you specified the most important aspect.

Melayl
2011-03-28, 10:51 PM
Also, obviously, this needs a more favorful material component...

Perhaps they actually have to build/have built a 10x10x(i'm assuming)10 room as the material component? And perhaps supply additonal materials to expand the size (since it does say per caster level).

The level is probably right... Mage’s Magnificent Mansion (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mike/Desktop/Mike's%20Gaming%20Stuff/D%26D%20Stuff/sovelior_sage/spellsMtoO.html#mages-magnificent-mansion) creats up to 3 10' cubes per level, and has servants and furnishings and food (and air...) and is 7th level. And the same casting creates the doorway. You can't store things there, however...

On the other hand, you have Secure Shelter (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mike/Desktop/Mike's%20Gaming%20Stuff/D%26D%20Stuff/sovelior_sage/spellsS.html#secure-shelter), which is 4th level, and actually creates a 20' cottage with door, etc and crude furnishings for 8, and is protected by an Alarm spell. You can come and go as desired during the duration. But you can't store things their, either...

Benly
2011-03-29, 12:24 AM
However, I'm concerned about the size. This far outclasses a bag of holding.

It's probably worth mentioning that a bag of holding doesn't make you expend a spell slot every time you want to dig something out or put something in. This doesn't replace a BoH (or more likely a haversack) for utility purposes.

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 11:24 AM
It's probably worth mentioning that a bag of holding doesn't make you expend a spell slot every time you want to dig something out or put something in. This doesn't replace a BoH (or more likely a haversack) for utility purposes.

It's also worth mentioning that a type III bag of holding contains 1.5x the amount of space found in the spells current state, and a type IV bag of holding contains 2.5x. And here's the fun part, you can place bags of holding inside bags of holding. Which means you can have virtually limitless storage space for 15 lbs.

flabort
2011-03-29, 08:27 PM
That you need to expend a 4th level spell to make it, but only once/6o days, and a 1st level spell each time you want in, is a balancing factor, I'll agree. And that a type III or IV outclasses it is interesting.
I'll second DracoDei's complaint that we don't know how tall it is, and so could store a large sailing ship, or the titanic, in it, even at minimum CL, because we don't know how tall it is.

and I'll throw in 2 spells of my own, If you don't mind. If you do, sorry, Didn't mean to step on your toes.

2nd level spell
Fastbender's Backdoor:
You turn a small wooden chip into an item that can be used a number of times equal to half your caste level, which can be used to access your "Fastbender's Foire". This wooden chip lasts 2 hours/caster level, maximum 24, and can be activated simply by rubbing the little finger along a groove in it's surface (DC 15 UMD check to activate blindly, rather than 25). When used, it functions as if you'd cast "Fastbender's Doorway" at the user's position. It disintegrates into useless powder when used for the last time or when the duration is up.
The caster cannot use the Backdoor himself.

Verbal, somantic
30 minute casting time

material component: A wooden chip

3rd level spell
Fastbender's secure Backdoor:
You turn a wooden chip into a magic item useable a number of times equal to your caster level, that only a single person chosen when the spell is cast can use. It can be activated by rubbing the little finger along a groove on one side, or a DC 15 blind UMD check, rather than 25. It only lasts a number of hours equal to twice your caster level, and functions as if you'd cast "Fastbender's Doorway" at the user's location when used, although only the user and his equipment can pass through the doorway. The chip dissintegrates into a useless powder when used for the last time or the duration ends.

verbal, somantic
30 minute casting time

Material component: a wooden chip, and a drop of the intended user's blood